Second Arc (His Art of War) – 46. Cousin
701 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Second Arc (His Art of War) - 46. Cousin
He sheathed his sword.
"I will order the guards to take care of this mess immediately," he said as he left.
But Ophelia did not release her grip.
"Ophelia," he called.
She did not answer...
Turning around, he held her hand to release her grip and could clearly feel her body trembling in fear clearly, her eyes still tightly closed.
"I shouldn't have beheaded Duke Owen in front of her." There is a feeling of regret that enveloped his heart.
"Ophelia, it's all right," he tried to calm her.
She shook her head as her hand grabbed his blazer, slowly her eyes opened and looked into his eyes. Rather than fear, sadness is more clearly seen from her gaze.
"Please, don't leave me ..." she said in a trembling voice.
Even though he actually wanted to check the outside's situation but seeing Ophelia's condition he decided to accompany her.
"I'll accompany you until the guards come."
"That's not what I meant ..." She looked at him deeply.
"Stay here ... Return to us. We will be together like before."
He looked away.
"You know that's impossible." 
"Is your revenge not over yet? Isn't it enough that you conquered Asteria?"
"My responsibility forbids me." Returning is no longer possible for him.
"Besides, I have already attacked Asteria. I cannot return to being a Reinheart," he added.
Ophelia raised her hand and moved slowly to rub his cold face.
"Is there no other way so we can return to the way it used to be?" she said sadly.
He grabbed her hand and distanced it away from him.
"No."
She took his hand, pressed it to her face and rubbed her face into his hands gently. Blood from his hands coloured her cheeks.
"Blood doesn't suit you. You don't deserve to be involved in this bloodbath," he said as he pulled his hand away from her face.
"Angel ... If you can't stay. Take me with you," she pleaded.
"I can't," he refused.
"I'm not asking you to marry me, I just want to be with you. Is that wrong?" Her sadness was absorbed in her voice.
"I can't," he refused once more in a firm tone.
"Why?"
"Your place is here with your father and brother. Taking you with me will only destroy your reputation as Princess of Asteria. Beside, it can trigger another war between Asteria and Euphorion."
Ophelia was silent, she knew what he was saying was right, but she couldn't help herself to give up on her ego. A sad smile developed on her lips.
"You know? Sometimes I don't want to be born a princess. I want to be an ordinary person who lives freely with the person I love ..."
"Ophelia listens to me. You and I are royal families, we have a great responsibility to protect our kingdom. You must have an honour for being a royalty. Being a royal family does not mean the honour and wealth obtained from birth but also a great responsibility."
"Then what about my feelings? Can't I get my own happiness?" Her eyes began to glaze over.
He can only be silent without being able to answer.
Ophelia knew that the royal family could not mix their personal feelings with their obligations but she could no longer hold back her feelings. Unconsciously her hands moved to hug him, tears streaming down from her eyes.
"Ophelia." he tried to release her hug.
But instead, she tightened her embrace.
"Let me be like this for a while..." she said as she buried her face in his chest.
"You shouldn't cry in your enemy's chest."
"No ... I'm crying in my cousin's chest."
Her words strucked his heart. Unconsciously, his hands moved slowly, stroking her hair gently.
"Thank you, Ophelia."
16