Second Arc (His Art of War) – 33. Solutions
783 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He responded to King Gervis with a smirk.

"I won't call you here if I don't have a solution. We have to fix the short term problems first before fixing the long term." He put his index finger back on the numbers on the report. They leaned over, their eyes fixed on the numbers, their expressions turned serious.
"Instead of these funds used to develop the economic city, it is better to use it to repair the city walls. We can cut these weapons budgets in half and use it for agricultural expansion, especially planting short-term agricultural commodities."

"Agricultural expansion requires time and energy. Where do we get it?" the finance minister said in confusion.

"We can save time and energy by using troops," he replied.

"Their duties are to protect Asteria! They are not farmers!" said Chancellor Vello in refusal.

"Of course. But this task is also one way to protect Asteria from the economic crisis.
Besides, if the economic crisis is unavoidable, at least you can secure people's food supplies, "he explained.

"It only slows down the effects of the economic crisis. That is not the solution," King Gervis said sarcastically.

"Indeed. Asteria's long-term solution is to develop other superior products and economic cities."

King Gervis leaned back in his chair and looked at him with a contemptuous look. While the others just shook their heads in disappointment after hearing his words.
"Hmph! We're back to the square one," King Gervis said.

He returned the gaze of King Gervis in confidence.
"For this, we can ask rich merchants to become our investors," he added.

They immediately returned their attention to him after they heard his words. Their foreheads furrowed in confusion.
"Investors?" There has never been in history a kingdom having investors because their existence will disrupt the aristocracy structure.

"Yes, we can offer investment for economic city development and product innovation with a worthy contract."

"You mean?" said King Gervis in confusion.

"We can offer them a title," he answered simply.

-Bang!

King Gervis hit the table hard with a displeased expression after hearing his words. The same expression was also shown by the finance minister and Chancellor Vello.
"Do you mean you want me to sell the noble titles to them ?! Do you want to demean the nobles ?!"

"Not a noble title, but an honorary title as a mark of merit they have rendered for saving Asteria from the economic crisis. This title is the same as an honorary title given to knights or troops who have contributed in war. We only need to change the title name. In addition, we will limit only the five biggest investors who can get this title. "

They fell silent after hearing his advice. He was right, even though there were many rich merchants but they were still a commoner, many of them wanted to get the peerage but that would not be possible except through bloodlines.
"What is the reason they want to exchange their money for the title?"

"With this title, their prestige will rise in the people's eyes. They can also have the opportunity to be invited to nobles parties and attend castle events. In other words, this title can broaden their socialization with the nobles and make it easier for them to get information ahead from the other merchants. Also while we wait for new products to be made, we can offer them a contract to market their products to other kingdoms with a profit-sharing system. But of course, the products must pass royal qualifications. "

"What if they cheat by sending products that do not match with the example that was given to us?" asked King Gervis.

"If that happens, then their contract is automatically cancelled. Their title will be revoked and the kingdom will stop marketing their products without the need to return their money. But all of that must be accompanied by strong evidence."

They exchanged glances, their faces turned brighter. This idea is the best solution they have heard.

Seeing no further rejection from them, he resumed speaking.
"For the start, we can invite them to the castle and meet us in person."

"We?" said King Gervis in confusion. Usually, if a commoner attends an invitation to the castle they only meet with the chancellor, not the king. Unless that person is from the military or in an emergency situation.

"Yes, if they hear the king inviting them to the castle, I'm sure they will be more eager to attend. Besides, I will also be there. I am the highest authority in Asteria and this is my idea, I must make sure everything goes well."

They were silent as they did not think he would participate in overcoming Asteria's financial problems this far. Not only provide solutions but also intervene to fix it. Chancellor Vello and the finance minister's thoughts recalled King Gervis's explanation about what happened five years ago when he was executed without their consent. If he was still their prince maybe Asteria did not need to suffer losing the war as now and if seen from his intelligence rebuild Euphorion to become the most prosperous kingdom in the Andromeda Continent, maybe Asteria would be more prosperous than it is today.
"Your Majesty, are you thinking of returning to Asteria?" said Chancellor Vello bluntly. King Gervis quickly looked at him in surprise, unable to believe he dared to say that in front of him.

Angel gives them a slight smirk.
"Don't get me wrong. I have to make sure everything goes well because I will collect Pearl Gate City's compensation from you after Asteria's economy recovers," he said nonchalantly. Although he wanted to return to his homeland, returned to his family but he knew that would not be possible. He already had another duty, another kingdom to protect and more than that after he attacked Asteria, he did not deserve to return as a Reinheart anymore.

They fell silent again after hearing his words. They knew that compensation for his largest trading city destruction was unavoidable but even so, instead of taking all of Asteria's treasury, he still wanted to clear up their financial problems first. That means he actually still cares about his homeland.

"For the time being, I will only ask you to exempt taxes for all products from Euphorion. The rest we will discuss it after the Asteria economy recovers," he added, closing their discussion.

Hello, author here. I have opened the patreon page for this story, so I hope you can check it. I know this story still has a lot to improve, so I decided to look for an editor or at least a proofreader to improve my grammar. Thank you for my first patreon Michael and thank you for all the readers who have supported me, stay awesome, stay safe. Don't forget to click ❤️ if you like this chapter. 

Note: I will update this story every Thursday and Sunday.

21