Local Girl Mad at Magic Muesli
1.6k 23 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Massive thanks to Trismegistus Shandy for looking over this chapter. Please check out their work at TGstorytime here and Big Closet here. They are an absolute legend.
I've been dealing with a shit ton of issues surrounding my ADHD and medications that have been making it hard to write. The next parts on Wattpad are gonna take a while since they are a lot longer. Next part might also be a longer wait than usual since I'm writing something completely new instead of rewriting. Sorry about all this I wanted to stick to an every 4 days schedule. As always favourites and comments are always appreciated.
Also, I had too much fun with this title.

After the weekend, things were mostly uneventful. It was odd how despite what had happened on the weekend, nothing seemed to change. Her mum drove her to school, and she went to class. Homeroom was quieter than usual though; she could hear Ben trying to talk to James, but he wasn’t getting much of a response. It seemed like today she wouldn’t have to deal with crap from either of them. She tried to give James a comforting smile, but she wasn’t sure if he saw it.

Classes went by quickly; most of the work was easy, which gave her brain plenty of time to think about James' situation. She had seen weird things happen at this school: food appearing in her bag when she forgot, projectiles being launched by nothing and hitting jerks in the head, and once she swore she’d seen the chairs in the classrooms moving around on their own. She’d even started setting her phone up in her locker to try and catch whatever was causing this on camera, but she hadn’t had much luck. It was hard to find any connections between these phenomena; all the information she had to go off came from her friends and Nick, and none of that had made things any clearer. So far, nothing even close to James’ transformation had happened, which made things even worse. She was being forced to rely on practical solutions to magical problems!

She figured the best thing to do to help James was to talk to Adam. He was always willing to help people he thought needed it, and he was a pro at presenting masculine. He was handsome, his voice was high yet somehow distinctly masculine, and he was confident; any advice Adam had to give would hopefully help James out a lot. Adam passed extremely well; most people probably wouldn't be able to tell he was trans, even if he didn’t see the point in hiding it while still at school. Katie admired that about him; he was proud of who he was. She wanted to be like that. 

Class ended, and she went to her locker and got out her phone. The phone’s battery was almost dead; if she didn’t catch anything today, she would have to try something else. This method wasn’t going to be sustainable in the long run. She hoped it would find something, anything. Especially when sitting right under it was another fucking muesli bar. She reviewed the footage on her way to her friend group. The only thing she learned was that this force or whatever it was might like to mess with people.

Their group hung out where the teachers could see, and they could get food. Teachers at school tended to be pretty good when it came to trans people, even if they were completely oblivious to bullying unless it was pointed out to them. She’d been introduced to this group of people around a month after she’d stopped talking to James. Adam had helped her pick up her books after something (she suspected it might be that force) knocked them out of her hands. Since then she’d been quickly accepted as a part of their group, even if she was the only trans fem person there.

Talking to Adam had to be her priority, not that she minded. There were worse fates than talking to a cute guy. It just sucked that right now it was on behalf of someone else.

"Hey, Adam! I need some advice about passing as a boy," she said. There were probably better ways to word that and better ways to greet someone, but her brain was mush. 

"Sure, but if I may ask why you would want to do that?" 

She wasn't exactly sure how to say her asshole of a friend suddenly got sex-bent, so she decided to do the logical thing and lie. 

"I have a friend that has discovered he might be trans.” Short and sweet and not quite a lie. It worked with what she asked on the weekend.

"Oh, okay, I’m guessing this is what you were asking about yesterday, right? Aside from bras and binders, working out can help with things like chest size and shoulder broadness," he explained. Getting James to work out would be hard. “Also confidence goes a long way.”

“Do you have anything for his voice?

“I’ve been trying this humming method which seems to work? I can send you some links." It was a relief to know she wouldn’t have to figure out how to help James alone. 

"That would be great, Adam!" She was glad that she could count on Adam.

"No problem; let him know that if he needs help, I'm always down to talk."

"I will when I next talk to him," she said with a smile. Adam was kind, but she wasn’t sure how he would be around James. As far as she knew, neither had talked to each other before.

"So how have you been doing with your weirdness hunting?" he asked with genuine curiosity. The way he always asked made her feel valued. She was the first to admit that occasionally she got too into her weirdness-hunting shenanigans; she rambled too much and she could see the boredom on their faces as she tried to finish her thoughts so she could leave them alone. Adam never wore that look of boredom. He always had the softest smile on his face.

It was because of that, that he was one of the few people she’d told about the things she saw going on. When they first met, he’d seemed to believe her story about why she’d dropped her books; he found her story about the invisible force intriguing. She would tell him every time something new happened and he would listen, even occasionally mentioning the odd occurrences he encountered; his encounters tended to be small things, he’d never seen a jerk be hit in the head with a wad of paper, yet he still believed her. Now that she had found something huge, it felt weird not to tell him.

"Something big and weird is going down. That's all I can say. I'm trying to figure it out, so I'll let you know when I have more information," she lied. She wanted to tell him more, but she couldn’t just tell people about James’ situation and it wasn’t like Adam would believe something that big without proof, no matter how open-minded he was to the things she had seen.

"You can't tease me like that, Katie," he joked. "Are you sure you can't give me a few details?" He was attempting the puppy dog eyes; she was tempted to tell him something but resisted the urge. Just because he was cute didn’t mean she would compromise the case.

"It's classified! Though other things have kept happening. I decided to record the inside of my bag to catch what might be delivering the muesli bars into our bags; I forgot lunch today, and guess what?" She realised how quickly she’d changed the topic, and how dorky she must have sounded while rambling.

"What? You realised you need to remember to bring food?" he teased with a smile gracing his face. Sometimes she wanted to slap him for caring about her wellbeing.

"There was a muesli bar. Under my phone. All that happened on the recording was a slight noise. It's ridiculous," she ranted. “Not even on top of the phone, the source of this stuff somehow made it appear under the phone. It has to be fucking with me.”

"Sounds like it; I can’t blame it, though. Seeing you talk about this stuff is pretty cute."

"Hey!” She was blushing furiously. He was such an ass sometimes, she did not deserve this slander. “You can’t just say that!”

“Why not?” He was smirking. 

“Because I’m trying to think.”

“How about you sit down and eat your muesli bar?” She was pretty hungry.

“At least it was a good muesli bar; it had chocolate chips in it," she said. The way it had appeared didn’t seem to make the bar itself paranormal. It was just a regular home brand muesli bar. Nothing on its wrapping or ingredients betrayed any new information about the force at hand. "How about you? Any stupid magic muesli on your end?"

"No surprise snacks, but my voice has been getting deeper. You wouldn't think that only a little bit of practice would provide these kinds of results, though. Maybe it’s related?” She could hear the difference in his voice; it wasn’t major, just a slightly lower pitch with some cracking, but it seemed like a start. His voice already passed for a prepubescent guy, now it sounded like his voice had just started cracking. “My chest has been shrinking as well, but that could just be the working out?" 

She brought her fingers to her chin while she thought about this information. It was possible that this was all the result of training, especially the changes that had started after he started training, but everything seemed way too fast. Adam wasn’t even on testosterone yet; he was still waiting on the incompetent medical system. 

"Did you find a connection, Velma?" he teased.

"It might be related to the classified case," she thought out loud.

"You need to tell me about it when you can. This sounds interesting."

 

41