First Arc (King of Euphorion) – 53. The King’s Wrath II
906 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A knocking sound accompanied by the sound of the door being opened was heard. Chancellor Allan entered the room together with an old man. After taking just a few steps they immediately realized the room atmosphere was very heavy and frightening. They looked at the King who sat on his chair, dark aura enveloping him. From the look on his face, he tried to hold back his anger. They exchanged glances with each other and realized their bodies were already trembling.

"What happened? This is the first time I've seen His Majesty so angry." Chancellor Allan thought. 

Angel took a deep breath trying to calm himself and control his dark aura. Slowly the dark aura in the room disappeared, but the atmosphere in the room did not change. He turned his gaze to those who were still standing stiffly near the door.
"Why are you still standing there?" He said in an authoritative voice.

His voice made them return to their senses. They tried to approach him but their legs felt heavy. He stared at them impatiently and then stretched his hand towards them, his dark aura enveloping them and drawing them closer to his desk in an instant.
"Forgive my impudence, sir. But I don't have much time."

The old man stuttered.
"It-It's fine, Your Majesty."

Without further ado, he took out a handkerchief containing a blood sample that he had taken at Pearl Gate City.
"Can you check what's poison in it?"

The poison master took the handkerchief and unpacked his large bag on the desk. He opened a leather roll, placed down the handkerchief and began to drip some liquid from the bottles in his bag. After each drop, he paused a moment to examine the change of the blood color on the handkerchief. Then he shook his head or fell silent while frowning. Finally, he turned his gaze to Angel before him.
"Your Majesty, I have never seen a poison like this before. This poison is very deadly, easy to spread and only requires a little to kill."

"Do you have any other clues?" he asked.

The poison master was silent, his forehead furrowed and seemed to think hard for a moment. Then he looked like he had just remembered something. He had just opened his mouth to say it but then he looked hesitant and pressed his lips. Finally, he shook his head again.

Angel realized his hesitation.
"Tell me what is it."

The poison master shook his head again.
"I'm sorry that-"

He realized the poison master still wouldn't say it and immediately interrupted him.
"Say it!" he demanded.

The poison master was silent, confusion mixed with hesitation clearly visible on his face.

"I know you know something but you're hesitant to tell me!" he asked again with impatient tone.

The poison master quickly looked down in fear.
"Your Majesty, only the Heart Family of Zephyrus can make such a strong poison like this."

He frowned and thought hard.
"Zephyrus? King Eudon has been close to King Gervis for a long time, especially since he is a member of the peace alliance. So they worked together to attack me?"

The poison master raised his head to look at him.
"Your Majesty, please investigate this matter more clearly... I don't want my words to be the cause of war."

He knew very well that Euphorion has been peaceful for a long time. War was the last thing his people wanted, but in a situation like this, it seemed unavoidable. In addition, he could not tell them the reason yet, since it could cause panic. Also all of this is only based on his analysis, he needs strong evidence before making a declaration of war.
"I will definitely investigate it. Thank you, you may leave."

The poison master bowed to him and walked toward the exit accompanied by Chancellor Allan. After they took just a few steps, Angel spoke again.
"Chancellor Allan, I have something to discuss with you, order the guards to escort him." he added.

Chancellor Allan's steps stopped and turned to face him.
"Yes, Your Majesty, " then he accompanied the poison master out of the room and asked the guards to escort him before returning to the room.

"I want you to inform all the nobles to attend the court tomorrow morning." he said.

Chancellor Allan looked confused, since the court was never held on the first day of the new year. His curiosity prompted him to ask.
"Your Majesty, what exactly happened?"

He sighed heavily and looked at Chancellor Allan with a serious expression.
"Pearl Gate City has been destroyed."

Chancellor Allan's eyes immediately went wide in surprise.

*

*

*

Meanwhile, Cley and Claire walked towards the study room after hearing that His Majesty was really furious. The party isn't over yet but he called Chancellor Allan and the four elemental spirits to his study room in a rush. Besides that, Lady Ryia was also trembling after she returned to the main hall. When the others asked what happened to her, she only said she had just met His Majesty. They could not imagine how angry he was right now so he could frighten her like that.
"It's strange, His Majesty always control his emotions well, even when he is angry, " said Cley in confusion without stopping his steps.

"Maybe something bad has happened. His Majesty has never been angry over small things, " replied Claire who walked beside him.

"Did Lady Ryia do something to him?" Cley tried to guess.

Claire glanced at Cley sarcastically.
"Or you did something to him."

"This time it really wasn't me!" said Cley in self-defense.

"Are you sure?" Claire asked.

Cley frowned as he thought. He tried to figure it out what he had done.
"It seems not..." he said doubtfully.

Claire sighed.
"He must have messed up so much so he didn't know whether this matter was because of him or not."

When they reached the study room, they saw Chancellor Allan come out with a pale-faced old man, fear also visible on his face. They stopped and exchanged glances for a moment as they had the same thoughts, this time His Majesty was really furious!

Chancellor Allan returned to the room while a guard escorted the old man to the castle exit.

They approached the study room door and took a deep breath trying to calm themselves. Claire raised her hand and was just about to knock the door but Cley held her.
"How about we listen to them first? At least we can prepare ourselves better..." said Cley with a hesitate expression.

"Or at least I can make a better excuse if it's because of me."

Claire sighed again, hoping that this time it wasn't Cley who screwed up.

Cley held the door handle and opened the door as quietly as possible. But the first words that they heard were worse than His Majesty's wrath or the punishment for copying the Kingdom of Euphorion history books.
"Pearl Gate City has been destroyed." said Angel.

Suddenly their hearts beat violently and their bodies stiffened in shock.

25