Chapter 24 Pre-Soldier Exam (11) On the Run! A Pack of Wolves!
134 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Huh . . . ?"

"This isn't good!"

"Damn it."

The party immediately regrouped.

"Those cries were from grey wolves! The situation is not good. Grey wolves tend to be solo hounds. However, that is a different story when confronted with an enemy it cannot conquer by itself. They will howl to attract their fellow wolves to group together and outnumber their foe." 

"But that damn dog was already at the end of its line. It must've been very thirsty for revenge."

"How many are wolves are usually in a pack?" Dalis inquired solemnly.

"The numbers tend to vary . . . but if we are unlucky, it could reach about fifteen . . . "

"Fifteen? That's five times the amount of people we have here!"

"Understood. Let's leave. Follow me."

Dalis gave a short wave of a hand to beckon the girls.

"You have a plan Dalis to get us out of here?"

"Not exactly, but I know we will be lambs for the slaughterhouse if we stay here. This glade is dangerous. It's too open fielded, allowing beasts to easily surround us. It would be a repeat of last time but worse. The Spliz's threads won't be of any aid either. Furthermore, It's quite dark now and will only get darker. The wolves eyesight are on par with humans, in actual fact, their night vision is superior. This is due to the abundance of rods [greyscale receptors] in their retina. Moreover their keen sense of smell . . . "

"So you don't know how many wolves are generally in a pack, but you know about all this other stuff?" Jessica chided. 

"I was interested in their night vision." 

Jessica was stupefied.

"Enough! The beasts will be here any minute! Dalis lead the way."

Dalis began running back into the veils of the dark forest, followed by Sienna and Jessica. 

"Be careful and watch your steps. There are many ingrained roots sticking out in this part of the forest."

The three hastily travelled through the forest. Dalis's guidance and warnings enabled them to proceed at a faster pace than they had anticipated. However, this was not sufficient. The barking and cries of the beasts had not once ceased and the distance between them was approaching closer each second. After all, their battle from earlier had been exhausting. They were not allowed to even have a moment of rest. 

"D-damn it? How can they be so fast!"

"They're natural hunters after all."

"Ahhh their bloody keen sense of smell! At this rate we will be screwed! Any ideas?"

"Sienna, are there any nearby lakes? Although I'm unsure, the wolves should be slower in chasing us down in the waters. Furthermore, we will be able to wash ourselves and remove this scent."

"Yes there was one . . . but with the direction you took, I have no idea where we are now."

" . . . "

"Well Dalis you have a place in mind right?"

"Yeah I do, it's my hideout . . . no residence."

???

Minutes passed . . . they were reaching their limit. Dalis's traversing speed had become considerably slower, Sienna seemed to be a little better off than Dalis, as for Jessica . . . 

"W-wait, s-stop you two."

The two stopped their breaks.

Jessica was resting the palms of her hands on her knees, sweating profusely and heavily gasping for air. She had reached her limit. 

"Jessica . . . If we don't hurry they're gonna reach us! Just a little longer . . . right Dalis?"

"Yeah we should be there in about ten minutes . . . "

"T-ten ten minutes?" Jessica's knees wobbled in response to that cruel statement. 

"Jessica . . . ten minutes will pass in a moment of fleet. Hang in there!"

"*Huff* *Huff* *Huff* okay . . . let's go!"

"Actually . . . I'm under the impression that we will be safe now." (From the wolves at least.)

"What do you mean Dalis?"

"Haven't you noticed in the past five minutes the cries of the beasts have gotten less and less?"

"Yeah now that you mention it . . . Wait I don't hear anything anymore."

"That's right. We have survived the game of cat and mouse. Well done you two."

Dalis expressed a warm, ample smile. Setting their sight on Dalis, their faces alleviated with delight.

"Yessss!!!" Jessica shrieked with happiness. Her legs had dropped to the floor. She was now sitting down with her legs spread out. It was cloud nine. Dalis questioned her unladylike gestures inwardly but then dismissed it. This was very Jessica like. That was charming in itself. Dalis liked it very much.

"Ooof, that was a close one." Unlike Jessica, Sienna took her time before resting herself to the ground. She maintained a vigilant outlook. It seemed she was still wary of her surroundings. As expected from Sienna.

Though Dalis did not sit down, he leaned his back against a tree a meter away from him. Sienna then spoke.

"On a serious note, why would the wolves suddenly stop their pursuit."

Hearing this, Jessica's face was replaced, worn with seriousness.

"Hmm . . . perhaps it's because The Monster . . ." may very well be close by?"

The faces’ of the girls became ghast. 

"Sorry Dalis, I must be exhausted from all that transpired today. Could you repeat that again for me?"

"Haha . . . yeah . . . come again Dalis?"

"Hmm . . . perhaps it's because The Monster . . . may very well be close by?"

Dalis used the exact same words as before. His nonchalant tone was tinged with mockery. It seemed he was subtly teasing them.

"WHAT!"

The two shouted in unison.

"Indeed, you heard correct. The monster is just around the corner or perhaps under your beds."

"Enough with the jokes. Dalis explain," Sienna reprimanded.

"Despite all the noise we are making, don't you find it strange that there is no sign of any life?"

"That is true . . . "

"Apart from us, it's oddly silent correct?"

"Yes . . . "

"Yeah . . . "

The girls took a closer look into their surroundings. The terrain was the same as ever. A lush forest filled with shrubs, vines, trees, etc. Nothing was particularly out of the ordinary except the list of things that Dalis had mentioned. Though, there was a small hill reaching about six metres tall behind them.

"A hill in a place like this . . . "

"Well it can happen right . . . right?"

"Yeah but . . . the Maizan forest is mostly flat land . . . "

"Shall I go investigate? I volunteer to be a tribute!" Dalis vehemently spoke.

"Your attitude in a situation like this Dalis . . . "

"My attitude?" 

Dalis pondered . . . indeed, he was taking it lightly. The monster could be right behind that hill for all he knew. Or at least something that was on a similar degree of threat. 

Yet, he was composed for the most part . . . and he was enjoying the thrill. 

Was Dalis perhaps having fun?

(Fun?)

"Dalis?"

Dalis was snapped out of his thoughts. 

"What is it?"

"Are you planning to go check the surroundings?"

"Yes. You and Sienna stay here. I won't be long."

"No I'm going to."

"You mean, we are both going."

Jessica and Sienna stood up and were determined to not let Dalis survey the area alone. If Dalis were to encounter the beast, then they would be filled with regret for not tagging along.

Dalis thought for a moment. Honestly speaking, he would fare much better alone as he was an expert of using dusk to his advantage. However, he didn't want to reject their goodwill.

"How about this, we camp here for tonight. We have barely rested. If we venture now, we will be pushing ourselves. Let's investigate first thing tomorrow morning."

After those words, the faces of the girls were filled with relief. They were on board with the plan. 

"Oh but this place is dangerous isn't it? Shouldn"t we find another spot?" Jessica asked, realising this important detail.

"No Dalis's choice is actually spot on. After all, the most dangerous place is usually the most safe."

The three set up camp. A small campfire was lit, and they exchanged words. Luckily for Dalis, the girls had an exceptionally crafted bag. It had been obtained through trading with other candidates. Within that bag, they had carried some remains of beast meat that could be used as a source of nourishment. 

After surviving all those hardships, the beast meat was especially savouring. It was as if they were eating a high-class cuisine. Their mouths could not stop for even a moment. Particularly, Dalis's eyes were all stars. Finally . . . he had passed the calepufer famine. As he was eating, a thought rose to his mind. He wondered how fried calepufer herbs would taste like? Knowing that he had to take a bite to test his theory, he obliterated that thought in an instant.  

All went well until dinner was over. It was much too late to create an actual shelter. They were also reluctant to dig a room shaped hole to sleep in. Sleeping in the tree wasn't favoured and forming a hole from the hill was out of the question. If the other side of the hill was actually a cave with a beast residing in it, it would be an invitation to death. 

Thus . . . 

(How the hell did I get in this situation?) 

Dalis was laid on his back. Sienna was to his left and Jessica was to his right. Unsurprisingly, they were laid on their backs snuggling reasonably close to Dalis. 

3