Chapter 1 Enlistment.
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1

I was barely eighteen when I registered for the Tithe. I was going to serve the Imperium just like so many great men had done before me. I was lucky that I got a few weeks of training before my first deployment, I had heard stories of entire regiments who didn't get any and were just immediately deployed. Luckily I was not in one of those. To tell you the truth I do not know the name of the regiment I was in. At the time I didn't know any High Gothic, the only time I  had ever heard it was in church. My first deployment wasn't a particularly nasty one, but like all of them would come with great losses. 

The common rabble had heard plenty of rumors of what was going on in the war. The rumors do not even begin to encapsulate the horror. The first time I saw combat happened two months after I had signed up. I had just finished my basic training and was sent to help with the fight against traitorous rebels just one system over. I was of course excited. How could I not be?

I was at the mess hall, grabbing some wonderful, delicious grub, when the alarm went off. Klaxons sounded with their shifting pitch that instantly sent everyone to their feet. I immediately went to my station just as I was trained to do. 

What the hell is going on?

Soon enough I got my answer. My commanding officer debriefed my squad.

"A small pirate fleet was spotted nearby and the ship has been placed on high alert. It has been decided that we shall be one of the squads that will have the honor of boarding them and removing that filth from the galaxy. So prep your gear and report to the main deck. From there you will be deployed. Am I clear?"

"YES SIR!" the squad called back.

This was going to be fun.

1