Chapter 28; Contemplation
61 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sitting at the ledge, Izuna swung her legs back and forth. She hid her distress as she looked down, and her bangs covered her face. "I couldn't find it. Sorry, Gevanni," Izuna said with a soft voice.

Seeing a young maiden in this state can make men feel like they are obliged to protect her. However, this was not the case with Gevanni. He expected that this would happen and wanted to confront her. After all, he planned everything to be against him just to see the capabilities of the Grimoire early.

Gevanni sat beside Izuna and tapped her shoulder, and gazed into the lake. The lily pads slowly float towards the east. The waters were clear that you could even see the ground beneath it and the tadpoles were swimming around.

" What's wrong? Why are you so quiet so suddenly?" Gevanni asked.  

"It's nothing," Izuna hesitated to say as she stood up.

"I don't like forcing people, but if you don't say it right now, it'll come back to bite us," Gevanni commented and skipped a stone. He then realized what Izuna was about to say earlier. It's not about the grimoire, but rather it's about herself. There must be a reason why Izuna doesn't want to spill all of the details about the grimoire yet. That reason could be connected to herself or someone that might affect her.

"No matter how hellish your past is, the reason why you strive to live each day is that you have someone to cherish and to protect…" Gevanni tried to cheer Izuna but she was quivering. 

He embraced her from the back.

"Don't look at me," Izuna insisted as she placed her hands on top of another on Gevanni's arms. "Just stay like this..."

Fully understanding what's going on or at least on the surface level, "What happens if someone other than me tried to use the grimoire?" Gevanni asked. He intentionally changed the subject to make Izuna don't feel pressured.

"They can't use it. It will end up as a priceless artifact", Izuna replied as she clutches Gevanni's sleeves. It was the answer she could give as of now.

Gevanni went silent and waited for Izuna for another answer. 

"It's bad for me to act on my plans without the facts," Gevanni thought, but to no avail, Izuna doesn't have any answers. 

"So, it will end up in the marketplace, huh?... Don't worry; I managed to find it," Gevanni assured. "My feats are not just labels, and you can rest easy… Please depend on me sometimes," Gevanni continued as he rested his chin on top of Izuna's head.

A gentle breeze blew, and it waved rows of white dandelions. The flowers fell as if they were snow. Any outsider could describe that moment as a young father trying his best to encourage his daughter.

"Izuna… Are you fine now?" 

"Mmnh!" Izuna nodded.

Gevanni went in front of Izuna and kneeled and gave her the grimoire.

"You… I don't know how you managed to find this. It's impossible to track this without gaining access to telepathy with the grimoire," Izuna worryingly said. 

Every page Izuna flipped, Gevanni's nervousness grew. He couldn't think of any excuses on why he would vandalize the grimoire and inscribe fake spells. 

"For some reason, I think you'll end up like batman in another world," Izuna jokingly teased. 

As soon as Izuna handed back the grimoire, Gevanni immediately went to certain pages with the fake spells. 

But it was all blank.

Whatever Gevanni's plan is, he didn't foresee this outcome and speechless for a while. His imagination of methods after plans broke due to the grimoire's limited capabilities. It's not an omnipotent artifact. 

"It seems like you wanted to say something, Gevanni," Izuna assumed.

Gevanni is not the type that would fall easily just because one of his plans failed. After all, it's just a plan of expected outcome based on past experiences and predictions.

"Let's visit the hospital around here," Gevanni insisted.  

Gevanni stood and stopped Izuna from walking further.

"I know you're there and have been watching us the whole time, Horim," Gevanni said as he looked at the reflection of the water. "I thought vampires could fly."

Horim washed her face at the ledge of the lake. She let a small smile because it's unusual for someone to detect her presence so fast. 

"Spare me your jokes… Congratulations, you passed one of the ordeals," Horim said as she walked on water. She crossed from the other side to Gevanni's side to flex.

Gevanni chuckled. "Do I even have to say you're welcome?"

"Tomorrow, you'll receive an analysis report from today's incident and different ID cards to access certain areas in the kingdom," Horim explained. 

"By certain areas, you meant places reserved for the higher class," Gevanni corrected.

"As ever, your intelligence makes everyone at awe... and terrified." Horim tapped Gevanni's chest. "One thing… Did you really stage that act so people could hate you and overturn it so they could trust you even more?"

Horim's dead fish eyes changed into crimson red and emanated a dangerous vibe that even Gevanni had to step back a bit.

"What's with that expression? It's as if you're talking to me that I'm God," Gevanni replied. 

Horim sighed and let Gevanni go. "Of course you were a God in your previous life… A reincarnation of a reincarnation," she murmured as she walked past him. 

Gevanni clenches his fist. "Don't lump me with your Gods nor any God. It disgust me."

4