Second Arc (His Art of War) – 20. The Bait
2k 3 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Commander Irwin spurred his horse, followed by his army. A few days ago, he had just received an order from the king to secure Southpoint Town, the king also gave him a secret order to prepare for another kingdom's attack. To be honest he was confused when he got the order since Asteria was not in a war. In addition to reaching Southpoint Town, the other kingdom troops must pass the border outpost. If Asteria is under attack, the outpost will send the news to the capital, then a declaration of war will be imposed. But after he heard the king also sent the elite troops to the Southern border of Asteria, he was worried. He learned that Generals Helias and General Collett had also been sent to the Southern Frontier Outpost. Although General Helias said he was assigned to take care of the monsters in the South area, but their preparations were as if they were going to war. Besides, they all left in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep and now he was assigned to secure Southpoint Town. He predicted the relationship between Asteria and Euphorion was deteriorating, so the king decided to tighten the security in the South.

"Is the situation already that bad?"

He raised his head, the sun was not yet above his head. He was supposed to arrive this afternoon but since he was worried, he speeds up and expected to arrive before noon.

A few minutes later a town began to appear from a distance. But as he approached the town, he realized the gate was closed. Commander Irwin raised his hand, ordering his troops to stop while observing the town walls.
"Why are there no guards? Where are they?"

Feeling uneasy, Commander Irwin raised his three fingers, instructed the magic user to get ready then he shouted.
"I'm Commander Irwin. I was sent by the king to secure this town."

But he did not receive any answer.

He shouted again.
"I'm Commander Irwin from the capital! By the king's order, open the gate!"

But instead of opening the gate, a woman in a black military uniform appeared above the gate wall, followed by several men in the same uniform. Commander Irwin was surprised when he saw an adamantite badge embedded on her collar.
"Euphorion's General? How could they possibly take the town without any attack reports from the Southern outpost?"

Flare bowed politely and smiled.
"Welcome to Southpoint Town, Commander. You arrived earlier than we thought. We haven't prepared anything yet. I hope you will forgive our impoliteness."

"May I know what reason that brought an Euphorion's General to a small town like this?" asked Commander Irwin as tried to contain his anger.

"This town happens to be in our path, so we think we'll take it first before we take down the capital," she replied casually.

Commander Irwin's anger exploded when he heard her answer.
"We, Asteria have never had a problem with Euphorion! Why did you attack us ?!" he said without further ado, his irritation seeping in his voice.

The smile on Flare's face faded away and changed with a displeased expression, her eyes glaring at Commander Irwin.
"We are the one who should say that! Asteria has destroyed our largest trading city! Attacking our Northern border without a reason!"

Commander Irwin was shocked when he heard her words. He remembered the secret orders that the king had given to him, also remembered about the two generals and elite troops who have been sent to the Southern border.
"Is this the reason why the king sent so many troops to the Southern border and ordered me to prepare for another kingdom's attack? Because in fact, Asteria was at war with Euphorion? " he thought for a moment.
"No, Asteria has been in peace for a long time. Why does the king wage war for no reason?"
"Liar! I've never heard any news about it!" he shouted.

Flare let out a condescending chuckled.
"You don't even know anything about this?"

"You!" Commander Irwin raised his two fingers ordered the archers to get ready.

But Flare also gave her orders.
"Bring him here!"

Commander Irwin held his command, two Euphorion troops carrying a man in official Asterian suit. He was already bound, his head bowed in submission. She took out her chakram and pressed it to the major's neck.
"Commander, we have a lot of hostages here. I hope you can behave more carefully, it will be very bad if I lose my patience."

He turned his head towards his troops and moved his hands down, ordering his troops to lower their weapons. After that, he secretly put his hand to his ear, ordered to send an emergency message to the king, which was answered with a nod from one of the magic users. He turned his gaze back to Flare.
"What do you want?" he asked curtly.

"Takedown Asteria," she answered nonchalantly.

Commander Irwin clenched his hand trying to contain his anger once more, as he tried to find a way to release the hostages. Meanwhile, Flare realized that an Asterian magic user had just sent a 'magic messager'. A slight smirk was seen on her face.
"They've taken the bait. Now we just have to wait for their king to send more of his troops here."

39