First Arc (King of Euphorion) – 50. A Bad News From Pearl Gate City
867 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was almost midnight, Chancellor Allan split the nobles who surrounded him like ants and approached him.

"Your Majesty, it's time."

He stopped his conversation and turned to Chancellor Allan.
"Really? It looks like time flies by so fast." then he turned his gaze to the other nobles that surrounded him.
"I'll take my leave."
Which was replied by bowing from the nobles.

He walked towards the balcony facing the castle courtyard where he could see the Luminus City square clearly. Soon people gathered at the castle courtyard to look towards the city square.

If other capital cities has fireworks festival every new year, it is different in Luminus City. At New Year's Eve the king would stand on this balcony and make orbs of light with his magic power that surrounded the entire city, making the city of Luminus shine like the meaning of its name 'Light'. But of course that only applies for the previous kings who had the power of light, whereas he can't... With the dark power he has, he could only make Luminus City sink into darkness, so he asked for the four elemental spirits representing him while he just standing on the balcony as a formality.

The four elemental spirits were already standing on each high stage that surrounded the city square. Soon the Bell at the Luminus City tower rang, indicating the time is exactly midnight.

As Frost and Flare extended their hand, thousands of small fires like fireflies mixed with small pieces of ice like crystals coming out of their hands, Gale swung his hand controlling the wind around him making the small fires and the ice float in the air. Gaia stomped his foot to destroy the stone platform below him and turned it into small pieces of stone carved with Euphorion's crest. Then, as he stomped his feet once more, the small stones drifted into Gale's wind stream. Gale continued to move his hands to control the flow of the wind around him carrying them higher up into the sky, making the Luminus City sky sparkle beautifully.

A loud applause was heard from the crowd praising them. Gale immediately waved his hand happily with a big grin on his face, Flare threw a confident smile, Gaia looked shy, while Frost still kept his cool, which was replied by the cheers from the crowd. But even though their reactions were different, Angel knew they enjoyed it, because they were today's celebrities.

He looked at them from the balcony and smiled.

"Looks like they enjoyed today's party."

A woman's voice came from behind him.
"Your Majesty, may I join?"

He turned around and saw Lady Belle standing there.
"How did she get in? Isn't this balcony door guarded? I should be the only one here."
But suddenly someone crossed his mind.
"Chancellor Allan... Looks like he tried another way after my meeting with the women on his list hasn't produced any results."
He answered her with a nod as he turned his gaze back to the city square.

Lady Belle approached and nestled next to him, while his eyes remained on the square. The silence between them made the atmosphere feels awkward, he knew at least he had to ask how things were going or a bit of small talk, but he really had to draw a clear line of their relationship, he didn't want to give her an empty hopes.
"Your Majesty, how are you?" asked Lady Belle, breaking the silence between them.

"Fine, " he replied.

Silence returned between them. Lady Belle tried to continue the conversation.
"I heard that Chancellor Allan made you meet some women, is there anyone you like among them?"

"No."

Hearing his answer her heart fluttered.

"Could it be that the rumors are true? Does he likes me?"

"Is there anyone you like?" she asked again.

"No."

She looked disappointed to hear that, but then she remembered the words that she had just heard at the hall earlier.
"Is he really a shy person?"
She held his hand slowly.
"Your Majesty, do you mind to giving me a chance?"

He turned his gaze at her and released her hand as polite as possible.
"I'm not ready, " Angel said as he returned his gaze to the square.

Lady Belle looked down, her feelings mixed between disappointment and confusion, once again the silence returned between them.

"I don't understand, if he doesn't like anyone, why doesn't he want to give me a chance? Is his heart made of stone?"

The night was getting late, the wind was blowing hard and the open neckline dress that she was wearing right now, made tonight's wind colder than usual. But she persisted to stay there and tried to continue their conversation.

He noticed her condition.
"It's getting cold, we better get back soon. It's bad for you to stay here too long."

Lady Belle was a little surprised by his words. He had just been cold to her, but apparently he paid attention to her. He even knew that she was cold before she said a word. A smile appeared on her face and she nodded.

They had just walked a few steps, but suddenly a snow owl came to him. He stopped his steps, extended his hand as a place where the bird could land. As soon as the bird landed on his hand, it turned into a white light that shattered into pieces, leaving a broken message in his head.
'Pearl Gate--City... Help ---'

He gasped in surprise, the message was not a good sign.
"Lady Belle, Forgive me but I can't accompany you any longer, " he said as he walked quickly into the castle, leaving Lady Belle alone with a confused expression.

He walked down the corridor and as soon as he felt no one around him, he used his 'teleport' skill. The dark aura engulfed him in the darkness and disappeared.

23