Chapter 30: Pre-Soldier Exam (17) Gameplan to face The Monster
109 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The four candidates evacuated the area. While they were somewhat slow-going due to Stilla's physical condition, it seemed that luck was on their side as The Monster had not pursued after them. Nonetheless, on their way to Dalis's shelter, the howls of the evolved hound could be heard no matter how much they travelled. After all, Dalis's "residence" was not too far from the beast's sleeping den. They were worried about the proximity of his "home", but Dalis reassured them it was all right. He stated that he had a hidden card that he had yet to play back at his "residence". Although they were sceptical, they had their faith in Dalis. 

Along the way, the team managed to spot a bunch of candidates that were attracted by the ongoing uproar. Dalis and his allies were kind enough to provide warnings that The Monster was there throwing a tantrum. Most of them took their caution to heart. However, it was inevitable to meet a few reckless participants who dared challenge the beast. They were not deterred in spite of being warned by the organisers. Though Sienna and Stilla desired to rebuke them, Dalis and Melvin were not bothered. Dalis told them to not bother with them as we had no right to talk. After all, they were the same: reckless and conceited to believe they can face it. Dalis's party had suffered a great loss. It was only after the result they came to understand the harsh reality, or at least acknowledge the disparity. They were young after all. Who could blame them?

Eventually, the party arrived at Dalis's residence. 

"Woaah Dalis you made that yourself? That Cabin looks a little stylish for something that is supposed to be used as a temporary shelter," Stilla awed in amazement.

"Yeah you're so right . . . you really put in quite a bit of effort there didn't you Dalis?" Sienna commented. She was also quite astounded.

"It seems that barbarians also have a diminutive sense of design. Perhaps you should consider applying to be a craftsman?" Melvin chided though strangely impressed.

"Thanks for the praise. It's my current magnum opus," Dalis replied after listening to the positive feedback. However, he was unable to appreciate it to the fullest as something else was unsettling in his mind. Where was the Rhinearian beetle? Was it fed up with him, the master, and had taken the opportunity to leave? How long was it able to obey the orders before departing? 

Dalis was a little bitter and upset. Be that as it may, he concealed this to not let his companions worry. He knew deep inside that his taming skills were not perfect. If he was a little better, then perhaps the domesticated animal would not leave him. Yep, it was definitely due to his lack of skill and not because of his domesticating techniques.

After a few exchanges of words, the group decided to prepare for the upcoming evening. Stilla was persuaded by the others to stand by and rest. She reluctantly took the offer though was stubborn and came to aid after an hour or so. They worked together to gather aliments and assembled a couple of adjustments to the cabin for it to be suitable to house all of them. The previous cabin was only sufficient to accommodate about two people. Dalis seemed to be abnormally offended in the process, albeit he put up with it. By the time the new settlement was complete, dusk had arrived. They prepared their campfire and began to discuss their plan for tomorrow.

"So are we really planning to have a rematch with The Monster?" Sienna asked solemnly.

"That's right Sienna. Our group tends to be quite competitive and unwilling to give in. Even if it's The Monster, we will make sure to at least fight until we are satisfied. We may be stubborn, but with the four of us we can surely beat it down! Yeah!" Stilla saluted in agreement, raising a fist in the air. 

"Indeed. That old dog and I have yet to settle our debt. I'm not content to concede defeat without another attempt. Besides . . . " Melvin furtively snuck a glance at Stilla.

"Besides?" Sienna questioned.

"It is nothing."

"Shall we now start devising tomorrow's operation?" Dalis uttered.

The three looked towards Dalis, Stilla nodded, and the rest seemed to indicate their approval. Sienna was the first to speak her thoughts.

"Killing the beast may be easier than we think. Due to today's ruckus, there are a large number of candidates that have been attracted by the noise. If we get lucky, the beast may be already close to its death bed. Though looking back at it . . . it is probably unlikely. In any case the beast probably hasn't had enough time to recover."

"Correct. We can swoop in for a quick kill steal. The others would have no choice but to concede the rewards to us. Furthermore, they would be exhaus—"

"DALIS!!" Sienna shouted with displeasure, interrupting him.

"I was kidding."

Stilla stared at Dalis with suspicion.

"I'm not as unscrupulous to not share the rewards. I will make sure to adhere to the law of equivalent exchange."

"Better," Stilla replied. She seemed vaguely confused but was satisfied.

Surprisingly, Melvin had not invaded in the conversation to criticise Dalis's unjust scheme. Sienna was partially confounded. While Dalis had some thoughts in mind that may be the answer to this, he did not speak those ideas.

"Should we work together with the candidates if they're present?" Sienna inquired.

"If it is necessary. Otherwise, it is preferable to put that cur back to its standing ourselves. The organisers are overseeing the exam. It is to our best interest to exhibit our capabilities. However, as future Vanquishers, it may be more beneficial to demonstrate our teamwork as a group. Nevertheless, we happen to be in a group of four. Thus, I propose we remain with our regular group," Melvin explained in a smart manner.

"Sounds good. What do you think Dalis?"

"It aligns with my thoughts," Dalis affirmed somewhat regrettably. His attitude expressed his wish to not be associated with Melvin.

"Okay so we decided to stick together. Now it's time to talk about our roles right?" Stilla cheerfully said. 

"Correct, but there is something else we require to address first."

"Hm? What could that be?" Stilla tilted her head.

"How are your injuries?"

"I'm a-okay!"

"You seem to have the energy, however, what about your injuries?"

Stilla abruptly hardened in place. Though she hastily covered the truth.

"I'm fine!"

"Lies."

"N-no I'm not."

"Why did you stutter?"

"W-who stuttered?"

She really sucked at lying. It was very Stilla-like. Dalis believed that this was a good thing.

"Sienna and Melvin go check her condition."

"W-wait wait. Sorry I lied. >_< I'm still wounded." 

"How adverse are the injuries? Perhaps we may really need to acquire medical attention," Melvin asked with concern.

"It's fine it's fine! As long as I eat up this meat and rest all night for tomorrow, I will be good as new!" Stilla confidently declared as she munched eagerly at her food as if to indicate—I'm healthy and full of energy! Look!

"Dalis, your thoughts?" Sienna sought his advice.

" . . . "

Dalis did not utter anything but simply nodded his head. He was a little reluctant, but her assistance was necessary, and there was no preventing Stilla. In addition, Dalis had concluded that Stilla would likely be able to participate adequately tomorrow. If this was not so, Dalis would certainly not let her join.

"The tail . . . " Melvin mumbled. Though he said it under his breath, all of them had heard it.

"That tail that looks like a porcupine and is quite the plume. What about it Melvin?" Stilla asked innocently.

"Yeah we need to conceive a countermeasure with that dangerous tail. Although I had never seen it been utilised clearly, it used its tail to spring about right?" Sienna commented.

"Oh yeah I remember it used its tail to fling around. That's how it caught up to Melvin so fast even with his spells," Stilla mentioned.

" . . . "

" . . . "

" . . . "

The air became to a certain degree . . . awkward. After all, that was what caused Stilla to be severely injured and almost fainting from the battle.

Melvin hurriedly spoke to dispel this unwelcome atmosphere.

"Y-yes that had occurred . . . yes indeed. It would be burdensome considering that the tail is not a threat we could effortlessly establish measures for. The foremost we could do is avoid it. However, we would be unable to prevent it from frolicking around. Unless we cleave it . . . which is not realistically in our favours."

"Right . . . with all those trees . . . " Sienna pronounced  

"Then we simply need to take the trees out of the picture, correct?" Dalis's voice resounded.

"Eh? How do—wait a second . . . I got it!" Stilla shouted, filled with cognisance.

"A place without trees . . . " Sienna murmured 

"A change of location . . . Yes, if I recall correctly, there was an environment that could be suited for our conditions. Indeed that place would be most ideal," Melvin slowly spoke.

(To think I was unable to conceive such an unadorned solution. How distasteful.) 

"Ah wait . . . But there's a lot of water there and some trees. Would that be alright?" Stilla worryingly asked.

"That is fine Stilla. In fact, it would become the pivotal factor for my checkmate." Melvin smirked with glee. 

(Water?) Dalis glanced to Melvin. Although there was no location that he knew of. It seemed that was not the case for Melvin and Stilla. Despite this, Dalis had understood some part of Melvin's ploy. 

"It seems we can now draft an effective stratagem," Dalis uttered in a bad-ass tone. 

2