First Arc (King of Euphorion) – 54. Shouldn’t You Protect Them as Their King?!
848 5 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cley opened the door loudly. Angel and Chancellor Allan immediately turned their heads at the direction of the doors.

"Your Majesty, you're lying right? You're kidding right?" said Cley in frustration as he walked toward Angel with unsteady steps and holding back his tears.

While Claire ran toward Angel with tears in her eyes.
"Uncle Bernard? How is Uncle Bernard?" she said worriedly.

"Close the door." Chancellor Allan ordered the guards outside the room. The guards quickly closed the door. Although new year's party at the main hall is almost over but there are still many nobles who haven't returned home yet, this news must not be spread before there is clarity.

Angel looked away regretfully.
"Forgive me..."

After hearing his words, Claire's tears flowed down on her cheeks, suddenly her surroundings felt spinning, her body lost its power and then her vision darkened.

Angel stretched out his hand, his dark aura enveloping Claire and preventing her to crashing on the floor, while Cley immediately ran to capture her.

Cley looked at Claire on his arms for a moment before glancing at Angel angrily.
"Your Majesty... You're kidding right?! You're joking right?! Euphorion is fine, how could Pearl Gate City be destroyed overnight?!"

Chancellor Allan understood their anger but he knew, His Majesty was more angry than they were, he finally snapped at him.
"Cley, watch your manners!"

But Cley ignored Chancellor Allan's words and continued to look at Angel as if he hoped it was all a joke, but he knew Angel had never joked for things like this.
"No ... You must be lying ... You're still mad at me because of last week's incident... Right?" he said sadly, his face filled with tears.

Angel just silent and remained still as a statue while his expression remained unchanged.

Feeling frustrated Cley couldn't help but raise his voice.
"Right ?!" he repeated once again.

"Cley!" snapped Chancellor Allan.

Cley still ignored Chancellor Allan's words and continued shouting at him.
"Your Majesty! Tell me if you are joking! You can punish me anything! But please tell me if you are joking!" Cley screamed pleading, his voice getting louder.

Angel looked at them, he knew that sooner or later he would have to tell them, but he also didn't expect they would find out so soon.
"Pearl Gate City has been destroyed, there is no survivors," he clarified.

Cley shook his head in frustration.
"No... Who did it?"

"I'm still investigating it." he answered.

Cley closed his eyes as he recalled the last time he had met Major Bernard, the tears flowing down on his face getting more and more. Pearl Gate City is his home, where he grew up, the only place of memories when his parents were still alive and Major Bernard is his only family. He already regarded him as his own grandfather. His anger controlled him, currently there was only one thing in his mind, revenge...

Cley opened his eyes and laid down Claire slowly. After that he stood up, ran to take the sword that displayed on the wall and immediately ran towards the exit. Angel quickly raised up from his chair and stretched out his hand again, his dark aura formed a barrier at the door to prevent him leaving the room.

As soon as Cley was about to leave, he hit an invisible wall. He turned his gaze to Angel with anger.
"Why did you stop me ?!"

"Cley Fadington! Do you think your actions are useful? If you go there, what can you do but mourn over their dead bodies?" he snapped.

"Then shouldn't you protect them as their King?! Aren't they your people?!" Cley blurted out in anger.

Angel fell silent after hearing Cley's words, even though he knew Cley was saying it out of anger, but Cley's words really pierced his heart.

"Cley!" Chancellor Allan snapped once more as he felt Cley's words had gone too far. He knew, Angel was angry but he tried to suppress his wrath since the war could not be decided haphazardly. Because this is related to the fate of the kingdom, the fate of his people, the fate of the soldiers who will be brought to the battlefield. Finally Chancellor Allan decided to bring both of them back to their room.
"Your Majesty, I will ask someone to take Cley and Claire back to their rooms."

Chancellor Allan had just turned around, but suddenly Angel spoke again.
"You are right... I should have protected them ... But I let my guard down, I didn't realize this attack at all..." he said, but even though he looked calm, sadness was absorbed in each of his words.

He clenched his fists and turned his gaze to Cley, who was still standing in front of the door, staring angrily at him.
"But I will not let their deaths be in vain. I will not allow the sovereignty of Euphorion to be trampled. I will show that they should not play with me." he added, his eyes full of determination.

Cley looked at Angel deeply and realized his calmness was like an unwavering mountain on the surface, but inside it was like a hot lava that was ready to be fired any time. Finally Cley dropped his sword as he bent his head, tears pouring out of his eyes.

"Cley, bring your sister and go back to your room. Let me take care of it," he said again.

Cley only bowed in reply when his voice could not come out of his mouth, his chest was tight as he hold his anger and sadness. Then he brought Claire back to the room assisted by a guard.

23