Chapter 14-15: Pre-Soldier Exam (1,2) The Pre-Soldier Exam Begins!
198 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At an isolated area of the Training Grounds, a young teen boy could be seen swinging a bo staff diligently against the bark of a tree. 

The boy did not express any excessive movements and simply swung his bo staff back and forth. He alternated his stance from time to time and took different approaches to swing his bo staff. 

Although the boy was neither fast nor slow, each proceeding strike bore consistent power no more and no less than the one before it. He would take breaks occasionally and would switch to barks of other trees when he felt it was enough. It may seem he was taking it easy, which he indeed was to some extent; however, the degree of control he displayed was astonishing. It was a difficult feat to accomplish proven by the clear tracks of sweat that trickled down his face. 

Before long, a young man in his twenties approached him.    

"Ain't it time to take a rest, kiddo. Ya don't wanna break a sweat before the exam."

"Yeah. I'm about ready to go. If I don't leave soon, Stilla will end up dragging me to the exam. I'd rather not trouble her." 

"What ya saying? You're always troubling little filly."

"Arguable . . .  *sigh* Always insisting that she's my big sister . . . I already have one . . . " 

"Hahaahaha. So the hotshot is into the older chicks, eh? Ain't surprised. Glad that somebody will take her in tho, it's about time she finds a man."

The two are now an arm span away from each other. One would think there would be an awkward air around them due to the incident. But, if anyone were to see this conversation, they would be heavily surprised. 

"That large boulder over there, why don't we sit there and chit chat for a bit. I'm sure little filly won't drag ya back in the next couple of minutes."

"I don't mind."

The two sat on the sturdy large boulder. There was a brief moment of silence before Halio began to open his mouth.

"So kiddo, you anxious for the exam? Or are you ready to rumble?"

"You were watching me earlier behind the trees over there. What do you think?"

"Heh, you have a sharp eye. It's dark over there from this distance, I didn't think you'd be able to see me from there."

" . . . "

" . . . "

It was silent. Only the sound of people training could be heard in the distance. Other than that, the breathing of two young males was audible. 

"After that incident,I've thought to myself that I should try a little harder, ya know?"

Seeing that Dalis did not completely understand what he meant by those words, he started to explain.

"You know what I mean, my attitude has always been lax and carefree. I can only get in the mood if I find it amusing or interesting. Because of that, Karen and the others always smack me around. Following the incident, you can say this bloke has opened his eyes a bit. Heck, I wouldn't have minded if they'd give me a harsher "punishment" than that. Halio shrugged his shoulders.

"You still don't seem suited to be a teacher." 

"Never said I was perfect."

(This guy . . .) Dalis couldn't help but shake his head side to side. 

Seeing Dalis's response, he let out a faint chuckle.

"Any advice for a no-good teacher like me?"

"Advice . . ."

After the trailing of that one word, he went silent. Halio was a little perturbed, but he did not make a sound in concern that it will affect his concentration. 

Only the occasional chirps and pitched cries of small critters filled the quiet field. It was not long until Dalis found an answer.

"I thought of a couple of things; however, I believe that there's only one thing that needs to be said."

"Righto, let's hear it."

"Just do what you think is right."

"Hey, hey—"

“ “Try a little harder.” That's what you said right?"

"Yeah."

"Then follow through with your words. It's the conclusion you reached correct?"

" . . . "

Halio was mute, but a splurge of laughter came from his mouth by the next moment. 

"Hahahahaha." Halio continued to laugh until he was satisfied. Dalis was very troubled; he had no idea what was going on with the bloke. 

(Is he drunk on laughter?)

Yaaa

Halio suddenly pushed himself away from where he sat and landed safely onto the ground. 

"Righto kiddo, before we end up chattering away it's about time ya head over there."

Dalis was speechless. 

"Right on, just gotta try a little harder," Halio said, feeling very refreshed. "Crap, how long have we been in here? Ya should probably get going. Sorry for taking up your time," he added.

"Yes, I will get going now teacher. Thank you for keeping me company." 

"Any day kiddo, if ya wanna chit chat just head to me. I'd be doing some errands here and there for the most part."

(Community service . . . ) Dalis thought.

Dalis then began to walk towards the direction of where the exams were taking place.

"Oh yeah one last thing."

Dalis stopped and slightly turned his head around.

"What you did ain't necessarily wrong. Just make sure the circumstances are right. That time was a definite no no. Otherwise, you'd regret it."

A breeze swept over. 

Dalis was unfazed by the sudden chill.

"Understood."

"Oh yeah! Now show ‘em why you're the hotshot."

 

***

 

It was approaching midday. Dalis walked towards the site of where the exams would be held. On the way there, the surrounding vegetation grew more lush, flowing with natural vitality. 

Entranced by the seemingly drastic change from their usual prairie clearing, Dalis had arrived before he knew it. 

In front of him was the Maizan Forest. A fenced wall blessed with Caleyar's magic surrounded this forest, but it could not contain the large overarching vines peeking from behind the gates and through the walls. 

At the main gate, he could see hundreds of candidates with a conjured stage present. 

The stage was made of interlaced marble and vegetation, shaped like a rhombus that closed in towards the Maizan Forest gate and was enough to stand the sizeable amount of participates at the scene. Despite the many participants on the stage, there was a large clearing towards the front where only a number of people stood. 

They were the examiners. 

Dalis headed towards Sister Edna's group for the roll call at a steady pace.

"Daalis . . . You're late." 

"Daaaaliissss. You're almost late." 

The voices of two familiar females reached his ears. 

It was Sister Edna and Stilla. 

Stilla was the first to approach him.

"They're about to begin explaining the rules! I was going to drag you over here but everybody here stopped me wuuuu." Stilla pouted with two fists clenched raised below her chin.  

"Obviously."

"Naturally." 

Two people came behind Stilla. 

It was Sister Edna and Melvin.

Although it seemed both were here to criticise him, Melvin was aloof. It seemed he didn't need to dirty his washed hands as Sister Edna was there.  

Sister Edna went closer to Dalis. Her arm could be seen slowly and gradually raising.

(Crap, she isn't thinking of doing the classic “dragged by the ear” trope is she?)

Dalis was ready to scurry away as he moved back a few steps. However, he eventually stopped and let the reckoning take place.

Pat

" . . . "

"Dalis don't be late for such occasions; otherwise, you will keep us worried. Okay?"

"Okay."

" . . . You didn't think I was going to do that classic trope did you?"

There was a brief second of hesitation by Dalis.

"No, of course not. Sister Edna has never done such a thing and would never do such a thing anyway."

(Though I've been dragged by the collar by Stilla.) 

"Sister Edna knows everything Dalis~" Sister Edna teased.

Stilla seemed to give out a little pout while Melvin was flabbergasted. If he had known, he would've thrown in a few words or too before Sister Edna was present. Due to them being in the Pre-Soldier Exam, he was restricted to act much more maturely. 

There were whispers around them by the other children guessing that last line by Sister Edna was a tease with more meaning to it. Though, the majority were sceptical and dismissed it as nothing but imagination going awry.

"Everyone may I have your attention please." A deep voice resounded across the field.

All the people present had stopped their conversations and turned towards the direction of the voice. Around thirty or so individuals were standing firmly. From first glance, one could tell that they were the authorities and organisers for the exam. Several faces were recognisable by Dalis. For instance, Scholar Somal, Mother Michelle, and Apostle Wrau.

The man who stood before the candidates was Vanquish General Zelgius.

"Today is the day of the Pre-Soldier Exam. It is the day where you and the rest of your fellow comrades are tested. We are here to see how much you have grown over the years, how much your abilities stand, and how much you fare against your peers. Above all, to see if you have the calibre to become a soldier-in-training.

"The two hundred and forty-seven of you youths are the most qualified children eligible to partake in this exam. You may not all be from the same origin. You each have different histories and reasons for being here today. However, all of you are certain to be the next Vanquish soldiers in the near future.

"Whether you are from the Church or not, all of you will be proud of aiding in defence of our continent from the vile demon beasts who caused tragedy upon our homeland five years ago. We cannot let such a war happen again! That is why you must all perform to the best of your capabilities. Prove your worth! Prove that you want to be Vanquishers! This is only just the beginning!" 

"OOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!"

Children cheered as their bodies became ablaze with fighting spirit. Ready to take on the challenge. They were indeed the next generation to become Vanquish soldiers. 

After the outcry, a handsome man in his early twenties began to move towards the speaker. Each step he took was graceful and elegant. Just by this, it was obvious he had been well-groomed at a young age. 

Whispers were exchanged across the crowd.

"Could that be . . . "

"Oh he's so gorgeous."

"The number one most handsome man in the Cresuilge Kingdom. That's for sure."

"It's the Prince, the Prince, our Royal Highness!"

"Why can't there be any decent guys around me that are somewhat as handsome as him?"

"Hmph." 

The picture of royalty, integrity, and composure. He donned a regal sash decorated by the royal seal lined with bright gold and layered over a thin iron plate that held up his stout appearance. An ebb and flow of magic power could be seen coursing through his garments as a light runic inscription surfaced on his robes and seemed to be alive.

The man had cascading maroon hair, cut short above his shoulders that danced with the wind much like his sash but failed to hide the gleaming amethyst eyes that lay underneath. His countenance radiated with composure. Yet, it was all-encompassing. 

He didn't seem to be above anyone yet not one of the participants would claim to be in his league, especially when they caught a glimpse at the sheathed claymore poised by his side.

 

***

 

"Greetings everyone. It is an honour to be able to have the privilege to speak here today. As you may know, I am Kayle Hindebrandus Relza, the Crown Prince of Cresuilge Kingdom. I am here today as a special guest to watch over the fine youths of our Pedlar Continent do their utmost best in their exam. While it may seem exaggerated that a future heir of Cresuilge Kingdom is here to witness this exam—let me disclose something enticing for you all. In the upcoming short weeks, this year's 93rd Knights of Kingdom Tourney will commence. The surviving top participants of the tournament will have the opportunity to perhaps obtain the honour to become one of the well-privileged knights of Cresuilge Kingdom. Now, what exactly does this have to do with you all? The individuals who perform remarkably in this Pre-Soldier Exam will be eligible to participate in the tournament." 

"WHAAAAAAAATTTTTT WOAAAAAAAAAHHHH"

The uproar of the candidates became even louder than the previous roar. It was even getting slightly out of control. Faces of the authorities varied. Some had forced smiles, others seemed approved of the motivation, while others felt a little grieved at the difference from the previous speech. After all, this was the exam to become future Vanquishers, not to become a winner of the upcoming Kingdom tourney. 

"I would like to thank the Missionary Church and everyone else who had collaborated to make this event real."

Crown Prince Kayle delivered a bright smile to all the authorities. Many fell in a trance by the young adult's countenance

"There is more to be said, but I will leave that until after the results are in. To those ones who triumph over this challenge. I will be watching you all."

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap

Wild applause filled the stage. Crown Prince Kayle gracefully left the spotlight as another Vanquish General took his place. 

It was Vanquish General Marie.

"Listen, well candidates, as I will be explaining the content and rules of the exam."

The stage became very silent. 

"This year's Pre-Soldier Exam will be a Hunting Competition. One could say it's similar to the Hun*** Games. All of you will be scattered across the Maizan forest located within the Vanquish walls. This forest is under the direct jurisdiction of the Vanquishers, and it has been routinely kept in condition to grow medicinal herbs and contain beasts for training purposes. However, today it is to be used for something different. The monsters occupying this forest for this occasion will be especially fierce. They were selected specially to test you, young future Vanquishers.

"At the beginning, you will be teleported into the forest with no equipment at hand. It is to note that enchanted armour and runic armour is also considered as equipment. For those who have brought equipment, please give them to your respected Sisters for care until the exam is over. Now, throughout the forest, there will be chests filled with weapon artefacts scattered across the forest. That will be your source of equipment necessary to not only defeat the beasts, but also to track your score. These weapons artefacts supplied by Cresuilge Kingdom are special models tailored to be usable by all practitioners, while also imitating the effects of artefacts so that candidates with blessed mana can use them. The weapons will absorb the mana from fallen beasts to gauge your score for the hunting section and that mana will be extracted and graded once the examination has concluded.

"The stronger the beast, the denser the mana will be when extracted. Thus, stronger beasts are ideal. However, do not get ahead of yourselves! The beasts have keen senses and are not to be underestimated. There is one particular beast, known as "The Monster" and is one you must avoid. You will know which it is if you were to encounter it. If you want to blindly go ahead and get yourself killed, go ahead. We are not responsible for children who bite off more than they can chew.

"You will be in there for five days. In those five days, you will be tasked to seek nourishment and water to survive like you have been taught in the Orphanage, as these will not be provided for you. Your choice of artefact or weapon will be more vivid in colour the more mana it absorbs. Thus, there is no sure way to verify exactly how much mana you have collected. If you wish to retire for whatever reason, whether you're unable to go on further or feel satisfied with the mana you"ve accumulated. Say the words "I wish to retire". You will be teleported out. Keep in mind at noon on the fifth day you will be forcibly teleported out. Moreover, we will be watching you all through the artefacts in the chest."

A few murmurs of chatter spread across the stage.

"Are there any questions?"

"Yes! What is the identity of "The Monster?" Is it something we are aware of?"

"That is a secret. Curiosity killed the cat. Do not ask about it."

"Are fighting with other candidates allowed?"

"That is a good question. You may fight with other candidates, but it isn't recommended as the time you waste could be spent hunting other beasts. While squabbles are allowed, if we see anything that can be deemed unjust, then prepare for the consequences!"

"What happens if we can't escape?"

"If such an event occurs and we recognise and see that your life is at high risk,  our surveying force will be dispatched at first notice. Then you will be sent to the Medivan Hospital. Keep in mind, our surveillance is limited to the weapon and is periodic. If you were to be unfortunate to not be viewed at a moment of crisis, then your life may be lost. So you should not rely on the teleportation as a perfect talisman."

In Pedlar Continent, there were a few hospitals spread about, which are owned by the Church. The Medivan Hospital was the main hospital of the Church, headquartered in the Town of Vanquish. The owner and operator of the Church was Apostle Medi. For the most part, Apostle Medi was in charge of the Medi-Brigade. The Medi-Brigade was tasked with providing immediate first aid to the frontlines. In addition, overseeing the Medical Combat Department of the Medivan Hospital. This department focused on nurturing individuals to become future Medi-Brigade members. When enlisting to become a future Vanquisher, one had the option to join the Church Orphanage or the Medi Combat Department to be educated and trained. 

"No more Questions? Good! The Pre-Soldier Exam begins now!"

 

***

 

Dalis's eyes which were squinted from the dazzling light slowly dilated. The world before him was no longer the stage where he stood a few seconds ago. His line of sight only captured trees, vegetation, and other plant life. He was now officially in the Maizan Forest. The teleportation circle had separated him from his familiar peers and Sister Edna. He was all alone. 

"Wow it feels as if I'm alone in this world. I feel weirdly at peace."

There was no Stilla to drag him around. No annoying Feeria snob to pester him. Nothing constraining him. Since his time at the Orphanage, Dalis was never truly isolated. The Orphanage was a place where individuals gathered and interacted with one another. Relationships and harmony with one another were standard. Living together was normal. Being tied together by the Church and its teachings was expected. 

"Yet, at the same time, I feel a little lonesome . . . "

He stared at his right hand. The warmth from a moment ago was still present. A series of words echoed in his mind.

"Listen up, we are going to find each other and I'm not taking no for an answer! There was no mention of anything saying we can't work together. So if we get together, I know we will be able to beat this exam to a pulp!"

(Yeah I wonder what exactly will be beaten to a pulp if we disobey.) 

(Tsk, to think I'd have to work with this gnat again. No, considering how vast this forest is, the chances for me to come across him are . . . ) 

Unknowingly, Dalis's mouth curved upwards. 

"Well, I guess I should go find them. After all . . . "

Dalis's mutter progressively trailed down. 

Dalis explored the area. Due to the trees blocking out a sizeable amount of sunlight, it was a little dark. As he trod carefully through the forest, he saw a couple of beasts. Although none of them were particularly noteworthy, if he were to engage in combat now, he would be minced meat for certain. Thus, Dalis's first objective was not to find his comrades or find the hidden chests, it was to find a clearing of some sort to make camp. That way, he would be able to have a base where he could return to and not worry too much about beasts sneaking behind his back. Dalis may have extremely observant eyes that are not too hindered by the dark, however without a weapon, he was still a lamb waiting to be slaughtered. 

Behind a large mossy rock shone by a cone of sunlight, Dalis had discovered some herbs.

(Oh these herbs? Isn't this a remedy for demonisation? If I were to mash this and mix it with other materials, it would gain properties resistant to demonisation. It was said to be flora blessed by Caleyar. Hmm . . . . These will be useful.) 

Dalis began to carefully crop the herbs one by one with the utmost care. These herbs were definitely something that needed to be preserved at its best quality. Unfortunately, Dalis did not have any special tools that will help him maintain the purity of these herbs. Nevertheless, it would be sufficient. 

As Dalis was about to reach his hand to harvest the final two herbs, he froze. Dalis's instincts were shouting at him that if he were to pluck the final herbs, he would be in danger. Dalis attempted to calm the upheaval of breaths that had escaped his mouth. He then tried to sense if a presence was nearby. Indeed he felt something . . . something behind him . . . something was watching him . . . 

3