Chapter 35; The Crooked Time
46 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Belmare, do you have a practice range?” Gevanni asked as he walked beside Belmare as they passed the Barbican—a fortified gateway.

The lever was pulled from the other side of the bridge and created a continuous clanking sound of chains. 

“We’ll go there once I show you my work.”

The Drawbridge fell with a loud thud. The Dwarves opened the gates for Belmare and his guests.

"Eivoh, Eivoh, Eivoh!" the Dwarves yelled as they hurried to the damaged parts of the stone bridge. They knew the moment they heard the loud explosions and intense splashing waters; someone fought and prepared the supplies necessary for repairs.

Izuna barely caught up with Belmare and Gevanni. She marched towards the Dwarves standing idly by the drawbridge’s lever. Magical threads appeared out of nowhere and filled the holes of her clothing until it’s good as new—A smart decision suitable for not looking embarrassing after appearing badass made by the best of the tailors of Royal Evanslei Palace.

The Dwarves wore layered, rugged clothing. Despite their beards covering most of their bodies stylized in such a bizarre manner, their bluish-skin and muscular build are visible. Each one of them wears different gloves where it determines their role in the stronghold. For example, the Guard Dwarves wore oversized iron gauntlets meant for punching or as a shield. Once banded together and standing on each other’s shoulders, they could make a robust mobile wall.

Upon closer inspection, “What!? I didn’t think smurfs were here,” Izuna yelled.

Gevanni didn’t have to look back to see Izuna’s expression. “Izuna, please… No more referencing.” He put his hand against his face in dismay.

“Ah! I see I see. You’re fearful of *beep*” Izuna teasingly said as she mimicked the beep sound.

“What the heck are you even saying.”

Belmare and his guests entered this specific building first. On the outside, it shaped like a giant anchor with a shield behind it. At its sides, there was some sort of rooms designed as scales over the another with large wheels protruding from its walls and chimneys shaped like an elephant’s trunk. 

The entrance is designed after a knight’s helmet. For a strange building, the architecture inside is similar to a dome. 

Belmare pulled the lever for the lift. It didn’t work. He decided it’s best to descend through the stairs encircling the whole building and initiate the tour.

The walls are decorated with the trophies of the skeletal remains of monsters hunted in different countries.

“The trophies on your right are from Lesser Somas. Everything they have except for their bones is useful for crafting weapons, accessories, and armors,” Belmare explained.

“I recognize the canine and a wyvern… Assuming the Somas is another term for monsters, where do they originate from?” Gevanni asked.

“Let me answer that for you, closet tsundere!” Izuna whipped out her glasses.

“Yes, yes. Whatever... Go ahead.”

“This is common sense to any world that runs on magic! Soma is the excess magic being accumulated in the world and is responsible for giving birth to creatures,” Izuna explained as she adjusted her glasses with gleaming eyes.

“Izuna is correct. There are Five Somas that help the balance of power in this world. Ranking from lowest to highest... Lesser Soma, Eldritch Soma, Leviathan Soma, Colossal Soma, and Nightmare Soma,” Belmare added.

“Nightmare Somas sounds dangerous,” Gevanni commented.

“They truly are. They are capable of destroying life and cripple every race and their future generations. I believe these World Extinction Events are necessary for the world to recover and evolve,” 

“Based on what I saw earlier, does the Corpse Collector count as Lesser Soma?”

“You are both half-wrong and half-right. Indeed, they don’t deal any damage nor show any signs of hostility due to domestication... Their wild counterparts can be considered Leviathan Somas, who is much bigger and one step closer to being Colossal Somas to answer your question," Belmare answered.

“Connecting your comment earlier about the World Extinction Events and answering my question, I assume existing Somas can evolve.”

Belmare and his guests walked past the skeletal remains of Male and Female Frostworms. It boasts the largest size amongst the Lesser Somas, reaching 19 feet. The difference between the two, the male has longer spines near to its heads while the females have shorter spines located on their tails.

“You talk as if you once belonged in this world unless you’re that intelligent," Belmare proposed.

“No, I just like to observe and keep essential facts.”

“It’s nice to see that you act humble. But you should appreciate any gratitude offered by a noble such as me, Belmare scoffed.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

Of course, that was a lie. Why would I lick the boots of someone I don’t even know just because they belong to a higher status. Well, for the sake of friendliness, deepening my bond with Belmare would open doors for me and have access to his connections.

Izuna stopped as she covered her mouth with the side of her hand. “What!? This is not the stingy Gevanni I know. Who are you!?”

This commotion caused by Izuna alerted Belmare. He tried to glance at his side. Gevanni is looking down. It’s the look of someone caught red-handed.

Gevanni went after Izuna with heavy steps, smoke coming out from his mouth, stretched his fingers, and turned it into a closed fist, “Izuna…”, accompanied by red glaring eyes. He head chops her.

“Awawawawawa~... That hurts!” A large bump grew on Izuna’s head. She covered it with both of her hands to soothe the pain.

“Don’t mind her exaggerated remarks, Belmare,” Gevanni assured.

Belmare looked confused as he smiled. His mind was filled with questions. What is the exact relationship of Gevanni to Izuna? Is Izuna pretending to be hurt from that head chop? Debatably, Gevanni might be stronger than Izuna.

“I don’t want to sound rude but I cannot comprehend why would the Royals gamble the outcome of war from otherworldly beings who are just kids who know nothing in our world instead of reinforcing our strongest,” Belmare reasoned.

“Don’t you think it’s rational it’s just propaganda and the Royals have been manipulating events in the shadows?” Gevanni debated.

“Considering Her Majesty’s nature, that’s a wonderful insight. There’s no way she can solve every world-ending event by looking at the surface… It’s been ages since we summon a dependable person like you. Perhaps, I would recommend you to do some things for Old Ma… Sorry, The Guild Master.” 

“I look forward to that.”

I need to keep myself laughing. Things are exactly going according to my plans. This excites me!

Don’t get ahead of yourself, Master. It is conceivable you barely started your Absolute Rule… Hmm, I take it back. Perhaps, as a mere mortal, that level of comprehension and deception can be considered grandiose and worthy to celebrate. 

Lumoireux invaded Gevanni’s mind and talked to him telepathically.

“You awfully seem to know a lot. I’m starting to think the ways of our world match yours. Perhaps you retain your knowledge from the previous world?” Belmare pressured.

Gevanni went silent upon hearing Belmare. 

“Shit. Did he overhear the conversation I had with Izuna earlier? I revealed too much. Since when did I become talkative? If they already have a contingency in place, what I’m doing right now is proof that they should be ready soon.” Gevanni thought.

“I terribly apologize. I didn't mean to pry to your personal accords. If you ever retain your memories, that’s quite a tremendous mental stress you’re dealing with. I heard that it’s rare for newly summoned heroes to remember their names and seem to completely forget their past,” Belmare continued to descend the stairs.

“Selective amnesia due to breaking the barrier that separates this world from their old world, huh?” Gevanni asked as he followed Belmare’s back.

That was a close one. If he was a cursed grimoire user like me, then I just dug my own grave. I need to be more careful next time. I can’t trust anyone blindly.

“I’ve been longing to exchange views with you... What do you think of magic and weapons of war?”

“A double-edged sword. One that seeks vengeance for the protection of the deceased and remaining loved ones. Why did you ask?”

“I’m glad… Don’t worry about it too much. It was on a whim. As much I’d like to converse more with you, we need to respect each other’s valuable time,” Belmare said as he stepped down the last flight of stairs.

"That is... If you ever had one," Belmare murmured.

3