Chapter 37 – Memory fragments
1.5k 1 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Queen didn’t know what she did. Her power never worked this way. She found herself in an unfamiliar place. She meowed, but the humans around her didn’t see or hear her. She tried to touch some things, but her paw went through on them. She guessed it was some kind of illusion.

She walked around and saw some machines she didn’t know what their use was. But there were some kids around 10 years old connected to them, and they injected different kinds of liquids into their bodies. The children’s bodies turned into different kinds of colors. Some shouted, some twitched, but after a while, all of them died.

„Failure again...” Queen heard a tired voice.

She looked around and found its owner. He was a white haired, 50 years old man. He sat in a chair and read some documents. He hugged a 5 years old girl and sometimes patted her head. Queen watched that familiar face, and her eyes widened. She was Gardena.

The surrounding changed, and there was another failed experiment. This time, Gardena was 8 years old and stood behind his father.

Queen didn’t know why she knew the connection between the girl and the old researcher. She just knew it. As she knew, her father was responsible for the research related to the virus that changed the world. Sometimes he took Gardena with himself and let her see his research.

After seeing some similar experiments, Queen understood she somehow entered Gardena’s memories. It was her first time doing this, so she was at a loss about how to leave. In the end, she chose to watch. Maybe she could find some useful information.

The memory fragments were short, almost all of them were about Gardena’s father. She slowly grew up and went into the institution sometimes. There wasn’t any interesting thing until she turned 16.

That year the research finally showed some results. Her father was so happy, he went home and spent some days with his daughter. After so many years, he even remembered her birthday. He told Gardena he prepared a big gift for her but forgot it in the institution. They needed to go there and get it.

Her father sudden kindness made Gardena confused. Her only family member was her father, and she wished to spend more time with him. That’s why she went to the institution. She didn’t care about the present, she only wanted her father’s attention. But she was destined to be disappointed. Before she could reach, she was tied to a bed, and her father smiled at her.

„I took a big step with my research recently! Finally, I can enchant the human’s body! You are my daughter, of course, I can’t let you be left behind by the evolved kids!” he took out the injection and his face turned fanatic. „Once the time comes, this virus will spread out in the whole world! You can start earlier and work had to sit on the throne! Later, no one can look down on you!”

But the virus wasn’t as perfect as he believed. Those awakened powers were too weak. Gardena and the other kids lost their freedom and became test subjects. Day after day, the researchers tried out different kinds of things to make them stronger, but they only remembered about the suffering. One after another, they lost their will to live and died on the operating table.

3 years passed, and Gardena somehow survived. She didn’t hate her father. She was just disappointed. She couldn’t trust anyone anymore. She had lesser experiments than the others because her power wasn’t that useful. She could only control a person’s body for 10 seconds, but they needed to be closer than 20 meters.

There was a young boy, around 17 years old, with the power of fire. But the blaze he could lit up was as little as a lighter’s. And after some seconds, his body ran out of energy and became comatose for 3 days. He became the favorite subject of a young promising researcher. She only joined the team for 5 months and succeeded. But it caused a mutation. The boy could turn any parts of his body into bombs. He was already mentally unstable, and this power was good for his revenge. He turned his whole body onto a bomb and destroyed part of the institution.

In the middle of the chaos, Gardena and the other test subjects ran away. They tried to hide and live an ordinary life, but all of their memories were about the experiments and pain they went through. They didn’t know how to live in the society. Later, soldiers appeared and captured them.

Queen couldn’t find out who was behind the experiments or the soldiers. Was it the same person or not? Those memories didn’t tell her anything.

Gardena hid in the slum, but her luck wasn’t good. She was captured by some hooligans and they played with her until they became bored. But they didn’t let her go. They taught her how to please a man, then sold her to a club.

In the beginning, she tried to run away, but she was captured and beaten up. Later, she realized this life was better than being a test subject and gave up her resistance. Expect with some pervert clients she enjoyed her job. And slowly, she learned how to use her power.

Originally, she thought she could control the body for some seconds. But once she touched them, the control became stronger. After a kiss, she could influence even their minds for some hours. The more intimate she was with them, the longer the effect lasted. But after having sex, the control was complete. The only drawback was that sometimes those men became stubborn and only carried out her command after she slept with them. Later, Gardena changed it into a reward, and the men became more obedient.

She knew those researchers and soldiers still tried to find her. She needed to find a strong supporter. That’s how she ended up choosing Vincent. She never wanted to take revenge. She just wanted to live an easy life. She almost got everything, but her father suddenly appeared, and the virus broke out...

Queen felt the world spinning around her, then she was back to reality. She confusedly looked up.

Vincent sweated and had a hard time controlling his body. But he succeeded. He found a chance to move and captured Gardena’s neck. He broke it without pause and watched her life slowly fade away in his hand.

In his previous life, he already killed her once. That time he put down his hatred. He didn’t want to do anything with her in this life. If she just left peacefully...

Only now did Vincent realize how naive he was. Why would a person change? He could only hate himself for his stupidity. All of Klaye’s injuries were caused by him!

He threw the lifeless body on the ground. He sighed and patted Queen’s head. „You are a big help!” He didn’t want to think about how they would end up if the cat wasn’t here. His consciousness cleaned up, and he realized a lot of mistakes he did. He couldn’t believe part of his mind was still under Gardena’s control...

Queen was still confused because of the memories. She watched the dead woman on the ground and sighed. She jumped down and sat next to her.

While watching those memories, Queen noticed some similarities between the two of them. Before she met Klaye, she thought the same way too. She couldn’t trust anyone. She wanted to control everyone around her and build up her kingdom with brainwashed followers. At that time, this idea sounded good. Only now did she understood how stupid she was.

For those who were controlled by mind control, their thinking would have some problems. They only cared about to carry out the command, they didn’t think about how to do it. Most of the time, they used the easiest way, and it made everything worse.

Even now, they just stood there and watched Gardena’s death because deep inside their heart, they didn’t care about her life. If only one of them followed her willingly, then the fight didn’t end so easily.

Queen watched the confused men, who slowly came back to their senses. She saw the astonishment on their faces after realizing what they did.

She sighed and looked at Gardena. ’We’re similar. I, too, thought that building a kingdom with my power was the best choice. That way, no one can betray me... But do you know? There is always someone who stronger than the other. Once the control is broken, I’ll be alone against everyone... Where is it different than being betrayed? This or that way, in the end, you just die...’ she mocked her or herself, she didn’t know. She just laughed. ’Gladly, someone taught me this lesson in time...’

Vincent was stunned. He watched the cat and realized she was right. In the past, she died because of this. But in this life, she ended up in Klaye’s hand and changed her way of thinking.

Vincent stepped closer and wanted to say something, but a strong wind bypassed them.

’Kya!’ Queen’s eyes widened as she shouted. Gardena’s head suddenly disappeared.

Vincent was shocked, then his body shook from the rage. „That stupid zombie!”

42