Chapter 9: Sophia
912 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Daron awoke with a start, eliciting a sharp pain from his torso. Deciding that moving wasn’t the best option at this moment, he looked around where he was.

 

For the first time in this life, Daron found himself in a room, an actual room! He didn’t expect to miss rooms this much! Looking around the room the walls were made of wood, a Dark brown giving the room a cozy look, and on the floor was a shaggy rug. He seemed to be in a living room, the large hearth and a table with a few chairs around it gave off a strong feeling of home.

 

Daron noticed the consistent shallow breathing of a sleeping person, it wasn’t hard to find the source. A teen girl with medium length black hair, chubby cheeks making her easily mistakable for someone younger if it weren’t for her height. She was wearing a casual dress, a white one, probably worn only around the house to keep from getting dirty.

 

While looking out the window he saw the forest a good distance away, probably talking about ten minutes on foot, with the sun almost reaching its zenith. With the positioning of the sun, it wasn’t hard for him to guess he had been out for about twelve hours.

 

This brought up the question of the hour, what happened? He passed out after fighting the Tunnel Snake King, so how did he end up here? Well, I guess it’s pretty obvious the girl, or most likely a relative of hers had found him and brought him home. Looking at the bandages, that were covering his torso, it probably wasn’t the girl, having been wrapped too expertly for a girl her age to have done.

 

Checking his status, he decided it was time to find out how bad his injuries were.

 

Status

Name: Daron

Race: Horned rabbit

Titles: ‘Other planer’ ‘prodigy’ ‘spellcaster’ ^’Over Achiever’ (3 till bonus to lowest stat) ‘Spell prodigy(Scorching Ray)’ ‘Overturning nature’

LV: 7/10 > 8/10

XP: 152/235 > 242/235 > 7/380

HP: 40/40 > 35/50

MP: 280/280 > 300/300

Def: 8 > 10

SP: 0 > 2

Str: 14 > 15

Vit: 8 > 10

Agi: 14 > 16

Int: 28 > 30

 

35/50? Not bad, definitely better than how he should be doing right about now. It also seemed his level up might have saved his life, receiving an extra 10 HP would have been the difference from bleeding out and being on death’s door. He put his SP into Str and Int while looking at all the other things he had gotten.

 

His gains were immense as they said ‘fortune favors the bold’. Not only had he leveled once, and bumped up one of his titles to unique, he had also gained another unique title!

 

He already knew that Overachiever would be the same, just with every 3 levels instead of 5. But what was overturning nature? He had never seen this title before, and it sparked a curiosity in him. No use wasting time, when he could just get the answer.

 

Title: Overturning Nature

Grade: Unique

You have overturned the laws of Nature and have slaughtered a natural predator of your species.

Effects: Immunity to fear effects from level difference, Grade difference, or passive Racial skills and resistance to other Fear effects

 

This! This was incredible! Of all the effects, the one giving immunity to racial skills was undoubtedly the best. Monsters with higher grades would usually gain skills that could give them an advantage in battle, such as dragons having ‘Draconic Regality’. It would let a dragon shrug off a few status conditions per day and would inflict a fear effect in any who wished to fight them. And while these skills can be ignored when you’re about as strong as them, in most cases you wouldn’t be.

“Urge”

Maybe he had let out some sort of exclamation in his excitement because a cute grown came from the sleeping girl. Wiping the sleep from her eyes she blinked them a few times, before looking at him with a smile.

“#@%*&@”

He couldn’t understand what she was saying, obviously speaking a different language. But that wasn’t what drew his attention the most, that would have to be her eyes. Her eyes while normal in shape were bright yellow, not dissimilar to a wolf’s. On anyone older, this might have been startling, if not downright intimidating, but on a little girl, it gave her little more than a unique sense of adorableness.

Even if he couldn’t understand her he could read her body language and tone enough to understand that she was relieved to see he was ok. This was only reaffirmed when she leaned over and petted him, being careful not to touch his bandages. Her hands were soft and gentle, so it felt rather comfortable. However, he didn’t want to completely let his guard down and used identify on her.

 

Sentient

Race: Human

Humans are an adaptable race that has a balance of longevity and reproductive abilities, making them one of the most spread out races in the world. They are also more open to cooperation with other species, though not always equal or friendly.

Strengths: None

Weakness: None

 

*Ding*

 

Daron only had ‘Identify’ and not ‘Identify Individual’ so he only got a race overview rather than information on her as an individual. But he didn’t expect much from her, so he doubted she would be hiding anything. As for the notification? it was...

 

Your skill ‘Identify’ has leveled up to level 2

 

Cool. Identify, while an easy skill to pick up, was hard to level as you wouldn’t get much experience form identifying garbage tier items, or the same thing twice.

 

*Growl*

 

At this moment, Daron realized just how hungry he was. After all, it takes a lot of energy to recover from wounds, and his were near-fatal.

 

“Oh!”

 

Seeming to come to a realization, the girl ran off into another room. She quickly returned with a plate and bowl. On the wooden plate was a few pieces of vegetables, such as lettuce or carrots. While the bowl was filled about halfway with water. Not being able to refuse such pure-hearted kindness, he started eating the food.

 

*Squeal*

 

With her hands pressed to her cheeks and stars in her eyes, she intently stared at him as he ate. It took him a few moments more than he would like to admit to realize that he was, in fact, a bunny or rather to realize that other people would treat him as such. He might be a some-hundred year old person mentally, but other people wouldn’t be able to know that at first glance.

 

This together with the fact that he can’t understand the local language, meant it would be hard for him to re-enter civilization, well other than as a pet. Though the language barrier wasn’t a big deal for him, he had learned tens of them all around the world, and the more he learned the easier it got. Even back on earth linguists would be able to relearn dead languages from texts, so it only made sense that living in a place where the language was in use, he would be able to pick it up.

 

In fact, he could probably communicate through writing, even if he couldn’t talk directly, or he could use a magic item to change his thoughts to sounds. But he needed to focus on the now, what was he going to do? Or rather, how long would he stay here? He’s injured so a house like this would be perfect for recovering in, but he wouldn’t like to overstay his welcome.

 

After eating he was getting pretty tired, he was still recovering after all. So while it was a little hard under the intense eyes of an observer, his aching body quickly lulled him to sleep.

 

________

 

Sophia had to hold herself back from giggling as she watched the bunny in front of her go to sleep. She had been so surprised when her dad had brought home an almost-dead bunny, talking about how she had begged him for a pet.

 

A cringeful smile covered her face as she remembered her father being confused as to why she was screaming at him. He had treated it… him? Her? She softly lifted its backside to get a look at his bottom.

 

Her father had treated him, using the good herbs to treat his wounds. because he was apparently on death’s door (though even she could tell that). She had been so worried that she fell asleep at the table watching him. But it was worth it to see him awake. Actually, it was getting awkward to refer to him as ‘he’, she should give him a name!

 

Sparkles? No that’s a cat’s name… princess? No, he a man… prince? No, it would be weird to name him after a dead person… Oh, I know! Chocolate!

 

Hello Chocolate

 

She quietly whispered, not wanting to wake him. Picking up the plate and bowl she brought for him, Sophia tiptoed back to the kitchen, putting them in the sink. She would need to buy more veggies for him. She had already Identified him, so she knew it was possible to feed him weeds, but he was her pet! He seemed to like lettuce and carrots, so what else? Potatoes? Maybe…

She continued to think of ways to take care of him, retreating to her room to write these down in her journal.

 

Time seemed to fly as she went over things from making a bed, to toys.

 

“Hi sweety”

 

“Eep!”

 

She jumped up in her chair as she heard her dad behind her.

 

“Dad! What did I say about sneaking in the house!”

 

Her dad was a beast of a man, not quite hairy but… he really did look like a beast, or rather a wolf. His distinct yellow eyes and black hair, both that she got from him, along with his tall stature made him look like a wolf in the skin of a man. Of course, that was contrasted by the large smile on his face.

 

“Sorry but I didn’t want to wake your pet”

 

“Chocolate”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I named him Chocolate”

 

“I mean, ok?”

 

Sophia seeing that her dad was losing interest, or rather was just confused, decided to change the subject.

 

“So… do you know how he got hurt?”

 

Her father got a gleam in his eyes that he only got when talking about his ‘glory days’ and began talking as if narrating a fictitious tale in a tavern.

“Well, I was doing my usual scouting in the forest, for any dangerous monsters.”

 

“Of course”

 

She responded semi-sarcastically. Showing how many times he would talk about this on a regular basis.

 

“And just when I was about done, with nothing strange happening, well other than the Knife-tails acting up, they’re dying down now though.”

 

She nodded as if this was all very interesting. She wasn’t allowed in the greater forest anyway so it didn’t affect her much, but if she didn’t act riveted, he would go on a spiel about the time a Knife-tail almost got him in the eye or was that the Flame Hawk?

 

“When I heard a loud *BOOM*! I rushed over, only to find a dead Tunnel Snake King! Now, these guys are rare, not only because they aren’t born often, but also because they never, and I mean never leave their nests! So I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw a dead one, its face all mushed up. Dead, with the only monster around, a half-dead Horned rabbit… well, I guess it’s Chocolate now… but anyway yeah, I remembered you wanted a pet, so I scooped him up and brought him home.”

 

“Thanks for that, I like him”

 

“Not more than me I hope.”

 

Her father said, with a ‘deadly’ serious face.

 

“Well… I mean, he is pretty cute...”

 

Her dad’s eyes widened with shock, grabbing his chest he kneeled over.

 

“My own daughter! Interested in a man!? She’s entered her rebellious phase!”

 

Sophia rolled her eyes.

 

“You’ve been saying that for the past 15 years!”

 

Her Dad now with a pout on his face talked again

 

“That’s only because you’ve never had a non-rebellious day in your life! Where’s the little princess I imagined you would be before you were born!”

 

She snorted.

 

“Well, if you feel that way, why don’t you leave me alone. I need to study magic anyway.”

 

Getting a bit more serious, her father had a slight frown on his face.

 

“I don’t know why you want to be an adventurer.”

 

“You’re the one who’s always telling me how ‘amazing’ it is to be an adventurer.”

 

“Yeah, but you could die! I… don’t want that to happen to you”

 

“Which is why I need to practice.”

 

“Ok, but remember-”

 

“I know, I can’t go until I’m 16 even then, I have to go to school first. Not that I’m in a hurry to go now.”

 

Nodding her dad left the room, closing the door behind him. Sophia closed her journal, opening a book on magic. She was having trouble converting her mana quickly, so she wanted to reread it to make sure she wasn’t missing anything.

18