Second Arc (His Art of War) – 18. Deadlocked
2.1k 4 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's a typical morning in Eternal Harmony City, Asteria. Everyone was busy working, some people were seen starting to open their shops, the market began to be filled with people passing by. But this morning felt different for King Gervis and Ilex. They had just received a report from the 'magic messager' about his troops defeat in the Southern Outpost of Asteria, even General Collett was seriously injured.

King Gervis had sent his elite troops to secure the surrounding area. At the moment, they could only defend and pay attention to Euphorion army's movement to prevent them spreading to the surrounding towns and villages.

Both of them were silent in the Golden Light Castle's study room. Their eyebrows furrowed as they deep in thought tried to find a way to win this war. But nothing... Their previous strategy to attack Euphorion without a declaration of war complicates their situation and limited their choices. If they announced to the court that Asteria was at war with Euphorion. With Asteria's current condition which had lost many soldiers and two generals, it was likely that the nobles would suggest making peaceful proposals. Even though they know that the current King of Euphorion is Angelus Raizel, they will insist to submit it. If the peace meeting was really held they would find out that Asteria had attacked Euphorion without a declaration of war and worse... they could find out the truth about Angel's death five years ago. That could be a threat to the Reinheart family's position as a royal family.
"The only way is we have to hasten Ophelia's marriage to Draconis," King Gervis said breaking the silence.

Ilex could only bend his head before his father who sat behind the desk with a grim expression. Although he did not agree with his father's decision, he also deadlocked. Asteria had lost so much, neither he nor Ophelia could be selfish with their will.

While King Gervis was also still unsure of his decision to marry Ophelia could save Asteria on time, since the marriages between the royal family could not be carried out in a hurry, after all, Draconis also had not given an answer. They couldn't force Draconis to give an immediate response either. But if they didn't make their move quickly then Asteria will be destroyed.
"In the state of emergency, I have no other choice than make an announcement to the court that Asteria is at war with Euphorion. In the meantime, I can only buy time until Ophelia's marriage takes place."

Ilex raised his head facing his father, his hands clenched, from his expression he had decided to keep his sister away from the consequences of this war.
"Father, let me lead the troops to reclaim our Southern Outpost."

"No," answered King Gervis.

"Father!"

"I said no means no!" said King Gervis firmly.

Ilex knew his father would not approve of it. Although a prince has the responsibility to protect his kingdom, in a war like this, they should not be at the forefront. Since they are the future leaders of the kingdom, but in an emergency like this, do they still need to think about it?
"Father, we don't have much time. After they take down the Southern Outpost, Southpoint Town was their next target."

"I have sent Commander Irwin and his troops to secure Southpoint Town," said King Gervis, but even though he had sent troops he still looked uneasy.

Ilex sighed tiredly. He knew Euphorion had four reliable generals. How could a commander defeat a general? Now, two of their generals have fallen and in this emergency situation, one of their generals still has to maintain the security of the capital.

"Is there nothing I can do to win this war?"

39