Chapter 20: Pre-Soldier Exam (7) Defence Mechanism
160 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Rustle* *Rustle* *Rustle*

The sudden intrusion of sound had triggered the alarm of the children. 

Dalis, without delay, raised an arm straight out to the side. 

"Maintain caution." 

Sienna and Elliot understood. They nodded in agreement and prepared to engage in combat with their unknown enemy. Dalis maintained his eye on the rustling bush and backed up towards Jessica. Although Dalis was focused on that particular bush, he was wary of the other beasts who have yet to make an appearance. If more beasts were to enter this "arena", then he would be forced to flee as soon as possible. 

*Thump*

A thick, brown, scruffy leg was revealed through the bush. 

"Get ready."

When everyone had thought the beast would reveal itself, it had quickly retracted its foot back into the bush. The bush rustled violently . . . no in fact, many of the other bushes surrounding them began to rustle. 

"What's going on . . . " 

"Are they coming?!"

"No . . . "

Aoaarr

Everyone turned their attention to the origin of the sound. When they had seen it, their faces contorted grimly. The Spliz, who was supposedly knocked out, had remained back onto its four feet. Its bleeding had stopped, but there were clear traces of dry green blood on its rough skin. Its mouth drooled with even more white oozing liquid. However, the problems escalated further as the back, which was covered in hollowed spines, was now also oozing white liquid within each of the countless holes. The beast was slightly trembling as its tail rose to match the shape of a scorpion tail, sting like! 

"Oh mama . . . "

"Not good!"

"Dalis! What do we do?!"

"Sienna! What is it doing?"

"Wait, you don't know?! How about you Elliot?"

"T-that is the Spliz's final defence mechanism! When the beast is threatened, it will profuse out oozing white liquid through its orifices across all directions. I heard its tail becomes similar to a scorpion. However, instead of injecting venom from its tail, it becomes an acute lethal spear! Right now, its a volcano that could erupt any minute. We have to leave!!"

"It seems like there are other beasts in our surroundings, we can't just flee! It's not that simple. Are we forced to retire? Aghh, but Jessica . . . "

"Elliot, I recall that you focus on artefacts suited to support. Do you have anything in your arsenal?"

"I don't . . . these artefacts are restricted and can only use the most basic abilities. The best I can do is to create a small shield around us if we huddle close. But to be able to take the full front of this attack . . . "

"Understood. Ready the spell! Sienna! Can you create a pit?" 

"It won't be as big as you hope for! But I should be able too . . . are you thinking of a bunker?" 

"With the time we have that's all we got!"

Dalis quick as a flash picked up Jessica's sword from nearby and attempted to slash the thread liquid which ingrained Jessica. He chose to not use the tri-section staff as he was worried that he would wound Jessica through his lack of skill. With careful precision, he cut the threads off one after another. Since it was an enchanted artefact, it was usable by anyone. Dalis was able to use its remarkable power to speedily cut it down. Eventually, the majority of the threads had been removed. All that remained were blotches of sticky liquid remains and her covered mouth that was yet to be removed.

"HAAAAAAAAAAA!!" Sienna began to smash the ground to create a sizeable hole.

*Crumble* *Crumble*

It seemed like Sienna had finished creating the hole.

(Seems like preparations are complete . . . I have to be careful here.)

Dalis meticulously used the sword as if he was carving a wooden doll to extract the final remains.

"Ah.. ah . . . *cough* *cough* ah . . . It's about time damn time! How long were you guys going to keep me waiting!" Jessica vehemently scowled.

"You can scold those two later, for now, follow me."

AOAAAARRRRRR

The great cry of the Spliz reached the eardrums of the children. Simultaneously, a slight trembling could be felt beneath the hard ground. When Jessica and Dalis looked, they could see ooze of artillery, erupting from its back, shooting out in all directions. 

"Hold this."

Dalis did not even take a second glance as he forcefully shoved the sword to Jessica, grabbed her by the other arm, and dived towards the bunker. He saw Elliot and Sienna peaking their heads out in no man's land.

"Sienna duck! Elliot do it!!"

WHISTLE WHISTLE WHISTLE WHISTLE

SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT

WHISTLE WHISTLE WHISTLE WHISTLE

SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT

WHISTLE WHISTLE WHISTLE

SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT

The barrage of ballistic sticky ooze continued. Unlike before, the ooze was like arrows as denting sounds can be heard from not only the barrier being attacked, in addition, the cries of beasts that were unlucky to be hit.

After a minute had passed . . . the barrage had ended. Only the moans and groans of injured beasts could be heard. Although there was one exception . . . 

"Haa . . . ha . . . ha . . . " 

Elliot's gasped deep breaths. He was drained from maintaining the barrier. Despite the area of effect damage, much of the "bullets" were concentrated on the children. Elliot for the entire one minute had protected his comrades. It was a splendid feat; an eye-opener for Dalis. Dalis felt goodwill towards Elliot's desperate resistance and believed he had redeemed himself. 

"Elliot!" 

The girls huddled him. Elliot was struggling to stand, but the girls kept his balance to prevent him from falling. 

"Sorry . . . looks like I will need to rest for a bit . . . "

"What do you mean sorry? You did damn good there!"

"Jessica is right! You were a man Elliot. A man!"

"Ha ha . . .I've longed for those words for a long time."

(These lines . . . )

However, their sweet moment could not go for much longer . . . the beast was approaching.  

"Damn beast! Can"t it rest for one moment?!"

"Elliot just rest here, we will take care of the rest."

"No."

That word did not come from Elliot's mouth. Instead, it was from Dalis.

"What the hell do you mean?" Jessica shouted.

"He has to retire. It's unfortunate, but he must."

"Screw off! We can just beat the hell out of this beast and escape!"

"Do you really think that?"

"You just beat its head in a few minutes ago! If we combine our strength I'm sure we can overcome it."

"Look around you."

Jessica and Sienna surveyed the area.

The beast approached slowly, each step it took it wheezed its mouth, dropping leaked ooze. However, if one were to look, they could see that the beast was preparing to build up more spit from its unsavoury mouth. 

The area was covered with liquid threads, resembling a jungle of vines or perhaps webs from an arachnid. To make matters worse, there were beasts around the area. Whether they were injured or not, these beasts certainly posed a danger. It was truly a sticky situation.

"Haa . . . Dalis is unfortunately correct. You will need to retire Elliot," Sienna reluctantly lamented. 

"Sienna . . . "

"Ah . . . Dalis is right. I will only be a burden if I were to stay."

"No don't say that Elliot!"

"I wish to retire."

In the blink of an eye, a divine shine spread across the perimeter of Elliot. It soon closed in, and in a flash, Elliot disappeared.

There were only three of them left.

"Damn it, damn it," Jessica vented. 

She gave an aggrieved look at Dalis, then turned her head towards the beast. Her face became even more twisted. 

"What's the plan . . . " Jessica unwillingly asked Dalis.

"We"re out of options to be honest: we have to fight."

"Gameplan?" Sienna inquired.

"I will be the main source of distraction. You two flank from the rear. Be wary of your surroundings. Once you get caught in the spider's den, it's over."

"Hmph, "spider's den". Sucks I can't refute that." 

The three split into action. 

Dalis held the lowest section of the tri-section staff and raised in the air with one arm. He began to steadily swing the staff around and around perpetually. Each round of swinging increased the momentum and striking power. Sienna, who looked behind her, saw the figure of the helicopter and Dalis. He wore a heavily concentrated face with his remaining eyes still as water. She couldn't help but be impressed.

(Dalis uses a bo staff . . .I've never seen him use a chained weapon . . . Ah! Come to think of it there was that period of time when we trained with ropes. He was pretty skilled there.)

Contrary to the thoughts of Sienna's mind . . . Dalis's mind was a completely different story.

(The hell is this? This is so damn HARD! If I lose my control for even a split second, I will definitely be hit by the recoil for sure. Keep your composure . . . keep your composure . . . )

Concurrent to his thoughts, he began to subconsciously mumble. 

"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like the chain. When the chain is spun, it becomes a typhoon. When the chain is swung, it becomes a mountain, when the chain is wielded, it becomes your weapon. Chains can flow, or they can lock—become the chain Dalis . . . "

Absolute nonsense was spout on the battlefield. In spite of this, none can contradict the effectiveness of this supposed chant, neither could anyone hear it in the first place. How would a listener respond to these profound words? That is the real question.

3