Chapter 20; Deceit Comes With Greed
180 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There is power and brilliance in the tranquility, a place of skillfulness even in the roar of the waters. On its center lies alone mystical tree—shading everything underneath it from the artificial sunlight

That lone tree stands atop of the grassy hill that emanates with a red glow. The items around looked like what you commonly see in places where they sell pieces of jewelry and accessories.

Gevanni and Gamcys went to the stone table, only to see a mask waiting for them—it is designed with a mischievous smirk running from its cheekbones down to, slightly above, the jawline and arching back up to its opposite cheekbone.

Nothing else is remarkable in it—except the black tear design on its right eye.

"Yes, and here, your order is finished. Why go all over the lengths to have this?" Gamcys asked as he handed the mask to Gevanni.

"Mask of false reality, it's well made, Gamcys."

"I made it too simple to the point I ended up only boosting its effectiveness."

He built it just like my understanding of 'that' game.

Mask of false reality is an item that reveals fake stats about the user when someone peeks on their profile. I wonder if this will work temporarily on my stalker.

Now that I think about it, this world is not a game and there are no stats... Did I waste my time and resources just for this? This is such a major mistake. I need to backtrack my backup plans and slightly adjust it.

No, If Gamcys followed every order in making this and cast magic with similar effects, then this mask should help me conceal well my presence. But what about detection spells? Ugh... This is frustrating. I don't have enough information on how this world works.

With that mental murmur, Gevanni wore the mask.

"Just like what I've ordered you, it's possible that there might be someone spying on me because of the summoning mistake."

The mask adjusted its size according to the face dimensions of Gevanni.

"It's almost next to impossible when a summoning ritual like that is used! Even if it's a mistake, the summoner needed to make a contract with you, and the sigil is proof of that. Or else you won't exist in this world!"

Huh!? What the heck is he talking about? I won't exist in this world If I didn't make a contract with the summoner. Then how does that explain that I managed to live this far without establishing one?

Is it when Izuna handed me her Grimoire? But if that's the case, then she won't exist... No, this makes sense. Lu told me if they die, Izuna dies. It’s her last resort to maintain her life! 

I don't want to think of it this way... There’s no way I can think of these things... I might've belonged in this world.

How can I gauge my powers without stats? I have no idea how strong I am yet.

Gevanni let go of the mask, put it on the table, and analyzed it. The moment he touched its surface, it showed all of the magic sigils Gamcys' used. He pretended to know everything by carefully examining it and didn't utter any single word.

You're making things harder than what you thought. Lumoireux invaded Gevanni's mind.

Do you understand how this item works? I doubt a godly being such as you are unaware of it.

Surely you jest. Why not look directly at the eyes around you, scaredy-cat.

Unless you answer my question, Lu.

It is mundane to think of 'it' as of now, master. Prolonging your existence should be your priority. You're not a 'real' hero.

"Your method of imbuing magic is quite hard even with my skills... I find this impractical. Despite my knowledge, there's no magic process that rivals this," Gamcys commented.

The amount of apparatus used and visible trial and errors was skillful enough to suggest it was well created. Gamcys deeply sighed as he leaned on his chair.

Impossible! The most renowned process in Herscheim is not present here!?

Gevanni quickly saw the truth of magic limits and to think that this kingdom can summon heroes from another world—is even a surprise to him—a contradiction.

"In our world, we call this process 'runecraft'. A process where you enchant an item without sacrificing a large portion of materials. For example, to meet the same power as legendary-class tier five weapons, you only need to enchant your common item like tier seven gear nine times."

Gamcys were interested in any magic process that would be effective. "I heard of an enchanted process similar to what you described but they're exclusive to the elves..." He figured anything useful and revolutionary was worth trying.

"An enchantment without the cost of any materials... That is the peak of resourcefulness!" Gamcys claimed. Thus, continuing further the discussion instead of ending it quickly as usual. "Would you please clarify how tiers work in your world?"

"Tier ten is the lowest while the Tier one is the highest when it comes to power."

"I thank you for this wonderful information! I didn't think your world runs the opposite!"

That means, in this world, they use Tier magic and rank it from Tier ten being the most powerful while Tier one is the least effective, huh?

Wait... I just answered his questions and felt amazed. Is he such a simpleton... No, I take it back. Actually, I'm grateful it's enough for him. Otherwise, I risk myself of the enemy learning more about me.

 Gevanni is lost in his thoughts and didn't know Gamcys slowly reached his hand on the grimoire on the table.

"It's rude if you peeked at a servant's sigil," Gevanni insisted, and it made Gamcys let go of the book.

"I can't help but to see what contract was established."

Gamcys stood and approached one of his wooden shelves.

"Also, why did you ask me to make these potions when you can buy them outside this kingdom?"

I can't tell him it's an inspiration from a certain anime.

Gamcys used his magic to safely put down a heavy case of potions on the table. Gevanni took one of those and looked at it closely.

"Ahem! Panacea is a potion I made up. It essentially gives more effects or positive buffs than the ones in this world once enchanted."

"I find that plausible. There have been attempts in improving potions in the health industry, but up to this day, they show no signs of progress." Gamcys commented before he took a pause.

"This… This is beyond magnificent!" Gamcys stood up and laughed hysterically while pointing his hand on the potions. It took for a while for him to calm down. "But what is the true purpose of these Panacea potions?"

"If I want to go on in long adventures, it would be essential to stockpile, and mass-produce these without hurting my pocket."

I lied to him again. This is just a distraction and a good stall for me to foolproof my plans.

Gamcys managed to actualize this experiment. That means the other heroes... No, Cursed Grimoire Users can use their knowledge from the modern world and craft items they know from that world and other literary references. However, I have no way to know if those items are functioning or not just like what I did with the Panacea Potions.

The potions are just placebo effects. Gamcys didn't know it but it should've erased the scar I got from Lu earlier but it didn't. So, if shady people bought it and believed Gamcys, they'll sell it. And when those buyers find out it doesn't work in emergency situations, they'll die and it won't trace back to me. 

Gamcys will be at fault here. If he decides to blackmail me, then our secret alliance will be revealed and question the trust of the people of Evanslei in their kingdom. In which helps me further justify of erasing 'garbage'.

If that didn't work, I can just bluff my way out of it. But if someone finds out my bluff about the name-killing, that means they already know what I actually planning for when I made the deal with the King. When that happens, I need to create a non-existent secret organization without actually building one and use it as 'baits''.

All of these dealings made with Gamcys is essentially a gamble. A necessary risk. It's a trap to lure my stalker to know me through Gamcys.

One of the rules of successful PK created by the number one player in Herscheim herself: End a fight in seconds. If not, make a false retreat and snipe from a distance—to give time to heal and or cast your ultimate. This is the fighting strategy Gevanni adapted and alwayss uses and without a doubt will use in this world as well.

Gevanni took only half a dozen of the potions and stored it inside his bag.

Gamcys felt disheartened when Gevanni didn’t answer the way he imaged and instead gave him the most obvious answer of stockpiling. 

"Even if it's in our creed, I can't allow you to do that. We'll be easily caught, and I don't want to be tortured by the royals—especially by Princess Artesia. Don't you think of using the Hunter's Guild's services?"

Gamcys suggested that they could purse another way without alerting the royal authorities while implying severe doubts regarding the production of the Gevanni's various plans.

"What do you mean?" Gevanni asked as he flipped the potion, opened the cap with his thumb, and drank it.

Nothing happened. It tasted like ordinary water.

"If profit is our least of concern, distributing these items to various influential guilds is not suspicious. On top of that, if other lesser guilds knew Panacea's existence—surely they'll send people to buy this."

"Good thinking, Gamcys—that's what I thought of as well. And then if we want this to be over the top—marketing these potions at dangerous dungeons as a nomad."

"I know this one too! If you do this and some high-ranking hunter died, the nomad can loot his items, and no one would suspect a thing!"

It sounds ethically wrong but that's the best option for not letting the leftovers wasted.

The way he implied it as if there's no revival magic exists. Not only that, it sounds like your party members are pussies and start to run away if someone died. As expected of lower-tier mercenaries, adventurers, whatever you call them.

There's a possibility that he might be deceiving me, or that information is limited—and actually, a lot of people have access to revival magic, but they keep it hidden.

"Is revival magic accessible to everyone?"

"No humans can ever do it. Not even the greatest sages. Except for one person—Princess Artesia."

"What's with Princess Artesia?"

"The name mostly everyone frowned upon—aside from you, Apocope—she is a demon in human clothing—nicknamed as "Bloodless Torturess'—the world's first poisoner who helped Evanslei rule over a growing threat of an ancient empire—Havyrlonia."

"This Princess acquired some sort of forbidden magic in the process, didn't she?"

"As expected of you! It is what you think."

It seems I finally met my match—a healer torturess.

It was neither distrust, suspicion, curiosity, or disinterest that made Gevanni stand up and leave abruptly. He realized that he had to confirm if his grimoire is genuinely in his ownership and know more about its powers as soon as he can.

This is a world where wars are not taken lightly. Just like Herscheim, this world prepares its war with utmost precaution. I need more connections.

Gevanni knew his ambitions from the start only led him into digging his own grave. By believing that he was transported in a game, he overlooked his own foolishness as a seventeen-year-old genius who thinks he can outclass everyone easily.

7