Prologue (His Past) – 19. His Death
2.2k 6 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been two months since Rose left Asteria, the rebellion has just ended. After negotiation efforts were unsuccessful, forcing them to take decisive step. Now, all rebels have been punished according to existing law.

She sighed heavily while dropping herself to the parlor room chair.
"What a tiring month..." she said to a warm faced woman who sat in front of her. Lady Ivetta Rosemond Crowheart, a Zephyrus noble who was closest to her. She has long black hair with bangs and purple eyes. Ivetta is one year older than her and they have known each other since childhood. 

"Now Zephyrus has returned to peace, what are your next plan?" Ivetta said as she sipping a cup of tea on her hand.

Her mind began to drifting away when she remembered about what had happened two months ago. After a while, a smile began to appear on her face as her cheeks turned red.
"I thinking of visiting Asteria again."

"Asteria?!" Ivetta said in surprise, almost spilling her tea from her mouth. She noticed Rose's flushed cheeks then she chuckled.
"So the news about you falling in love with Prince Ilex of Asteria is true? Even your uncle has to force you to go home."

She turned her gaze to Ivetta.
"Where did you hear that news from?" she asked curiously.

"I heard it from your uncle's aide, he said you disappeared after dancing with Ilex, spent the night with him and just returned the next day." Ivetta said with a teasing smile.

She chuckled.
"That news is only half right. That day I did dance with Ilex, but I didn't spend the night with him. I... spent it with his cousin, Angelus Raizel." she said as her cheeks getting reddened.

After Ivetta heard her words, her smile faded and her expression turned worried.
"Don't tell me you're in love with him." her worriedness seeping to her tone.

She noticed the change in Ivetta's expression.
"Is something wrong? I think underneath his cold face, he actually have a kind heart." then she leaned her face closer to Ivetta. "You don't know how attractive his expression is when I open his shirt." she whispered.

Ivetta gasped in shock as her eyes widened then she distanced herself while her eyes still locked on her then she looked around to checked if the servants heard their conversation before she leaned herself closer again.
"Did I hear correctly? Rose, you are a princess and the only heir of Zephyrus, how could you done something inappropriate before the time? " she whispered.

She giggled and gave her a teasing smile.
"Get rid of your bad thoughts, I wouldn't do anything inappropriate. That night he was injured because protecting me, I opened his clothes just to treat him." she replied with soft voice.

Ivetta breathed a sigh of relief as she distanced herself and leaned to the back of her chair.
"Thank God..." She was silent for a moment while kept staring at Rose, from the look on her face she looked hesitate about something to say.
"Can I have private conversation with you? " she continued.

Rose looked bewildered for a while as Ivetta never asked her for a private conversation before. After a moment, she waved her hand to the servants around her. They bowed to her and left the room.

After the servants left, Ivetta started to speak again.
"Rose... you better forget him... Angelus Raizel... He... died last month."

A frown appeared on her forehead as she stared at Ivetta in disbelief and gave her an awkward smile.
"You're kidding, right? If he's dead, we'll get his funeral invitation."

Ivetta sighed, her expression remained unchanged proving she was serious.
"You have been busy helping your uncle suppress the rebellion, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it... Angelus Raizel is accused for rebelling, they immediately executed him on the spot and according to Asteria's law, rebels won't get a funeral ceremony."

Ivetta's words struck her like a thunder, she looked shocked, her eyes glistened by holding back her tears. 
"Impossible... He's not that kind of person... He won't rebel..." then she stood from her seat. "I'm going to Asteria now! I have to know the truth!" she said as she about to left.

Ivetta held her hand to stopped her.
"Listen to me! Many people still doubt King of Asteria's statement about Angelus Raizel rebellion, but as outsiders we can't interfere with their internal affairs."

She looked back at Ivetta.
"What exactly happened? How could he accused for rebelling?"

Ivetta went silent for a moment, her eyes trembled as her expression turned confused to explain it.
"Actually... everything sounds strange and too coincidental. After he won Asteria's hunting competition last month, they said he was suddenly ill and no one was allowed to see him. One week later he was accused for rebelling." She went silent again, unsure of how to explain it without hurting her feeling furthermore, but Rose kept looking at her as she waited on her to continue to speak.
"After that...they said Angelus Raizel escaped from Golden Light Castle. King of Asteria sent a platoon of elite troops led by his cousin, Ilex Ferris to capture him. But he resisted and killed almost all members of elite troops, so Ilex execute him on the spot." she continued.

Rose frowned as she narrowed her eyes, couldn't believe what she just heard.
"He is a member of the royal family and they immediately executed him without going through a trial?" she said in disbelief tone.

"Yes... they also don't have strong evidence that he rebelled, didn't mention where he was executed, nor bring back his body. Ilex only brought back his badge and his confession letter that he has signed, but his death was confirmed. Because Ilex is the one who executed him. Everyone knows, Ilex Ferris and Angelus Raizel never got along. " Ivetta replied.

"He confessed that he rebelled?" she asked incredulously, hoping she hadn’t heard her correctly.

Ivetta looked down for a moment as her eyes trembled once more then she took a deep breath before turned her gaze back to Rose.
"Actually... it can't be called a signature... in that letter... there's only his finger blood stamp."

Rose fell silent in shock, suddenly her chest felt tight, her heart completely broken. A blood stamp sign is only used for someone who unable to write or for a sick person who doesn't has any strength to hold a pen.
"It's means they forced him to sign it or worse... they just took it after he died."

"According to rumors, King of Asteria wished for Ilex to replace him, but after Angelus won the competition almost all other kingdom officials thought he was more suitable than Ilex, in addition most of Asterian nobles who had opposed him, turned to support him and urged him to become the crown prince. So they decided to get rid of him. " continued Ivetta.

She fell down on her chair, her strength was gone, her eyes were swollen and tears started flowed down on her cheeks as she can't hold it anymore.

Ivetta looked her sadly while held her hand tried to gave her strength to overcome her sadness.
"I know you must be shocked by all of this. But at least your relationship isn't too far, I hope you can forget him quickly." 

Rose turned her gaze to Ivetta slowly, it was clearly her eyes filled with guilt.
"I'm the one who asked him to win the competition. I promised him I would meet him and tell him my name if he won. But I can't fulfill it...Now you told me, he was killed because he won the competition..." Feeling frustrated she couldn’t help but raised her voice.
"I... I'm the one who killed him! I sent him to his death!" she screamed hysterically.

Ivetta hugged her to calm her.
"It's all just rumors, no one knows the truth. It could be that he did rebel or is there another reason behind his death."

She placed her arms on Ivetta's back in response of her hug.
"What should I do? I have disappointed him... I want to apologize to him... I really want to see him..." she sobbed.

Ivetta strokes her hair gently.
"This isn't your fault... No one knows things will turn out this way. So stop blaming yourself..." she said with a calm voice.

Suddenly, a knocking sound came accompanied by a faint voice from outside.
"Your Highness, the king called you to the study room."

She released Ivetta's arms and wiped her tears.
"I'll be there soon." then she turned her gaze back to Ivetta and raised from her seat.
"I'll take my leave."

Ivetta simply nodded.

*

*

*

Rose walked out the parlor room, down the corridor to the study room.

She wiped her eyes once again to make sure there's no tears left on it then she gave a few knocks on the door. A voice came from inside the room.
"Come in."

As soon as she entered the room, King Eudon was seen sitting in front of his desk while reading a letter. His face looks very happy and satisfied.

She approached him and bowed.
"Uncle, are you calling me?"

King Eudon turned his gaze to her and gave her a big smile.
"Rose, congratulations on your success."

She frowned in confusion.
"Congrats for what?"

He gave the letter to her.
"Prince Ilex will visit you in a few days."

"He wants to visit me?" she said as she took the letter from King Eudon's hand and reading it.

"Yes, he is really impressed with you. Congratulations, Rose. I really proud of you." he said happily.

She folded back the letter and turned her gaze to King Eudon.
"Well... What a coincidence, I also want to go to Asteria to see him. I want to ask him a few things." she said as she held back her anger. 

46