Chapter 38; Snow By The Lake Of Blood
84 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the same time, when Belmare was about to present Gevanni’s order, The King approved of Princess Artesia’s request for her ‘toys’ and finished the necessary preparations. 

 

This place is connected to the courtyard of the Great Lethuel at the west wing, dubbed as “Princess Artesia’s personal garden.”

 

A wild bed of grass brightly shines in majestic golden cascaded leaves that reach up to 18 inches and mimics a waterfall.  It is framed around the humongous arched pillars that lead everyone into a straight line, as it emphasizes the withered primordial tree at its center.

 

A few gigantic trees but not as big as the primordial tree stand near the pillars' left side. Their bark and branches offer home and shelter to an array of domesticated lesser somas. Simultaneously, the right side consists of an elegantly designed patio crafted by the best artisans of Evanslei. It's meant for few people, but it could house five families with three children due to its sheer size.

 

From there, this is the perfect view to watch both the Mana Essenther Mountains and the Oceans. By achieving the utmost comfort, the chilly winds of the mountains and the oceans, and the heat that was being transferred by the south-eastern winds from the Hemorkia Federation, it gives the perfect temperature to take a nap for an Evanslenian without the need for a blanket to cover themselves.

 

The kid went to the pen,

Hey Glenn into the garden,

When a Deer sat in the haystack and fawned,

 

The gardeners stopped trimming the lawn grass, dropping their tools as they gazed, and were horrified at Princess Artesia, who is singing the nursery rhyme she made. It’s a reminder of the gruesome nature of Evanslei’s past.

 

The kid thought to himself;

I wonder what a garden is?

 

Princess Artesia sang while hopping playfully over the stone walkway.  She took a pause and placed her finger at the side of her mouth, and tilted her head as if she's thinking something.

 

Around the primordial tree, it is protected by neatly trimmed connected hedges. The flowers and plants are unkempt but look all the better for it; they're a delight for butterflies.

 

And the kid followed the Deer,

To the garden, to the garden it is!

Then the garden welcomed him.

 

Here lies a giant primordial tree. Its bark has white spots, dry and withered branches where cherry petals try to survive, and vines creep and crawl their way upwards. Princess Artesia opened the carved wooden door, hidden by the tree’s roots. 

 

First time he touched the flowers,

Jumped and floating; 

Then he fell down giggling.

 

Even if Princess Artesia hasn’t reached the underground, the prisoners' muffled voices can be heard. With her every step, their voices keep on getting louder. Despite that, each one of them is sitting comfortably in their reclined seats.

 

No one would think this is a questionable place for acts that shouldn't be seen outside. Everything is well kept and cleaned. The ground is made of grass, and each cell has flowers growing. It’s an underground greenhouse repurposed as a prison.

 

Then the Deer flayed the kid with its antlers, 

Other deers joined and butchered him up, 

He weighed nearly thirty to forty pounds.

 

Princess Artesia walked and swirled with her open arms. She didn’t look to the faces of prisoners begging for help. Some couldn’t even produce sentences due to their tongues being infested with fungus. All of them were strapped on a chair. 

 

From his skin, the deers hopped around, 

Merrily hopped around, round and round,

The best they ever taste.

 

The prisoners detained here are the ones who committed treason, crimes against Evanslei, and those who are working with demons. No one is exempted even if you belong to a higher status. Just like the Lesser Noble salivating and not moving in his cell; Next to him is the previously summoned Hero deemed worthless with no desire to live; on Princess Artesia’s right side.

 

The meat is salted in pots and casks,

And the deers drooled as the fire lit up,

And smoke came out and feasted for

Christmas.

 

“My Dear Princess, Knightess Jeanne Farnosea D’zereshaf is awaiting your presence.”

 

The royal guard saluted before Princess Artesia could gaze into his eyes. She lifted her finger and drew a vertical line upwards in the air. The royal guard moved away from his post and commanded his men to follow him. They opened every lock of the prison cells.

 

During this, Princess Artesia continued her nursery rhyme through humming. She carefully lifted her dress while descending the stairs to the basement.

 

Every prisoner wriggled before they were stripped naked and kicked to the pit. It slowly warps into a deep and narrow hole from a wide hole where only five people lined horizontally can fit. The pit is designed after a funnel.

 

Some prisoners displayed their resistance through barking or crawling towards the exit where Princess Artesia came from. Only the ones that showed resistance were grabbed by their hair and thrown violently. 

 

Those who forgot their reason to live were taken one by one. They were given mercy by not being stripped naked. They were chained and dragged together towards the pit as well.

 

The lively ones trampled one another and tried their best to escape that pit as if they were crabs. They could’ve easily escaped if they work together, only for their efforts gone to waste when the lifeless were thrown at their faces.

 

Each of them fought for the lifeless clothing so that their bodies could resist the coldness of the room. As soon as they realize this is getting nowhere, they sit at the walls and chew their fingernails. 

 

There were exactly fifty captives thrown at the pit. No one expects them to be of use anymore but not at the hands of Princess Artesia. 

 

The flowers growing inside the pit soothes the prisoners and prevents them from being suicidal. Some formed in circles and happily sang, Round and round~ , repetitively as if they were a broken television that you cannot switch this certain channel or turn off.

 

[ Part I ]

 

“Let’s make this quick, Jeanne.” 

 

Princess Artesia casually said without knocking and barged inside the room. 

 

With that humming from earlier, Jeanne didn’t expect Princess Artesia to come early. The pain of seeing her comrades covered in sheets affected her judgment. She didn’t realize Princess Artesia already went past her.  

 

At the farthest left of Artesia lies the pit where prisoners were thrown.

 

Princess Artesia walked towards the pit and what’s blocking her way is the cell bars in front of her. The prisoners were beyond broken to display their hatred for her. 

 

All of the prisoners were happy and laughing constantly. They were comfortable having such a big room for them to wander and use their knees to walk.

 

“Did you list everything?”

 

“I made sure their place of death, cause of death, and time of death accurately after investigating the area with Princess Marielle.” 

 

Jeanne quickly stood up from the wooden chair she’s sitting on. She glanced where the voice originated. 

 

“It’ll be troublesome if we revive a nasty soma in the process if the information is incorrect. Knowing you, you won’t allow your men to look like monsters.” 

 

Princess Artesia nonchalantly opened one of the sheets. The disfigured body is filled with burns, deep scratches that tore through their armor, and fractured bones sticking out from their flesh, and a face beyond unrecognizable; Apart from the plates bestowed upon them, which is the Palladium-rank that also listed their names and current age. 

 

“I kept this a secret to everyone, and only my Mother knows about this. There is another condition to complete before my revival magic can be used. The sacrificial souls should be beyond ‘broken’... I get to decide which life is more valuable than the other… Then I’m no different from those vermins!”

 

Princess Artesia debated in her mind when she carefully examined the bodies. Jeanne noticed her lately due to her small height. 

 

“You don’t have to worry, Princess.” 

 

Jeanne stood up and assured the Princess after double-checking the list. She still couldn’t hold her composure and tried to punch her face to keep herself not remembering the bodies of her men.

 

“This is the last time I can revive them.”

 

Princess Artesia warned after pulling the last sheet. There were a total of fifty Palladium-rank men. For them to die in this state and so easily, despite being a step closer to being a Great Hero, served a grim reminder—The Magic Anomalies are not meant to be explored. However, if left in the open and didn’t break the cores residing inside them, it slowly corrupts everything around it and is devoid of life.

 

“Do you have the heart to let them live again in search of their honor—and give a false sense of hope and salvation or leave them as their families expect no answers from us?” 

 

Princess Artesia asked a heart-breaking question that even for someone who served their entire life being a knight for Evanslei remained silent.

 

Jeanne keeps on remembering that these same men have already lived twice. If she decided to accept Princess Artesia’s offer, what would her men think of her? Conflicted with her thoughts, Jeanne took a while before she took the courage to reply.

 

“I’ll... No, we should leave them alone.”

 

“You answered for too long, Jeanne.” 

 

Without respect for Jeanne’s courage, Princess Artesia siphoned the life of the last prisoner and extracted something inside of them into a lump of shadow. After making a hand gesture, the shadow that was protecting one’s soul is broken. It revealed the mana core, the very essence of life. She then hovered the mana core and forcibly put it inside the last corpse to be revived.

 

As soon as the body revived, he rose and screamed in terror before losing consciousness.

 

All the Palladium-rank men were revived as if nothing happened. They also have their broken weapons and armor repaired as well. However, the scars they received from the battle remain.

 

“I already revived them. I’ll ask Bancroft to rewrite their memories to be more effective as soldiers.”

 

Princess Artesia approached the most logical way. The Kingdom of Evanslei has been quiet since the expeditions of magic anomalies commenced. The protectors of these said anomalies keep getting stronger over time, and the structure makes it even more difficult to navigate further.

 

The families of those who accepted the expedition thought it’s possible that their loved ones already died for the sake of protecting Evanslei. If the soldiers went back to their families without rewriting their memories, it’d just worsen the efforts to erase Evanslei’s gruesome past. That’s why Princess Artesia makes sure that all hate against Evanslei is directed towards her. Perhaps, her creation of nursery rhymes is for the sake of future children as well.

 

“You sick princess!” 

 

Unaware of the second condition of revival magic, Jeanne bolted towards Princess Artesia. She grasped her by the neck tightly and lifted her. Jeanne didn’t want Princess Artesia to alter the memories of her comrades as if they were puppets. She knew one of the Evanslei secrets kept from the public—But not entirely and the process that makes it undetected—The royal guards that protect the Kingdom is already dead and repurposed as undead puppets. That's why their helmets must cover their faces the whole time. To keep their families from knowing that they are still alive. 

 

“No wonder you always spend time torturing!” 

 

Even if it hurt and wanted to cough from the pain, Princess Artesia endured and delivered a strong slap.

 

“Do not act so pathetic, Jeanne! I didn’t choose to be this way. Is your determination to exact vengeance against those cursed red animals too low that your simple muscle-brain could even understand!? You raised them not to protect this Kingdom but protect each other because they are a family! They put their cowardliness away and proved their brotherhood against that Colossal Soma! Have you no respect?” 

 

Jeanne kept her grip even tighter and gritted her teeth. She stopped Princess Artesia’s attempt to slap her again by holding her wrist.

 

“Enough… I see your point now, Princess...” 

 

Jeanne lifted Princess Artesia down and removed her hand away from her. Before she knew it, Princess Artesia slapped her face because she left marks on Princess Artesia’s precious neck. Jeanne knew she deserved that slap and calmed down.

 

Normally, Princess Artesia would command her guards to take over and chain those who harmed her, but it’s partly her fault for Jeanne to act rashly. She let Jeanne continue. It's not because Princess Artesia has a conscience but rather Jeanne shares a mutual friendship with her Big Sister Marielle, and she would be sad if she knew Jeanne was imprisoned and tortured.

 

“We lived differently, and I know you’ve seen much worse than I have. Even if those Demons ate most of our family, I don't believe vengeance is the correct answer.”

 

“Using a shitty past doesn’t make your argument believable! Why did you still enlist as a knight of Evanslei?”

 

When Princess Artesia thought things were going to be alright, that response only made her blood boil. She wondered the cause of this is due to the momentary peace that Evanslei attained.

 

“I stand firm that vengeance doesn’t work, but I still carry the hatred against Demons... and those methods you use against them? It holds no meaning. If you really want them to pay for what they have done, you should help Evanslei’s expansion. Don’t you think it’s better to see them in groups bowing before you without putting any effort?” 

 

Jeanne argued peace could be achieved by not relying on unnecessary violence but rather with quick and absolute control over species and human life. There is no point in continuing these mindless tortures, and it only attracts attention from other countries to justify its attack on recovering Evanslei.

 

Only the helpless cries of the remaining prisoners above linger in that room. Princess Artesia reflected in silence and took her time to understand Jeanne’s words.

 

“You’re right, Jeanne... I can’t change my ways easily. This job is sick, and no one wants to do this. If no one bears this responsibility, it'll bring troubles for my Mother, who has been trying her best to protect this kingdom! This is my only purpose, and I’ll gladly do it for the sake of Her!” 

 

One of the recovered bodies started coughing. As time goes by, one by one, their fingers start to twitch. They need to be medically attended to as soon as possible.

 

“That's unfortunate... Thank you for giving me another chance. I’ll make my men retire and spend time with their families more. Please help me to ask for Bancroft's assistance to erase their memories of that expedition...”

 

Jeanne confessed against her will. She sat down on the chair and laid her head on her arms over one another, placed on the table. Despite their huge age difference, she couldn’t help but look depressed. How is it possible for Princess Artesia to stomach this gruesome nature of constantly exposing herself to dead bodies, torture, manipulation, and be the judge on who should live? Princess Artesia is still at the tender age of sixteen years old.

 

No one forced Princess Artesia to do these things. Even every noble was against this, but the Princess’s words are absolute and rule over anyone. Perhaps, ever since the victory over the growing threat of an Ancient Empire, with her being the core and strategically made the war successful. Since then, she finally found the purpose she longs for after accidentally stumbled upon forbidden magic left untouched from there.

 

"I suppose I'll talk some things over a drink... With Marielle..."

 

Jeanne murmured to herself as she closed her eyes and rest for a bit.

 

“Guards! Get these corpses and use them as fertilizers for my garden.”

 

Princess Artesia commanded. The royal guards rushed while the chains they’re holding were rattling through the stairs. They saluted Jeanne before opening the prison. 

 

Every prisoner’s body is siphoned all of their life. What remains of them is decaying flesh. The royal guards have no trouble finding the handle of the chain hidden underneath the bodies. The first set of royal guards took the ones with the chains. These corpses are part of the lifeless group.

 

The second set of royal guards took their time to fasten the bodies' necks to the collar clamps attached to the chain. Once they were done, they didn’t waste any time going outside.

 

“Call… “

 

With a disheartened tone, Jeanne placed her hand on her ear and produced a magic circle. A small spark came out of the circle and searched for the magic lines that is connected to the communication towers nearby.

 

“This is Jeanne. I need the medics team at Princess Artesia’s prison. Also, please bring some food and water. Keep this operation in secret and split into small groups.”

 

Jeanne said as soon as someone from the D'zereshaf household answered.

 

“Understood… We will also bring Doctor Almer.”

 

“Why is that? He’s just a back-alley doctor from the mid-level city.”

 

“Apparently, he discovered magic… No, a medical procedure called Anesthesia. It helps the healing process without the patient feeling pain.”

 

“Ah! That’s good news. This is the work of the invisible hand of Evanslei’s spirits. I look forward to meeting all of you here.”

 

This unexpected message erased one of Jeanne’s burdens, and she felt grateful that everyone could depend on each other if you’re part of Evanslei. She truly believes that if you do something good, you'll be rewarded handsomely and live a peaceful afterlife.

 

“Remember this, Jeanne. In the world where Gods have forsaken us, you can’t be goody-two-shoes anymore. It’ll bring you only pain and suffering.”

 

Princess Artesia commented after she sat beside Jeanne.

 

“I appreciate your concern. However, we will rejoice and fill our lives with happiness so that we don’t have to remember the horrible past.”

 

“You’re an unyielding woman, I suppose. No, why are all knights of Evanslei so stubborn?”

3