[Illustrated] Chapter 16; Gevanni’s Servant
256 7 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An unholy magic sigil blazed to life next to Gevanni, unleashing jet-black blobs of unholy energy that orbited the symbol, warping the world with its pulsing magic. The pile of powdery snow froze in the otherworldly winds, growing into towers of deadly spikes of ice.

A deathly aura gathered, accumulated from the surroundings, condensing into a hellish gate tinted with the color of old blood. A dark amethyst horn emerged first, almost piercing through Gevanni, followed by the rest of the figure's body holding a corpse in each hand. 

"That was quite unsophisticated for the likes of you, Master. If you keep at it, you'll become a professional Garbage collector… That will certainly amuse me." The figure talk with a voice that was neither a man or a woman.

The dark energy pulses as it slowly fades, growing, and diminishing in size. The figure swallowed all negativity caused by the portal.

 

 

The figure reeks of death, making Gevanni almost puke, and his body froze momentarily. It noticed Gevanni's uneasiness and disabled its ominous mana aura and kneels to Gevanni.

"My apologies. A force of habit. I thought you were a hungry demon." The figure extinguished the corpses. "Such a waste." It murmured as he bows to Gevanni as if he was its only Master.

Usually, if that being is a human, Gevanni would retaliate with his sharp mouth. However, in this world, it's natural that they exist as well.

"A monster?"

This is the first time that I've been scared shitless in my life. Why doesn't my heart stop pounding?

That monster disregarded and pretended it didn't hear Gevanni's rude and racist statement.

It's a given that impression for any human would make if he were to interact with an otherworldly being. Gevanni cleared all of his worries in an instant. This is nothing compared to hyper-realistic Virtual Reality games he used to play. 

His breathing became proper, his heart calmed down, and he proudly acts as a master befitting for that being. "No, I expected you to come, Grand Grimoire." 

That being is the other form of Grand Grimoire itself. It then raised its head and keenly looked to its Master. Even if the figure wore a mask, Gevanni knew he locked his eyes with it. 

"That name is so outdated. Call me Daerrougen Monarelle Lumoireux—"

"That's enough, Lu." With a commanding voice, Gevanni didn't hesitate to abrupt the monster.

It feels like I met him in the past, but I couldn't remember. Also, why did I nickname him Lu without hesitation and felt comfortable with it? Gevanni thought as he planted the seeds he stole from the Sky Gardens. 

"Vai!"

Gevanni didn't notice that Lu already checked the other holes that he kept digging from earlier; Lu removed its gloves and bent to examine it for a closer look. "You were searching for water. I'm impressed you already managed to make this kind of preparation… Making a functional secret base."

The figure's hands fitted through the hole. With its long slender dark four-fingered hands, it lets the water flow through its palm and absorb it.

“I owe grand pops for this. He taught me how to survive when I was a kid during the time the terrorists attacked the power grid...”

Gevanni made a small section of drip irrigation system—the bark of a tree is the makeshift pipe. It correctly gives the right amount of water that the seeds needed.  

"...I highly doubt a being like you would spout things literally," Gevanni said as he boiled the water inside the flask to filter any bacteria and drink as well. He stopped for a moment, "You already knew that I was exploring my power and predicted my upcoming plans."

"You're the only Master I've met who's been practicing for your survival in the wild on your very first day of world domination... But your endgame plans for Belmare excites me."

I can't even tell if he's an NPC or not. I don't know whether I can use his abilities to the fullest. Is there a way to test him—to see if he's on my side or not? Gevanni wondered. 

The uneasiness that Gevanni feels from Lu fades away completely. 

There's no reason to hesitate in times like this. A perfect chance to know more about this world.  

"Lu, why can't I use magic?"

"Open your eyes. Magic is used for murder. Have you ever truly killed someone in the past?" 

Lu triggered a harsh memory from Gevanni's past. 

Gevanni tried to protect her sister, but instead, he was pushed away, letting the overspeeding truck crushing his sister as he cried in agony.

Lu waited for Gevanni to regain his focus and continued. 

"It's obvious. You have no talent for magic. To be precise, the energy that drives you to use magic is too dangerous. In which that puts you in an advantage. You can reverse the blessing or any curse."

"You sound optimistic, but that made your intentions clear. Clarify it in simple terms."

"Once you use magic, you will definitely die. No, let me rephrase it, your very soul will be corrupted in the process. If that happens, you'll end up a true demon. In which I believe that notion you detest the most." Lu explained. 

Me becoming a demon? This mere thought terrifies me. Gevanni imagined.

"If you ever reverse a blessing or curse, it might strip all of your demonic elements. I know you're aware that you're a half-demon, but I highly don't recommend to approach this way... Since you are likely to die."

How can he casually explain this to me? I don't see an excellent scenario to keep my promise with the old man and Izuna while retaining my humanity! Gevanni thought.

"Either way, you'll be reborn as a demon and devoid of mortal incapabilities. Or unless you chose a different path and be awakened as Seraph. That is if you are prepared to live an eternity." Lu exclaimed as it warped half of its body into the lock of the Grand Grimoire and hovered its other hand towards the pitch-black keyhole. 

"What?"

"There is one option where I can support you very well. I can consume your mana and generate my skills." Lu explained as it slowly warped into its grimoire form. 

"I figured that you're going to say that. Since you're able to use my mana, it means you can peek at my memories, right?"

"Yes."

"It's decided then."

We are stranded together in this place. We were supposed to be alone, but what is with this feeling? A murderous intent? No— It's something more than that. 

 

Do you think I should draw an illustration every three or four chapters (not parts)?
  • Illustrations every three chapters is nice! Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Illustrations every four chapters would be awesome! Votes: 4 40.0%
Total voters: 10
9