First Arc (King of Euphorion) End – 61. Erase His Past
976 8 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun above Luminus City began to lean toward the western horizon. Cley walked down the corridor to the study room at White Moon Castle after canceling all His Majesty meetings with the rest noblewomen on Chancellor Allan's list. Most of them look disappointed, but with Euphorion's current condition they understand His Majesty must be busy. They only asked to reschedule their meeting after the war ended.

He entered the study room and found Claire stiffened near the desk. Her hands was holding a pile of documents but her eyes that still swollen and reddened after crying last night, staring out the window.

Cley breathed a heavy sign, he knew that Pearl Gate City's incident was too sudden, both of them were devastated by this incident. They had heard today's court decision that Euphorion would declare a war against another kingdom. They also knew about Kingdom of Asteria's attack on the North outpost. It feels like things change quickly in just one night. Yesterday they were still having fun at the New Year party but now suddenly they have lost their hometown and worried about the war that will happen soon.

He approached Claire and patted her shoulder gently. She startled, then she quickly resumed tidying up the pile of documents in front of her without saying anything.

"Take a rest. Let me take care of it." said Cley while helping her tidy up the desk.

She glanced at Cley, his face looked pale and tired, his eye bags were clearly visible. It seemed like he hadn't slept last night. 
"You are the one who need to sleep." then she turned her gaze to Cley.
"Your face is messed up, even I can't recognize you."

"But I'm still handsome, right?" said Cley while giving her a big smile, trying to cheer her up. Normally if he said it, Claire would reply by mocking him. But not this time, she instead hugged him tightly and buried her face on his shoulder.
"Promise me, you won't leave alone... Now you are my only family, " she said in a muffled voice, slowly his blazer wet by her tears. 

He placed one hand on her back while the other stroked her hair slowly.
"I promise I won't leave you, " he said softly.

She released her arms and Cley helped her to wipe her tears.
"Everything will be fine... What we can do is do our duty to help His Majesty, then Pearl Gate City and this war can be resolved soon, " he said. 

Claire nodded in reply, then she realized she hadn't seen His Majesty after saw him entered the main hall this morning.
"Cley, do you know where His Majesty is?" she asked.

He shook his head.
"I already asked Chancellor Allan, he only said that His Majesty was taking care of the North outpost with the four elemental spirits."

Claire thought for a moment.
"Did he go to the North outpost after hearing the news?" she guessed.

"No way! The North Outpost is so far away, there's no way he left without preparation! Besides, there are already General Gaia's troops guarding it... He won't possibly go there!" Cley said in an emphasis tone.

Claire looked at Cley in surprise at his reaction.

"I mean... He's a king, he doesn't need to handle it himself, right?" he said again with a calmer tone. The guilt began to seized his heart when he remembered how he was angry with His Majesty yesterday.
"No... There's no way His Majesty went there ... If he had risked his life just because of my words I would not be able to forgive myself ..."

The dark aura that suddenly appeared in the middle of the room startled them. When the dark aura disappears Angel, Frost and Flare appeared from there.

"Cley, Claire, what are you doing here? You should rest," said Angel while staring at them who were still stiffened near his desk.

Now they understood what Chancellor Allan meant this morning. As soon as Cley returned to his sense, he immediately answered.
"W-we're fine."

"Don't overexert yourself, " he said again before turning his eyes to Frost and Flare.
"Frost ordered my new troops to get ready."
"Flare, call Chancellor Allan and the finance minister."

"Yes, Your Majesty, " they answered together and left. 

He averted his eyes Cley and Claire.
"Keep what you just saw a secret, " he said as he walked to the chair.

They answered with a nod.

As soon as he sat in his chair, he took several documents and checked them as usual. Even though they could guess he had just returned from the North outpost but he looked calm, as if nothing had happened. In confusion, finally Cley decided to ask.
"Your Majesty, how is the North Outpost condition?"

"For the time being, everything is under control. Gaia and Gale will take care of the rest, " he answered without turning his eyes. 

His calmness made them more confused.
"Your Majesty, is there will be a war soon?" Cley asked again.

"Yes, that's why I'm preparing it."

They exchanged glances in confusion. Euphorion will be at war but why does he look so calm?

He lowered the document on his hand and turned his gaze towards them.
"I forgot to tell you, I will be gone for a long time soon. I will assign you to help Chancellor Allan while I am gone."

"Where are you going?" said Claire worriedly.

"I will lead the war to Asteria, " he answered casually then he returned his attention to the paper sheet on his hand, as if leading a war was a normal things for him.

They fell silent when they heard his words. Cley looked down in guilt and clenched his fists.
"This is my fault... He was going to go to war because of me." 
"Take me!"

"No." he replied.

Cley raised his head. 
"Why? Didn't you teach me how to fight? I can help you!" he insisted.

He sighed as he raised up from his chair and stood before him. He knew Cley was very stubborn about things like this, so it was better to let him prove himself than arguing with him.

Angel took his sword and threw it at him.
"If you can stab me, I will let you come along. But if I can snatch Nightmare from you, then you have to stay."

Cley looked at the sword on his hands before returning his gaze to Angel in doubt.
"Your Majesty, I cannot stab you."

"Nightmare won't hurt me, " he said as he walked to the empty space in the middle of the room.

Cley tightened his grip on the black sword on his hand and looked at him with determination. He took out the sword while Claire immediately walked away from them.

Cley dashed as he raised his hands to slash him. But before the sword reached him, Angel kicked Cley's wrist and threw Nightmare out of his grasp. The sword was flung up, then Angel quickly snatched the sword and aimed it at Cley.

Cley paused for a moment before finally looking down in disappointment. Angel lowered his sword and sat back in his chair without saying anything, his hand took another sheet of documents and worked as usual.

"Your Majesty, forgive my words yesterday, " said Cley out of blue.

"It's fine, don't repeat it again, " he answered without taking his eyes off from the document on his hand.

Cley's hands clenched by holding back his sadness. While Claire looked down, trying to cover her tears that began to drip. They had just lost Major Bernard, now His Majesty will go to war. They know even though he always act cold, he actually protects and loves them like his own sibling.

Suddenly, Cley approached and hugged him.
"Promise me, you have to take care of yourself, " he said, his eyes starting to glaze over.

Angel could only be stunned in surprise on his chair. Before his surprise disappeared, Claire also approached and hugged him.
"Your Majesty... You must come home safely..." she said with a sob.

He breathed a short sigh as a smile started appear on his face and threw his gaze at them alternately.
"I promise, I will take care of myself and come home safely."

"We will wait for your return..." said Cley as he tightened his arms.

"I will definitely return," he replied.
"Yes... This is my home now... They are my people... Therefore I must protect them..." he thought as he cast away the remaining Prince of Asteria inside him. 

24