Chapter 19; What The Heck Is Really Going On Here!?
125 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The letter Gevanni received from earlier, is a series of instructions on how to navigate the Capital's infamous place of information exchange. 

The tunnel curled away coldly into infinite dark, occasionally teeming down with slime-like creatures from various openings to illuminate the place. The walls were a solid dark grey stone, covered with moss and towered fourteen feet above Gevanni. 

Humanity is not that feeble and to be underestimated. If I were to conduct unjust actions, I'd carry the equivalent exchange of punishment.

Next to Gevanni is a river that separates the two passageways. By stepping three steps forward, a bridge emerged from the river.

With that in mind, I'd be lying if I wanted to play God.

As soon as Gevanni crossed over it, he reached a dead end. Above him is a chandelier hung from the ceiling like the bejeweled corpse of a giant spider. He counted one to eight in Orslenian, the native language spoken in Evanslei Kingdom. 

One of the eight candles of the chandelier flickered. 

"In the name of Avaritia, devouring my needs makes me tame, and when blight takes over, a punishment of death for the wicked awaits," Gevanni chanted. 

What seemed to be a dead-end is an illusion. All of the chandelier's candles flickered. Gevanni pulled the curtains that were keeping the place isolated, revealing the true form of the walls—a pub. 

The bar is modeled after a modern European bar. The counter shows exemplary craft of its creator and lavishly decorated in Grecian design. It consists of several shelves stocked with fine wine and alcohol. The bar itself is rather dimly lit and spacious with not much lighting and uses dark colors such as purple and red. 

Does it mean I have to make sure idiots are to be understood? To straighten that false God…

Gevanni approached the bulletin board. Beside it is two tanks filled with fish and water that are parallel to each other.   

"Oi! That's not free. Pay me first." 

Being on guard against Gevanni's tail, the scammer in blue hood asked for money with a stern look.

"Pay me for the emotional damage you inflicted on me."

"I'm just kidding around. Please don't take this so seriously!"

The scammer begs for mercy as he kneeled into the floor. However, Gevanni kept his soul-crushing stares.

"I got it! My bad! Take it!" 

The scammer handed Gevanni a small pouch. 

"15 silver coins… not bad."

As soon as Gevanni counted the money, the scammer went back into his seat.

"What a smooth guy," The blue hooded scammer's friend commented. 

"You said it" The blue hooded scammer scratched his head and finished his beer. 

Gevanni reviewed the bulletin board again, and only upon an intensive reading was worthy of serious consideration—these were facts he longed for. 

"Summoning conspiracy... Newly appointed Jivorr commander… Ninth exploration of the magic anomalies… All of my theories turned out to be true, or others think the same way as me." 

With that mental murmur, Gevanni went into his usual deep focused state. 

As for the magic anomalies... I'm sure this stone is valuable more than I thought. I should keep this as a secret from anyone for a while. 

Was it me or the chuuni demon did it to them? That explosion was massive enough for everyone to notice. I can't remember it well. I'm surprised this kingdom covered that. 

However, if someone could make that threat, they would be targeting me as well—I see.

Princess Marielle has her sights on me. Well done, Evanslei Kingdom. A clash of wits is the least I expected.

"The stones left from the summons can be used again to summon stronger entities… or a vessel for the legendary-class entities from the ancient times."

Gevanni mentally murmurs again, looking at his current situation, he should celebrate for having the odds in his favor. 

I can use this as a bluff.

The tile floor featured lime-colored tiles that served as a path for the customers to follow. 

Gevanni took a seat and noticed the name tag of the bartender first. Grefolk is an elderly barkeep, and he is dressed in his traditional black uniform. 

This place is surprisingly well behaved, and no one looks suspicious. Aside from scammers. Quite the opposite of what I imagined. A Chaotic and energetic place.

"I'll have a drink."

Grefolk didn't bother to look at Gevanni. "That's 40 gold for you." He took a random wine from his disposal, chopped some unique fruits, and didn't shake it when he served Gevanni. 

"Your regular." Gevanni insisted. 

"Heh! 30 gold. leave it or scram." Grefolk held the drink he served to Gevanni and slammed it to the counter and staining Gevanni's clothing. 

The bartender faced Gevanni. Grefolk has visible wrinkles on his hollow face and deep scars that left him permanently blind.

The marks were the same as the scratches from the trees that Gevanni saw earlier at the Harlac Caves.

"You should know who you are messing with."

The moment the bartender heard this, he immediately chopped potatoes in small and mouthful bits. 

"Not bad, kid! I'll let you off the hook. Ain't this your first time, eh?" The bartender implied it as if you must have a scent of blood of your foe before coming into this place. 

The bartender threw the drink he served to Gevanni into the trash and made it again correctly. 

Grefolk threw various fruits into the air and cut them mid-air with his silver fork, and spun the Bordeaux glassBefore all the fruits fell into the Bordeaux glass, he gathered them in a single swoop with his other Bordeaux glass and shook it rapidlymelting them easily.

"Be glad you're going to see me again."

Displaying Grefolk's true and magnificent skills made Gevanni comment. Grefolk poured the ice crushings lastly and shook the cup. He finally topped it with Frostworm's meat and some whipped cream.

The drink has the aroma of freshly mixed almonds and blueberries. Grefolk lastly served Gevanni, a small dish containing butter, ketchup, and freshly baked potato chips. 

Everything was amazingly done as if you were in a five-star fine dining restaurant.

"I smell it... You'll end up being one of my regulars… Another guaranteed money maker." Grefolk hinted as he looked to the man from a distance. 

A macho man dressed in the pudding with a menacing face appeared out of nowhere and its art style is related to Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures. 

“You got the goods?” The pudding man asked to Grefolk. He then received the same order as Gevanni. 

“Don’t get cocky, Pudding. I can’t beat your record without approaching you.” The mysterious happy go lucky expression from the man cosplayed as Waffles interrupted. 

The Pudding man exchanged eye contact and pulled out a card deck. “Good grief. You need to be more sensitive in front of newcomers, Waffles.” 

Waffles pulled out his card deck and placed it to the farthest left table. 

Grefolk made the biggest drink he can—almost half the size of Gevanni’s body and offered it to Pudding and Waffles.  

What the hell is going on here!? I know for sure they're gonna engage in a drinking battle but… What the hell is really going on here!? 

The pudding man finished his food three seconds faster than Gevanni and he approached Waffles on the farthest left table.

Gevanni didn't hesitate to finish the food in one sitting. As soon as he finished half of his drink, he tried to cover his consecutive burps—in which he failed to cover it. Out of slight embarrassment, Gevanni wanted to cover it again using his clothing, but he was offered a napkin by Grefolk and accepted it.

"Hey, Chief! He's here!" Grefolk shouted in the beautiful centerpiece with circular design—revealing a door to the backside, where the chief lives. 

"I'm coming!" The chief responded and showed his face to Gevanni. 

"Gamcys Wyne Verestone, a former witch hunter who turned into an alchemist, that's quite a spectacle" Gevanni spoke in English. 

It was the same old man who created a scene before the failed ordeal earlier.  

"As you can see, I'm capable of converse with your language, Hero, Gevanni."

"Magic sure is amazing, isn't it?"

"Come here. Let's go to my place." Gamcys glanced at Grefolk, and he nodded in agreement. The bartender escorted Gevanni from his seat to the secret room at the back. 

"Thanks for the courtesy, Grefolk," Gevanni commented. 

Grefolk smiled a bit. "My pleasure."

In reality, I lied to Gamcys. If I were to bring my knowledge from a separate world, what would happen? Do they think it's magic? 

No, there's a possibility that there are others who got isekai'd as me and know how to counter those. I need to be careful. 

I need to develop anti-anti-counter measures, huh?

If there's a time where I return to my old world, things might change drastically. It's next to impossible for me to incorporate our technology into this worldunless I'm a dumb walking encyclopedia of all sorts.

Gevanni's vision changed. Words formed and hovered in front of him. 

Aren't you a walking spoiler, though? Lumoireux hinted. 

8