Price of Happiness.
1.1k 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I knew that this day would come sooner or later. The cry of a newborn enveloped as soon as I had entered the room. 

'It's a girl.' It was almost four years I had opened my eyes. It was the same day they found me. With the amount of love they had between them, it would have come sooner if not for me.

"Look who is here? It's your big brother." Pain and fatigue still clouded her face but that couldn't hide her happiness. The small child in her embrace was still crying.

"Beautiful," I spoke in the language of this land, but they didn't expect to hear it from me. Next moment she had stopped crying, staring at me with her still-dilated eyes.

"Looks like she likes her brother better than her father." With mother's tease, father started to act hurt, but this little child couldn't let me take my eyes off her.

"Come on, hold your sister." I jumped up on the bed. Mother put down some soft cloth in my lap, before giving her to me.

The eyes were still staring at me. Those eyes hold boundless attraction but what was more beautiful was her hair. It was blonde at the root but the tip was black.

I had seen no one like her. I had an elder sister before but having a younger one feels totally different. Pride of having a beautiful sister, intentions of protecting such an innocent one send a surge of warmth.

"Ahhhhhhh" Those small eyes broke into tears just to remind me that the warmth that was spreading through my lap was her first gift to me. Looking at the frown on my face mother and father broke into laughter.

***********

10 years later.

"Brother is back." A little girl came running as Father and I approached our house. Her hair curled neatly in the blonde braids. It was not that she was naturally blonde, rather her hair was little peculiar according to me. At the root, the hairs were blonde but at the tip it was black.

"Only those who are blessed by God could have such beautiful hair." Mother had said that, and I couldn't argue about that. She was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, of course she was second to mother. 

The girl came running and jumped at me. I was ready for it but still, it made stagger back a few steps almost spilling the fruits, herbs and mushrooms collected in the basket. 

Father was just behind me. He supported me as he said, "Baby your father is also very tied, a hug from you would be better." Father was really doting towards her, but…

"Father stinks." the little girl showed his little red tongue and wrapped herself around my hand as we were heading to the house.

I couldn't help but smile. The warmth of having a family can't be expressed in words. After the torture I had to go through, every moment with my new family is a blessing to me.

I tried to find the information about the project that had created me but there were two problems. This was a small village, not more than 400 people, so it is quite natural that it doesn't have any library. And more importantly, even if it had a library it is very unlikely that there would be any information about an inhuman project.

But it was the same island and I had found ruins of buildings. But lack human remains or any instruments led me to believe that either other people had cleaned it or a long time had passed.

"Welcome back dear." Mother came out of the house. "Amori, let you bother to clean up first."

It was our everyday life. Wake up by the sunrise. The father and I do some exercise. After all, my father is the best hunter in the village. Then we would go to the village market to sell the herbs and meat that was left from last days hunting. After having breakfast we went to the forest to hunt little beast and herds. After returning, we wash up to eat dinner and go to sleep at sundown. It was the same old routine, but I was happy, alas…

"Tomorrow, don't go hunting." Mother was giving the bowl to father as she spoke. I was a little confused, unlike the little girl who was stuffing food without care of the world.

"I heard at the market that the soldiers from the old kingdom had come." 

Hearing her words father's face turned black, "Another war?" Mother gave a silent nod.

*Sigh*

After a long thought father gave a long sigh. "Don't leave the house."

"But you told he we will hunt wild hog…"

"Not tomorrow." Father gave me a gentle pat on the head. I want to ask about the soldiers of the kingdom, but this is not the right time.

The night was long on the island but today the sun came up quicker. With came the sound of hooves. The earth quaked as they approach closer. The house was dark. We were hiding as told.

"Brother, I am afraid."
I couldn't say that I am not but I couldn't say it out loud to the girl shuddering beside me. "Don't worry, your brother will protect you." With a smile, she nodded and wrapped her hand around me, while my eyes were studying the situation outside.

The village was barricaded by a fence made of wood and bamboo. Somewhere in between that there was a gap, what people called village entrance. 

The not so old village chief was there with some elders and my father, who was the best hunter in the village. The merchant was there too, as a foreman, after getting a few extra herbs from the chief.

"Bow before the great lord of Roginian kingdom." someone shouted even before the soldiers had reached the entrance. With the nod from the merchant, all those waiting at the gate went on their knees.

"Good, I like your attitude." The heavy voice sounded as twenty to thirty soldiers wrapped in heavy armour came into view.

The night on the island is silent and I heard it when mother was whispering to father. This might be the very person who had massacred the whole village of 200 people without even living their pet animals. 

Submission is the only way out of the weak. Only thing I could pray that this person doesn't do anything silly. 

I have trained myself for the last ten years. Even father couldn't compete with me in archery and if not for the lack of strength of this 15 years old body I would have beat father a long time ago. Still, I don't believe I could beat this many full armoured soldiers at the same time. I know that the guy is still inside me somewhere but I don't dare to wake him up.

"But Lord how are we going to survive if you take away so many people?" The chief howled in desperation. Only to send flying with a kick at his chest from the lord.

"Who is the strongest soldier in the village?" The silence enveloped again.
"Can't you answer what the lord had asked?" Another soldier howled, the lord stopped him, "If one of you can beat any of my soldiers, I might think about not taking any man from the village."

A path of salvation appeared before the people who were asked to give 200 people for the war. Even the wounded chief looked at my father with hope. If anybody could save the village now then it was my father but I know, 'It is bullshit.'

I tried to stop father but a pair of the small hand stopped me, "Father had said not to get out."
"But Amori, I have to save father. That bad man is goi…" I couldn't continue. She was anxious and tears started to well up in her eyes. I took her in my embrace, "Don't worry, I am here with you."

The fight had already begun. It was no wonder the scrap metal dagger was no match for the well-crafted armour and sword. Though it was not glamorous like the knights that attacked me still it was doing the work. 

Father was agile than the soldier but he was lacking the places to attack. The soldier was putting all his experience to test and it was a test of patience and stamina. 

It was my father's forte and soon blood appeared on the wrist of the soldiers and more wounds followed all over the body.

But I could take a breath of relief, someone shouted and it was my mother. 

*Boom*

The stallion of the lord stuck again. "I said you can beat my soldier. how dare you wound him? By the name of this lord execute this man." 

"Nooooo. Don't do it." Mother shouted. But the soldiers had already received their order. They were holding my unconscious father with the sword inch away from his neck. All the shouts were in vain and before one can understand what had happened to my father, he had already left the world. Along with a heart-wrenching scream, mother lost consciousness.

"Fath…" next one to follow was Amori but by instinct, I covered her mouth. In the desperate struggle, she had bit my hand. Blood was flowing through her mouth but that pain meant little to me.

My head was blank, I don't know what to say or do. I had trained and I had thought that I have become stronger.

'What a joke.' I am nothing. I am just useless. 'I want to kill him. I will kill all those soldiers.' But…

'I can't beat them. I will die.' My instinct or intent wasn't strong enough to overwrite my reasoning. All I can do is endure.

"Lord that is a beautiful woman should we…"
"Why would this lord touch the woman of a brave warrior."

'You are bullshitting again.' looking at the smile on his face I can tell. But weak can only protest in dark.

"This lord is merciful. So this village will give only 100 able body men." No whisper, no protest. All those who could, was now laughing at their own powerlessness. But within an hour, a hundred men gathered at the gate and followed the soldiers. 

*****************

A village with around 120 to 130 able-bodied men. With hundred gone bad things bound to happen. Many will starve if not the whole village but that was not my concern.

Father was buried by others. Amori had lost consciousness a long time ago, and mother hadn't wake till the moons came up. But…

"Mother you have to eat." It wasn't food I have made but was given by the neighbour aunty. 

Mother didn't eat any, neither she talked. Amori, beside her, was crying in sleep, while mother was staring at distant.

"Sorry, mother. I couldn't protect father. I am not…"It was hard to see the life I cherish so much crumble in front of my very eyes in a blink. I have no idea what to do… "I… I just want to die."

*Slap*

If the slap was unexpected then the hug that came afterwards was more so. I could hear her cry. I was impossible for me to control myself any more. In my mother's embrace, I cried like never before. Who knew when I fell asleep.

It was hunger that woke me up but what I hear made lose it. The village was in chaos. 

"This is the house of that woman. Be quite. Lord said he wants her unharmed."
"Hope we get a taste after the lord. I haven't seen such a beautiful woman for a long time."
"There is no one who can survive with the lord for a whole night…"

'I promise that I will kill you. I will kill you all.' I grabbed the bone dagger tight, and slide my body to the door. 'I have no intention to see whether you are human or not. Even if you are god I will kill you after having such thought.'

The door opened, the flame outside had cast long shadows inside the room and I moved. I plunged an arrow through the ear of the one while cutting the throat of others. The body plopped on the ground not believing what just happened. 

The scream woke up both the woman inside the room but it was short-lived. Soon he followed his partner with a slit throat.

"Mother they want to take you away." I tried to explain.
"Come this way." without listening to my excuse she led both of us away through the back door.

The scream of the dying soldier didn't just wake my mother up. As soon as I left the house I could see more than a hundred soldiers were slaughtering and plundering without hesitation. A few of them was following us. 

Even when we entered the forest the soldiers followed us in. I don't know what to think. I killed the soldiers by instinct but if they caught us…

'I have nothing to worry about me but I won't let them touch them. I will protect them even if I have to die.' 

16