14. Infantry Training
472 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I DON'T want to hear about your background or what you want to be. If I say that you will be shield-bearer then you will be one. If I say, archer, then you will strive to become one. My words will be the first and the last thing you will hear."

Without the help of the stick, it would have been hard for the man to stand yet his foul-mouth stood strong. This was the man under whom Kinoya and the other trainees had to train for months to come.

"There 7234 of you are here. Do you think that all of you will be recruited?” With a peal of hollow laughter, he added, “Many of you will die or run back home crying by the end of the first month. Only 5000 will be recruited, not more, might be less."

None of the other instructors, standing behind, dared to interfere as the head instructor continued to curse. They stood there, looking down as if it's a matter of each year.

"The royal court only suggested that there will be only a 10% reserve in the army. The Red Corps have 50000 so they will have 5000 as a reserve force. And that type of thing only happens when we are going on a war."

'From where the hell did you hear that?' Kinoya wanted to ask about it, however, he could only stare at him. JB, on the other hand, stood there acting like he didn't even say those words in the first place.

"For the first month there will be basic training of bodybuilding and weapon training depending on the type of squad you will be. Then there will be advanced weapon training for one month, after that, you will select in the squad, for the last month you will do tactics training with your squad.”

'Only three months?' All Kinoya could do was to give a mocking smile. 'Is the situation that dire?' Thinking about JB's words he could think about another possibility, "The Emperor. The new empire might be refining his assets just to live up to his title, ‘The Strongest Emperor.’”

His silent mumble was soon buried under the mean truth of the head-instructor.
“There will be a test after each month. Let’s not talk about those who will fail the test. For now, all you have to worry about the first month."

Leaving his last words, the man left without wasting any more breath. The next instructor came in and explained the next procedure.

Soon there was a rush all over the place. People lined up outside the tent. It was almost 2 hours before Kinoya got the chance to get in. It was the same process all over again. Kinoya put his hand on the orb and it lights up. The screen was both side view.

[NAME: Kinoya Arviga
Age: 12
Record: No criminal record.
Recommendation: The Arviga Duke, The Moon general, ########
Title: Apprentice General
Pseudo Title: Little Moon General
####:@@@@
Strength: 68
Dexterity: 72
Intelligence: 182
Health: 264
####:@@@@]

Kinoya hadn’t seen the screen on the orb used by general Korai, so it was his first time observing something like the record, recommendation or pseudo-title.

‘It makes perfect sense now. So that was how the general knew about the title.’ On the other hand, he was surprised to see no talent or skill was showing here.

"This is the third time today. Call the Major." The soldier, sitting behind the Orb shouted before turning to Kinoya, "Sit and relax. Major will talk to you personally. Next."

'What is this about?' Kinoya had no idea about it. So all he could do was to move to the side, as the next one came in. The next one’s status got checked but Kinoya couldn't observe it.

"High dexterity, low health. Rearguard, archer." The examiner tossed a red badge to him with a bow design. A smile appeared on the childish face before he moved out of the tent.

"Why are you looking for me?" A heavy voice came from the outside. The examiner whispered something in his ear and a smile appeared on the face.

"Boy come with me." Kinoya hesitated for a moment. "Don't worry you will be back soon." And he followed the so-called major out of the tent and entered another.
"Sit down, boy. You are Kinoya, right?" Kinoya nodded as he continued, "Listen, you are just 12 and you will be able to become a mage if you join the magic academy of the capital."

"I know I was going there."
The Major took some time to take another look at Kinoya before speaking again, "You know ‘The Mage’ has the highest standing in Empire. Even if you fail to become one you can even become a Magic Knight."

"I will become one. But I am not of the age to enter the academy. I will spend some time in the army, then go to the academy"

"Do you think a war is some kind of game you can play, just because you want to?" Those words almost escaped his lips but all he could do was shook his head.

'And I thought with 182 in his intelligence stat he will be much wiser. It is a child after all.' The Major thought out loud, "Well you needed to be 14 years old to be an army."

"But the Moon general said I could join in as long as I got the stats. If there is a problem I can go to the Moon legion or whatever of it left."

'So he is the one who cleared the whole bandit camp.' Realising the secret his tone changed, "No that is not the problem, but you know you can die even before you hit 16."
"I can even die without even joining the army."
"You made up your mind?" The major had no more words to reason the stubborn child.

"That is why I am here after all." Kinoya can feel the goodwill from the person but it is not like he was going to change his mind because of that.

[Did you think that you can die?]

‘That is what I also want to know.’ Kinoya had no intention to say it loud and…

"If you going to join the military I can take you in. I am Major from 3rd regiment."
"Of general Korai?"
"You know him?"
"He brought me in."
"That will make things easier. Just complete your training." With the smile, the major added "With your stat and 2 hidden stats you can easily make it through"

"Can there is a way to know my hidden stats?" His eyes started shining hearing about the hidden stats. He was curious about it for a long time.

"Only the Special orb of capital can show it. If you want to know you can know it from the orb at mage academy or the head mercenary guild. They will charge around 10 gold though.” after a small pause, he asked again, “By the way what type of soldier you wanted to be? With your stat, you are suited for almost anything."

"I will be infantry, the swordsman."

The major was a little disheartened with the answer. " Just finish your training and I will arrange something from you. With your stats, it will be easier to get promoted if you are a cavalryman. Now go back to the ground."

Kinoya stood up from the seat and bowed, "Thank you sir, but I must reject that offer. With my [Intermediate Sword Mastery] I will be more suitable as heavy infantry than cavalry at least for now." And left the tent.

'For a 12-year-old it will be hard to get basic weapon skill, but an intermediate skill? This kid couldn't be a simple one.' With the thought, he left to find the general. 'A genius of such a prospect should be recruited first.'

Kinoya came back to the area of recruitment and it was still going on. He got back to the tent and got his red infantry badge with a sabre symbol on it.

"So you got it right?" JB greeted from behind.
Kinoya about to answer but stopped at the crestfallen look on his face. "What about you?"

"I was told I wasn't clean enough." JB hesitated to speak about it, "Well I am an orphan and needed to do all kinds of things to live. But that is not a problem. I am sure that I will be a well-known mercenary in no time."

Kinoya couldn't say anything to him. Not even 24 hours had passed since their first meeting yet for some reason Kinoya felt bad for him. Maybe because his talent was worth cultivating.

"Well," Kinoya took out a pouch from his dress, "Take it. It is not much but it will help you."
JB opened up the pouch that Kinoya shoved into his hand. The shine left him dumbfounded. "Even a silver level mercenary doesn’t save this much in a year, And you are giving it to me? I know you only for a day at most. I can't take it."

"Don't worry I got it from the bandit base, and here I don't have any use of it. You take it. Don’t make the same mistake again."
"Even if you don't need it now, you will need it someday."

Kinoya closed in and whispered in his year, "If you are right then I will be going to war soon. I don't even know whether I can use this money in another country or not, and you think I would need money. I am the one recommended by the Moon general, the money will come to me."

JB just stood there for a few moments, not knowing what to say. Right at the next moment, he wrapped himself around Kinoya, "Brother If you need anything, just come to Moma, I will give you anything you want. I will be a big mercenary by the time you come back. And don't you dare to die on me."

Kinoya couldn't help smiling, after listening to his words. It was too soon to say he was a friend or not but somehow he got these feelings that the will be in the future.

[[Persuasion] was successful after all.]

The sarcastic comment resounded in his mind again.

**************

After the day-long recruitment of the second phase, almost 400 were sent back home. The number of people in the cave reduced too.

There were two cavalrymen, Akori and Chanakya, one infantry and one archer. It came with no surprise that Biskas was chosen to be a shield-bearer.

A set of loud drum beats woke Kinoya up in the morning. With his years of training under the old man, he had no problem waking up. Without hesitation, he left the cave for the training ground. Between those who came before him, Kinoya could only recognize Chanakya.

There were five poles around the ground with the flag of bows, swords, spears, shields, and horseshoe. After ten minutes 10 people came to the platform with the one-legged instructor in the lead. By that time the ground was jam-packed.

"42, those who came late can pack your bag and go home." With the words, the crowd outside the ground broke into an uproar.

*Whip* *Whip*

The uproar increased for a moment but turned silent on the next.

"Your enemy won't get easy on you just it is your first day in the war, they are not going to ask you before attacking whether you are ready or not, they won't wait to listen to your excuse. Those who can stay conscious after 10 whips will be staying at the camp others will be sent home."

Soon enough only 7 people return out of 42. Another one started to shout again, "What? Do you think this is inhumane? Well, welcome to the real world. And don't worry about the whips. It was a special gift for the first day, from tomorrow if you are late, you will be given 50 whips and then thrown out of the camp."

"Now you will be divided into a group. You have to run around the city by the wall within 3 hours. The good news is it is just 50 km."

"I am an archer, do I need to run that much?" Kinoya shook his head hearing the words. 'Forget about the question, he is going to get whipped just for talking.' And right he was.

"10 whips to the one who talked without permission. It doesn't matter whatever you are when I told you to run you have to do it without any question. Now quick assemble in 25X25. Shorts are in front of the large one in the back. We will start in ten minutes."

And it was a total mess. All the civilians couldn't be arranged in the perfect array just because they were ordered. But with a whip and strict administration, they assembled.

Though 12 years old he can be easily mistaken as 10 years old due to his height. It was quite natural that he was standing right in front of the array. An instructor was running in front of them and leading the way.

'I don't need to run first. Following the instructor is enough.' Kinoya continued at a steady pace.

Some people came from behind and overtaken him, some lagged during the route but the distance between the instructor and him neither increased nor lessened.

After perfect 2 and a half hour, they reached the starting line again. Looking over his back the instructor shook his head and turned to the front never to look back again.

Not even 100 people were able to reach the fishing line with the first group and only 12 people were left standing after reaching the place. Soon people started to flood in.

After 3 hours were up the instructor turned back again. It didn't matter to him whether all the one returned or not, he continued to give commands.

"You are all chosen to be infantry, a swordsman on that. There are two types of it. One is sword shield infantry and the other is dual sword infantry. Now we will have to choose one type of mastery. We will teach you the basics and then you have to earn basic skills named [Basic Sword-Shield mastery] or [Basic Dual-Sword mastery] depending on the path." The instructor looked at Kinoya who has raised his hand with questioning eyes.

"What?" The instructor was irritated.
"Can I learn both of them?" With a moment of silence, jeers started to appear in the crowd.

"Look at the tiny, don't even know his limit."
"Do you even know what skill is?"

All of it turned silent with the shout from the instructor. The instructor wasn't surprised because of the question.

In every batch of recruitment, some overestimate themselves only to fail miserably in the future. But the one asked question surprised him. It was the same one who took down bandit camp himself and also was recommended by the Moon General. He must have his worth.

Still expressionless, he said "You are welcome to do whatever you want as long as you can get the basic mastery by the end of the month. No matter who you are if you aren't able to get the basic skills at the end of the month you are out."

Another hand of the crowd stopped him. "I want to use a two-handed bastard sword." The one was quite tall well built.

"As long as you can get the basic mastery. Now we will move to the training yard 4, where you will train for the first month. There will be an instructor who will teach you through the course of a month, now move." Soon they were lead to the training yard by other trainers.

"You two come with me." The instructor pointed towards Kinoya and another one who asks the question. The other could only take pleasure in thinking about the misfortune was going to fall on them.

9