Chapter 18: Pre-Soldier Exam (5) He’s one of a kind
157 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was hushed after the sound of the utensils faded away. Many faces of the individuals seemed to wonder who would be the first to utter a word about what they had just seen.

Calmly, the Crown Prince was the first to speak a word. 

"To clarify, that is . . . a Rhinearian Beetle . . . correct?" 

"Yes. Judging by its exterior appearance and its overall figure. It is probably . . . no definitely a Rhinearian Beetle."

It seemed like a rhetorical question. However, it was not an inappropriate inquiry to ask.

"So what exactly is he doing? . . . I can't seem to put my finger on it."

"HAHAHA!! That boy!!!" Apostle Wrau couldn't help but laugh out loud in amusement.

"That child . . . is he using that tri-section staff as a whip to exert control over that Rhinearian Beetle?"

On the screen displayed, Dalis could be seen whipping the Rhinearian Beetle. His posture was upright, and his movements are exaggerated. 

The beetle had knocked down several trees. It cut down the fallen trees with its pair of mandibles and steel horn. Dalis's gestures appeared to suggest that he was trying to teach something to the Rhinearian Beetle. 

It was as if he was training a pet. 

However, with how tyrannical he looked through his mannerisms and supposed shouting . . . this was simply animal abuse . . . no beast abuse! 

Although they were able to see his mouth open and close, it was unfortunate that sound was incapable of being transmitted.

"It's not that simple either . . . he's using the tri-section staff to provide directional guidance for the beast to slice those trees and encourage its movement!" Apostle Farden was impressed. 

"That boy where is he from, Apostle Wrau?" 

"He's an orphan, Mother Michelle picked him up somewhere nearby." 

"Nearby? That's too ambiguous, but I suppose he couldn't be from the north?"

"Are you thinking about that beast master clan from long ago? I heard that they had perished mysteriously three hundred years ago." 

"Yeah . . . but even so . . . "

"You kidding me? Those beast masters were said to have used a strange art to tame their beasts. Wasn"t it said a few minutes ago that he only had a dormant mana seed. Besides he's clearly imparting pain through his whip! It's pain compliance!"

"Enough with the foolish talk you two. That isn't the main issue at hand. Apostle Wrau, although I have been an overseer for the past few years for the Pre-Soldier Exam, I have never seen anything like this. Technically this is not a breach of the rules . . . but is this considered to be legal or . . . just? As they will grow to become future Vanquishers, this may be problematic or even detrimental. I ask senior Apostle Wrau for advice. Please do not put personal feelings into this," General Marie solemnly asked. 

"For now we will watch over him. In the first place, what Dalis is exerting control over is a beast. Not a human or a . . . demihuman. They were tasked to kill them. Dalis simply chose a very different approach which was to tame it. Who knows, we may learn something from the youngster. However, if his actions reach a point which could be considered overboard . . . then I will make sure to give him a talk about it."

"L-learn something? . . . Understood. Then we will remain vigilant in our watch. Should we send someone in to personally watch over him?"

"Unnecessary Marie."

"Learn something . . . hmmm. I'm a little excited to see what actions he would showcase later," Crown Prince commented as he sipped on his glass of fine red wine.

"Apostle Farden is there something you wish to inquire? You appear deep in thought."

"Oh, I was just contemplating about that boy. It is such a pity that he has a dormant mana seed. By his age, he would very likely not go under any transformations."

"Ah . . . a deformed mana seed . . . "

"Heyyy Baseth don't say his seed is deformed! He is still young! In the coming future with his talent, I'd reckon he will shake the world up! Even if he continues to have his dormant mana seed. Who knows . . . maybe he will become the next big hero, like Crown Prince's mother years ago!"

"That would be splendid news to hear for your Church. It's been a very very long time since the last person from a Church background became a hero," Crown Prince Kayle politely commented.

A few faces slightly contorted. Unlike the other nations, it was known throughout the Pedlar continent that the amount of heroes that have been birthed from the Church was relatively much less. 

"Ah . . . it looks like the screen has switched to another perspective." 

"The Pre-Soldier Exam is not all about that boy. Let us watch the other candidates. But he is definitely of interest. After all, he is one of a kind."

 

***

 

"Alright, that should do it. Good work."

Dalis used his tri-section staff to give the beetle one final flail as a pat on the back. Or rather, a smack on the back. The Rhinearian Beetle had thought it did something wrong as it released a little screech. No, it was probably a whimper . . . 

"No. You did nothing wrong. Instead, you did a staggering job . . . here this is your reward."

Dalis walked towards the beast and carefully took out the calpufer herbs from his pocket. He raised the arm which held a few calpufer herbs into the air and waited for the beast to take its well-deserved reward. At the beginning of his taming lessons, he wouldn't dare feed the beast with his bare hands and instead threw the herbs mercilessly onto the hard floor. This was not only because he wanted to avoid being bitten or attacked, but it was also to explicitly drill the idea that he was the master, and he was the servant. Not a slave . . . no he was unquestionably not merciless because of their past conflict. Working conditions were definitely in accordance with the welfare of pets.

The beast understood and made a joyful cry as it slowly but carefully savoured the calpufer herbs in his hand. Dalis was pleased with the result and as a matter of course, provided the beast with extra fillings. Watching the beast made him feel a sentimental attachment to it. Dalis used his other arm to stroke the beasts head. If Stilla was here, she would definitely say the words "how cute!"

(Hmm . . . I can't possibly take the Rhinearian Beetle back, can I? Wait am I thinking of taking this beast back home as a pet? How ridiculous.)

Dalis shook his head from side to side to rid those thoughts. It was very unlikely that the Church would accept this. Sister Edna would probably be able to be won over. However, she is just a sister, and her authority only reaches so far. In any case, it was impossible. After all . . . 

When the Rhinearian Beetle had finished its meal, Dalis proceeded to start work. The trees had been roughly sawed into logs and were notched at each end. Although the pieces varied, it was sufficient to construct a hut or a cabin. He utilised thick vines blessed with Caleyar's mana to tighten and assist the hold of wood together. While various other materials were used to construct the rooftop such as fern and branches, similarly held by the thick vines. A little after dusk, Dalis had finally finished his construction. 

"Not bad, not bad at all." Dalis could not help but compliment himself.

He subtly moved as though he was skipping around the cabin, admiring his finished product. Not even once did he touch his splendorous creation, after all, he was busy. The serene black eyes were sharp, mounted in his sockets, magnifying, and penetrating the naked cabin. Each layer of the design was scrutinised and examined without question. From his discovery, he found that there were actually several loose areas that did not appear to adequately affix of which, some parts revealed gaps that may become a point of concern. This was especially the case with the rooftop, which was no surprise, considering the variety of materials used unlike the logs. 

"Upon closer examination, there is much to be improved." He nodded to himself.

(On second thoughts, was it really necessary to build a lodging with the small number of days we have? Ah, forget it. This was a good experience in putting my learnt skills to work. It may even be amusing to see the reactions of others when they see my "residency".)

Dalis then gave a posh turn towards the Rhinearian Beetle. The Rhinearian Beetle seemed to jitter a little as if it had noticed the peculiar behaviour of its master.

"Rhinearian Beetle would you like to be the first to enter into my residency?" 

Dalis bowed and swayed his arms towards the cabin like a butler, serving the way.

The beast seemed to be confused and was ultimately unable to take its master's offer.

"Ah, that's right with that body size of yours, you wouldn't be able to fit in. It would be an iteration of the Three Little Pigs. That is not good. How unfortunate. Perhaps when I renovate it in the future, I should add adjustments to allow you to enter in."

The beast had been tamed to understand the general gist of its master's wishes. However, as of this moment, the beast was utterly confused. Dalis chuckled at his pet's reaction. 

"It is time to step foot into my lodging."

Dalis leisurely walked towards the cabin doorstep. Although there was no door, there were ferns, and other materials hung down the roof to create a doorway. 

Just as Dalis was about to take the first step in . . . 

AHHHHHHH

 

4