Chapter 5.1
2.1k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RFF - Chapter Five (Part 1)

'In the future Tu Yun will be living here,' Tao Fang Ao said. 'Big sister-in-law, Tu Yun is still weak. I'll take her back to her bedchamber to rest.'

Tao Fang Ao held Tao Tu Yun's hand and he glared at Luo Bing Liang for putting Tao Tu Yun's health at risk.

'Xiao Cheng, look at your second master Tao,' Luo Bing Liang said. 'Now his eyes can only see Tu Yun. He even glared at me for inviting Tu Yun outside for fresh air. Should I tell your first master Tao that your second master Tao disrespected me?'

Xiao Cheng was stuck in the middle between Luo Bing Liang and Tao Fang Ao.

'Mistress, if you tell first master Tao, he'll say that you shouldn't interfere in second master Tao's business,' Xiao Cheng said. 'Besides, isn't second master Tao falling for lady Tao what you wanted?'

'I changed my mind,' Luo Bing Liang said. 'Your second master Tao doesn't deserve a good woman like Tu Yun. I regret helping him pursue Tu Yun.'

'Mistress, I should take you back to first master Tao,' Xiao Cheng said. 'First master Tao will worry if mistress is outside too long.'

'Alright,' Luo Bing Liang said. 'Let's go.'

Xiao Cheng helped Luo Bing Liang stand, and Luo Bing Liang winked at Tao Tu Yun.

Tao Tu Yun sighed. She understood Luo Bing Liang left to give her and Tao Fang Ao privacy.

'Why aren't you coming with me to your bedchamber?' Tao Fang Ao asked.

Tao Fang Ao hated Tao Tu Yun keeping her distance from him.

'It's rude of us to walk away from Bing Liang,' Tao Tu Yun said.

'I shouldn't let you spend too much time with big sister-in-law,' Tao Fang Ao whispered in Tao Tu Yun's ear.

Tao Fang Ao enclosed Tao Tu Yun's hands in his hands and he blew hot air onto her hands.

'You're too close,' Tao Tu Yun said.

'You're still sick,' Tao Fang Ao said. 'You shouldn't be outside for too long.'

Tao Fang Ao kissed Tao Tu Yun's hands and she blushed.

A maid coughed awkwardly and Tao Tu Yun felt like Tao Fang Ao putting her in a compromising position ruined her reputation.

Tao Tu Yun hid her face on Tao Fang Ao's chest. She hoped in vain that the maid didn't recognise her.

Tao Fang Ao smiled at Tao Tu Yun's failed attempt at hiding herself. Anyone of his servants could recognise Tao Tu Yun's hair style. He felt it was natural for him to kiss her and hug her in front of people.

'I'll take you back to your bedchamber,' Tao Fang Ao said.

Tao Fang Ao wrapped an arm around Tao Tu Yun's shoulder and escorted her back to her bedchamber. He took no notice of Li Tai Feng who was glaring in their direction from a distance.

A couple of days later, Tao Tu Yun sat next to her open bedchamber window and let the breezes into her bedchamber. She didn't feel the cold.

'Mistress, why did you open the window?' Su Wu asked. 'What if you catch another cold?'

Su Wu closed the window. She helped Tao Tu Yun sit on the bed, draped a blanket around Tao Tu Yun's shoulders and put a cup of warm tea in Tao Tu Yun's cold hands.

Tao Tu Yun stared blankly at the cup of tea in her hands.

'Mistress, the last couple of days you haven't been yourself,' Su Wu said. 'Does it have anything to do with second master Tao?'

'Su Wu, you understand me the most,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'You know why I'm troubled.'

Tao Tu Yun understood if Tao Fang Ao kissed and hugged her in front of his servants, it meant his feelings for her were serious. She was conflicted. If she shouldn't return his feelings then she shouldn't mislead him.

'Mistress, can you say you don't have feelings for second master Tao?' Su Wu asked. 'Everyone can see that he cares about you.'

Su Wu heard the rumors from the servants that Tao Fang Ao wanted to marry Tao Tu Yun.

'Which is why I can't stay here,' Tao Tu Yun said.

'What?' Su Wu asked. 'Mistress, didn't you say you wanted to leave the Tao Manor honorably. Mistress, don't you want to wait until your reputation is restored?'

'I'm scared when the truth is exposed, I can't leave,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'Su Wu, can you go pack our belongings? We'll leave at the right opportunity.'

'But...' Su Wu said.

Su Wu didn't want Tao Tu Yun to be sadder so she swallowed her protest. She understood why Tao Tu Yun couldn't stay. Why did the heavens need to be cruel to good people like Tao Tu Yun?

'Lady Tao are you inside?' elder Jiang asked from the door.

Su Wu opened the door and greeted elder Jiang.

'Elder Jiang, do you need to see mistress?' Su Wu asked.

'Second master Tao invited lady Tao for a game of chess,' elder Jiang said.

Tao Tu Yun walked slowly to the door and coughed a little to decline Tao Fang Ao's invitation.

'Elder Jiang, I'm not feeling well,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'I'm resting today. Please tell your second master Tao that I'm sorry I'm not well enough to play chess.'

'I'll inform second master Tao,' elder Jiang said. 'Lady Tao, do you want me to call a physician?'

'No,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'I still have bags of herbal remedies I haven't opened.'

Tao Tu Yun didn't want elder Jiang to call a physician for nothing, and she didn't want Tao Fang Ao to suspect she was avoiding him.

'I hope lady Tao will get well soon,' elder Jiang said. 'I'm going to see second master Tao now.'

'Elder Jiang, wait,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'Are you going to the markets?'

'Yes,' elder Jiang said. 'Lady Tao, do you want me to buy anything for you?'

Elder Jiang hoped that Tao Tu Yun would marry Tao Fang Ao, because he knew Tao Tu Yun would be a good mistress to everyone at the Tao Manor.

'No,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'Elder Jiang, trust me. When you're at the markets, if you hear someone call your name, do not turn around or stop. Remember to keep walking.'

Elder Jiang was surprised by Tao Tu Yun's warning, but the seriousness in her eyes showed him that she wasn't jesting.

'Lady Tao...' elder Jiang said.

'Elder Jiang, remember my warning,' Tao Tu Yun said.

Tao Tu Yun closed the door, and left elder Jiang standing confused on the same spot for a while.

After elder Jiang left, Su Wu opened the door to let fresh air in.

'Mistress, you shouldn't put elder Jiang's life on your shoulders,' Su Wu said.

'But I can't stand by and let something bad happen to elder Jiang,' Tao Tu Yun said.

Su Wu sighed. Her mistress' heart was too kind. She saw Tao Fang Ao walking toward her mistress' bedchamber and she smiled.

'Mistress, it looks like you can't avoid fate even if you wanted to,' Su Wu teased.

Tao Fang Ao walked toward Tao Tu Yun and he frowned.

'Tu Yun, didn't you say you're unwell?' Tao Fang Ao asked. 'What are you doing standing at the door on a windy day?'

'I... we can talk inside,' Tao Tu Yun said.

Tao Tu Yun turned around and avoided the scrutiny in Tao Fang Ao's eyes.

Tao Fang Ao followed Tao Tu Yun into her bedchamber and they sat at a table. He looked around her bedchamber and became suspicious why all the furnishings looked neat and tidy like they were untouched.

'Are you used to living here yet?' Tao Fang Ao asked.

'Your home isn't my home,' Tao Tu Yun said. 'There's no reason for me to get used to living here.'

Tao Fang Ao poured warm tea into Tao Tu Yun's cup and he smiled like he didn't hear her.

'Tu Yun, if you're bored here,' Tao Fang Ao said. 'I can take you sightseeing.'

Tao Fang Ao hated Tao Tu Yun talk as though she was going to leave him.

Tao Tu Yun walked to the open window.

'No...' Tao Tu Yun said.

Suddenly Tao Tu Yun had a coughing fit and pressed a hand over her constricted heart.

Tao Fang Ao rushed to Tao Tu Yun's side and he held her in his arms.

'What's wrong?' Tao Fang Ao asked. 'Where are you feeling pain?'

Tao Fang Ao's heart ache to see Tao Tu Yun's whitened face and to feel her frail body in his arms like she would disappear if he let go of her body.

Tao Tu Yun suppressed another sharp heart pain. It was her fault for interfering with the fates of people around her.

***

End of Chapter Five (Part 1)

2