Chapter 32: Pre-Soldier Exam (19) Alexia Mae and Hayate: Arrogant Geniuses Part 2
111 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time the beast was about thirty-five meters away from clobbering Alexia, the boy, who had yet to make a move, had sprung into action. 

"Hidden Technique: Gasify!"

The corporeal Hayate faintly glowed somewhat white, similar to the appearance of a hazy mist. It looked as if he was undergoing sublimation, but he was not. In reality, the mana seemed to congeal, and his layered white hands turned into gas! It looked eerie! His arms glowed white, while his hands appeared to be smog. That was not all . . . his feet could be seen levitating a few centimetres off the ground! 

He ran like the wind. Or rather, it should be said he was a whirling wind, outspeeding the beast and arriving right beside Alexia. With a series of swooshed arms, wind could be seen coating air inside the water jets, augmenting the power of the water cannon. Also, it acted as a tailwind blowing the water forward with greater velocity!

The beast growled as it started to feel the damage from the sheer force of the combined attack. Its movements had drastically reduced, cutting its speed by fifty per cent. However, this had only served to enrage the beast and provoke it to push onwards with its relentless assault. 

Noticing that the beast was even more ferocious than before, Alexia simply smirked with pleasure while Hayate continued to effuse the presence of being relatively calm. The two continued with their hand movements, refusing to back down from this tug of war. Their arrogance was shocking. Nonetheless, Hayate was actually panicking inwardly which only grew by the second, as the beast unsparingly charged onwards, unhindered.

"That candidate . . . Hayate was it? He is a swamp user correct? Their primary arts are focused on utilising free mana. He is not touching the water . . . How is this person controlling his mana out of his body like that? I presumed it was gas, but that can be seen as wind in the currents of the water," Dalis inquired inquisitively.

"No you are right. He is using gas, it is just not visible to the naked eye. Besides his initial start-up phase, including his ghostly hands, it is said he uses a scant amount of his mana to connect the concealed gas to his wind force. It is quite common for many powerful experts to use tricks like this as it could even evoke the illusion that they're using movement mana from Feeria. I'm surprised that you didn't know this Dalis." Sienna answered his question soberly.

"Oh? I did know, actually. However, it didn't cross my mind. It is rare to see a swamp user like Koji, and it was unexpected that this guy is on this level."

"That is true. After all he is a special one. Learning gas manipulation is said to be more difficult than solidifying or liquefication since it also greatly involves understanding how the natural mana and the air works. Furthermore, Hayate is quite special as he can manipulate the gas to form wind-like currents." Sienna nodded.

"Quite capable . . . but at this rate they would be unable to hold on much longer," Dalis spoke aloof.

Before Stilla could butt in and unleash her bottled tempest, Melvin stuck up his chin and opened his mouth.

"Shall we aid those spoiled children?" 

 

***

 

When the beast had arrived about fifteen meters away, finally, Alexia started to sweat. If this was dragged for any longer, the accumulated puddle of sweat that sprinkled downwards was not the only thing that would fall. Hayate was quick on the uptake and swooshed away like the wind, leaving her behind. 

"Bastard!"

Alexia cursed him, and her water cannons churned, protruding to the utmost of her abilities, bombarding upwards to the beast's eyes. Blinded by the ongoing stream of water, The Monster growled even louder than before.

"Ughh"

Alexia groaned and was going pale, but she had to keep this up. If she was to just utter a few words, escape was likely. However, her pride refused to succumb to defeat from the beast.

A few seconds before impact, she threw herself to the side, falling to the floor. Just in time to dodge the incoming smash. Screeching sounds can be heard as the beast slid the ground and was stopped in his tracks after realising its failed attack. 

AROo ROOF

Despite failing to crush its target, The Monster howled with delight and began to bound towards her. After all, she was now easy prey. 

Now there was no escape! 

Although that was the plan of the evolved wolf, it was hampered by somebody. It was the other prey! Hayate capitalised his advantage with speed and his small body, relative to the beast, to maneuver around and deliver blistering blows to the beast. It seemed so easy that he didn't seem to look as if he broke a sweat. He utilised his now fully gassed arms into sharp wind blades that delivered deadly slicing cuts to the beast. If he didn't exert himself this much, then he would be unable to prevent Alexia from being trampled. 

Alexia, panting and catching her breath, on the flat ground watched Hayate save her. She felt quite gratified, but then remembered that he literally abandoned her a moment ago and this goodwill diminished. She thought to herself, at least give her a heads up! 

Alexia tried to stand up. However, after exhausting all her strength as well as her mana she was deadbeat. In spite of this, Alexia pushed herself to stand since she was vulnerable and still in danger. The moment Hayate slips or is unable to prolong his attacks, The Monster would most likely aim to mince her to pieces. If it was not for the beast being disdained to kill her fallen comrades, they would probably be dead or forced to retire. 

It seemed the evolved wolf was much more interested in killing herself and Hayate. This was because of their previous jeers in the past half hour. Yet, she did not regret having taunted the beast. Showing her superiority was nature to her, and to flaunt herself around her people was her cup of tea. That was Alexia Mae in a nutshell.

If she did not do this, she would not be herself. Nor, the “great” mistress of the Mae Family, Alexia Mae. 

Gripping the ruined hard floor, she bent her arms to try to propel herself up. It was at this moment, a shadow loomed over her. She struggled to turn her head to see what lurked behind her. If it was a beast, then there was no other option but to grit her teeth and retire. Hoping in her heart it was a neutral entity, Alexia managed to rotate her fallen body. As she laid on her back, a figure appeared before her eyes. Her brows turned in as she grit her teeth detested.

It was freaking Melvin. 

Worst of all, he had his chin stuck up, back straight, and his hands clasped behind his back as if he was some expert. Many Feeria experts exhibit this practice to signify that they were 'superior" to their opponent or people around them; it was an infamous bearing of Feeria. It should be known that Alexia was one of the few people that unexpectedly did not undertake this common profound art despite her “superior" status. 

This drew her mad!

But then she squinted her weak eyes and noticed something else. 

She took everything back. 

That was not the worst of all.

What incensed her the most was that Melvin was not even bothering to spare a single glance. Yet, he coincidently walked by her side as if he wasn't aware of her existence—she was thin air. 

No, he probably viewed her as another insect; to the level of an ant.

"Y-You ," Alexia stammered. Besides being filled by anger, she was also filled with disbelief. Is he really ignoring a beautiful girl like her? Not to mention she was bloody injured! She was also an important mistress in The Great Feeria City! They were both Feerias! Aside from their families, she understood that there were past grievances and conflicts between her and him. But did he really have to go this far?

Melvin seemed to have not heard anything as he continued to stare at the events unfolding as of this moment. He concentrated, watching carefully to await the moment for his turn to arrive in the plan. 

To Alexia, it appeared he was completely ignoring her, which he was, giving the impression of a cold shoulder. She felt so indignant that her next words sounded hoarse and painful.

"Melvin p-please don't ignore meeee . . ." 

Those words were like pleasant like the Autumn winds to Melvin's ears. He softly hummed to himself and pretended not to notice. Only after a minute did he decide to take a good look at Alexia's succumbing: he glanced his eyes downwards towards her. He was expecting to relish in her countenance by indulging himself further in his schadenfreude, but when he saw Alexia . . . he trembled. 

Alexia was the same as he predicted. She was in an unwell condition; hair dishevelled, clothes dirtied, torn, and her beauty soiled. This was exactly what he desired to see. Payback for one of his misfortunes with her in the past. 

The mistress of the Mae Clan transformed into a peasant. 

The painting was perfectly illustrated, except for the face . . . 

When their eyes met, the stored tears began to flow down her cheeks, burning her eyes, and her lower lip trembled. Sobs wracked her body, robbing it of the ability to speak, and all she did was cry. Although the cries of indignation were not loud, they were utterly adequate to make any man heart-stricken with pain. Especially considering she was one of the most young beauties of Feeria. 

Never would he have conceived that Alexia Mae out of all people would be ever left in this state. He had heard stories that this mistress has had been involved with some things to be lead shed with tears. But, he dismissed them as ludicrous rumours. When he recalled his time with her, whether it was in Feeria or Caleyar Orphanage, . . . Alexia weeping tears was entirely absurd and unimaginable.

However, he was forced to face reality.

Alexia Mae was not only reduced to a peasant, but she was also raining teardrops.

Awkwardly, Melvin removed his clasped hands from behind. He also lowered his chin and stuck up back. After that, he clumsily moved towards her and briefly bent down his knees to speak to her . . . 

3