Chapter 31; Desperate Past
63 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Jeez, he’s taking way too long. It would be better if Lu is at my side…” Izuna complained as she sat crossed-leg and twirls her hair. 

Whenever people pass by the back alley's hospital, Izuna counted whoever has the highest magical properties and fully armored— there were none. All of them are just decently geared such as the standard Jivorr’s cloak, Wyvern’s scale armor, and Cleats of Yltorzas. Even though almost everyone has the same gear, they distinct themselves by adding random pieces of metal and leather unto their clothes.

“At this point… Should I tell Gevanni the existence of the representatives and the False God?” Izuna wondered in disappointment. Until Gevanni could freely control his power, there is no point telling something he won’t understand. “It’s too soon… If only he didn’t meet False God, he’d regain the lost memories he has in this world.”

Sparsely, there are travelers with outstanding gear—as expected of their reputation level—such as Ring of Eminence, which is mainly used to ward off lower to middle tier monsters like Yltorzas and Wyverns; and The Scroll of Essenther’s Spirit, which is used to safely traverse through hidden locations inside the magic anomalies.

“I messed up. This is my responsibility. I won’t let down Mother,” Izuna murmured as she heard a familiar voice.

The door creaks as Gevanni opens it. “I kept you waiting, don’t I?”

An armored carriage pulled by two Guard Drakes stopped in front of Gevanni and Izuna. This unusual carriage has a wide body frame, less bulky, and lower ground clearance than most carriages. This type of transportation is only meant for nobles to travel through flat pathways.

The door bears the crest of Evanslei and it opens upwards. “Perfect timing. I would like you to come with me, friend”, Belmare invited as he stepped down.

It seems my order is ready. Just how much influence this guy has? Gevanni quickly thought.

“I see… You’re in awe seeing this carriage up close. It’s perfectly understandable. This was made possible through my collaboration with Leonardo and The Gear Master,” Belmare explained. “Ahh~ That brings back memories.”

No one paid attention to Izuna—or perhaps she’s too small for them to notice, so she quietly sneaked inside and took a bite of strawberries. 

“Speaking of which, have you visited the guild yet?” Belmare asked.

“It hasn’t crossed my mind for now… Although I heard that place many times, it always reminds me of cocky bastards.”

Belmare chuckled, “That really hits home.”

The townsfolk saw Gevanni casually talking to Belmare as if they were long-time friends. Because of this, they didn’t distance themselves so much out of fear. However, seeing someone contained by Epsilon’s Prison can’t be helped but to raise one’s guard.

“What are you doing, Gevanni? It’s surprisingly comfy here. Not just that, he also has great food!” 

“Oh? This is an interesting sight. A playful type of hero candidate. It’s been a while since we had one,” Belmare commented. 

“I’ll take your offer then,” Gevanni replied. Belmare hovered his hand and guided Gevanni inside the carriage.

“Considering the war resumes soon, I can’t imagine the stress our heroes bear now,” Belmare murmured.

“I know it’s been a rough few days for both of you but please don’t mind the other nobles too much. They are arseholes," Belmare voiced his concerns.

“As expected of old geezers who stayed in power for so long, they couldn’t even handle the simplest progress without making a fuss," Gevanni commented.

“A bunch of distractions so that shady people can do shady business," Izuna casually said.

Wha- I didn’t realize that… Then everything makes sense… Gevanni thought.

“Quite thought-provoking. For the summoned who withstood the first trial without any bloodshed, you truly think through things ahead," Belmare was fascinated by Izuna.

That whole sentence repeated again and again in Gevanni’s mind. It seems that this act of desperation was carried numerous times throughout history. That also means they have contingencies in place in the event of the summoned being gone rogue or go against the Kingdom’s views.

"I have trust in both of you. As a believer in humanity, I always wonder if there is a world beyond our world. A world without any divine beings and only humans are living. The fact that I’m talking to both of you is truly priceless."

“Well, where are we heading?", Gevanni asked.

“That can wait. First, we need to take a detour,” Belmare said as he handed Gevanni a drink. It is a clear, unsweetened schnapps—made of fermented grain and flavored with meridian fennel—and considered to be Evanslei’s staple.

Gevanni took a pause and smelled it—the rich oak scent of the barrel it was aged in lingers. There are no hints of poison being added. He then took a sip.

“As thanks for accepting my invitation, I can answer the questions that trouble you the most,” Belmare sincerely offered.

The drink is a bit intoxicating and soothing at the same time to be consumed. Gevanni asked for another one.

“What’s the most adored race by young men?” Izuna asked. At the same time, “The existence of the cursed grimoires and deep hatred for demons,” Gevanni also asked.

Gevanni glances at Izuna in confusion.

“The girl goes first. I’m not sure if you noticed, but after decades of breeding interracial families, most races are demi-humans,” Belmare considered.

“That would explain how everyone looks so different despite living in one kingdom,” Gevanni assumed.

“As far as I know, Feline-girls always come at the top. Perhaps, young men are attracted to docile petites who can become rough and feisty.  Feline-girls also has two popular competitors which are Cow-girls and Insect-girls,” Belmare explained with confidence.

“It’s now my turn,” Gevanni insisted.

“A long time ago, there was one nation called Ptervnakia that exists with pure harmony. It was the era where humans are aware that they need something to ease their daily lives. And then magic was invented.”

The carriage passed the Evanslei’s outer walls.

 

“In a twisted fate, the survivors of the used to be oppressed nation came back for revenge. They are known as Demons and used tools of war no one can imagine. The first great war started. With one fell swoop, Ptervnakia is near to its extinction.”

Izuna looked through the window and various animals were doing their own thing. Some are being hunted and some hunters become prey.

“With their utmost desperation, they dabbled with forbidden magic and created a sentient grimoire in hopes to turn the tides. However, it backfired. It split into seven grimoires and escaped. The last remaining humans were spared. Since then, new nations have emerged. The reason why there are humans, elves, and other races exists today,” Belmare explained.

That would mean at least one out of seven original races must have a cursed grimoire at their disposal. Gevanni thought. 

“That doesn’t explain their hatred for demons,” Gevanni insisted.

“It’s quite ironic. Someone has to play the devil’s advocate to stop the vicious cycle,” Belmare mentioned.

Gevanni looked carefully at the map embedded on the table. “Can you pinpoint the Jivorr Commander’s first appearance?”

“Jivorrs are known to travel in groups and build outposts everywhere. They can only survive in cold temperatures… So they’re stuck around the peaks of Essenther Mountains.”

“Is there a reason why they couldn’t stay in one place?”

“It depends on their situation. If their population is too small, they’ll raid the foot of the mountains and breed with its natives. If their resources are scarce, they’re likely to scavenge The Essenter Mountains.”

Gevanni moved his finger across the map and found a group of archipelagos called ‘Lithcoa of the East and Peltas of the West’ that connects to Hellsgate Isles in the southwest. “Aren’t these archipelagoes a bit problematic for the Jivorrs?”

They reside in that place. I suggest you not affiliate with the elves. It sounds racist but it’ll help you a lot,” Belmare explained worryingly.

“Why is that?” Gevanni asked.

“Elves are known for their thirst for knowledge and power to the point that they’re willing to kill their own kin and offer their magical remains to pay… Unless you’re into sadists.”

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that last sentence.”

2