Chapter 33: Pre-Soldier Exam (20) The Monster on his tail
100 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A-ahem . . . Alexia Mae, mistress of the Mae Family and daughter of Harold the Water Elemental Master, are you anticipating myself to have compassion for your forlorn predicament. Hmph. Naive juvenile I—"

"BASTARD WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!"

Melvin palpitated. 

He felt his mind go blank and emotions swelled and rose up within him. 

It was as though the gods were striking Melvin with lightning, punishing him for his shameful conduct and profanity that was not related to swears or curses. 

Instead, it was for his disgraceful behaviour for callously tyrannising an innocent young girl. 

It is true that she is arrogant, haughty and is a headache for many. However, at the end of the day . . . she did not deserve such treatment at all to be "punished" to this extent. It was clear as day for anybody that the girl in front of Melvin right now was not the arrogant and haughty mistress, she was just a normal girl.

(I am disgusted with myself.) Melvin shook his head, absolutely ashamed for his actions.

If Dalis had seen this and heard those words coming from Melvin's mouth, he would be utterly disappointed with him. In fact, he would likely be very pissed off. He many even deliver a wake-up kick or punch to the gut. If it was Stilla . . . he would be considered to be lucky if he were to be alive the next day.

Somewhat clumsily, he subconsciously moved to his pocket. Scavenging his pocket, he found nothing. His plan to wipe her tears away had gone to dust. 

(Curses, I had forsaken it back at the Orphanage since there was a risk of it being confiscated. A meer pack of tissues has impeded me? Fuck!)

Melvin was eminently troubled with his situation. He was similar to Dalis of being “somewhat” of a loner. He had little experience with these things due to his lack of communication with others. However, if it was Dalis, he was certain that he would understand what to do. Once again, he compared himself to that insect, and his mood went even further sour. It was not the time for this. Melvin decided to not utilise his intellectual wits and instead, just go with the flow speaking whatever comes to mind.

"Alexia Mae, you and I have feuded in the past, and I dislike you."

(What the hell is this bastard spouting?) 

"However, I acknowledge that my actions have gone too far and though I loathe to even consider reconciling with you, right now as of this moment, I shall apologise for my insolent behaviour."

Melvin bowed deeply towards Alexia. If she was standing, then what she saw would not be able to be observed by her eye. Alexia shockingly saw Melvin's express an apologetic countenance, along with a deep sense of regret. 

This bastard was sincerely looking back on his actions.

While this may mark an unbelievable recording in history . . . it was still not sufficient.

"Y-you think this is enough?! Bastard!" Alexia complained with her eyes still filled with tears, sniffing occasionally. It was notable that Alexia had evidently somewhat calmed down. However, she was still vexed and in sorrow. 

" . . . H-How should I compensate you?"

"Don't know! Figure it out yourself!"

" . . . "

(I suppose I owe her a favour then . . . )

Melvin was at a wall. He really had no idea what to do. Due to Alexia, he was unable to proceed with the plan. Melvin's initial role was to beckon and taunt the beast to lure it to a particular location. After all, he was the perfect bait. However, he had patently complained about it, which lead to him being the one to prevent any mishaps or mitigate any unforeseen variables. This especially became relevant when the party had come across Alexia and Hayate. Knowing them, they were bound to cause trouble. 

Although he seemed to have a minor role, that was irrefutably untrue. 

In the subsequent upcoming task, he was the key figure. 

"Melvin hurry up!" A desperate hurried outcry was heard in the distance. It was from Sienna.

Melvin looked towards the direction of the voice and then looked back towards Alexia. He gritted his teeth and shouted.

"Stall for me!"

(To think I would become lodged here to treat a distasteful fledgling.)

 

***

 

"Ha . . . ha . . . ha . . . "

Dalis was on the run, puffing at a moderate pace as he was pursued by The Monster two hundred meters away from him. His tri-section staff was closed in and strapped behind his back. It had already been about thirty minutes. He was considerably resilient overall and was able to not lose his breath. Compared to the average male adult, he had a little more strength and speed relatively. The speed was commensurate to Stilla if her speed was about fifty per cent. That was the gap between a body consolidator and a solid non-practitioner. While other practitioners fell short against body consolidators in physical prowess, they often had means to maintain on their level. Despite all of this exposition, Dalis was, in fact, more flexible than Stilla and outclasses her in agileness. Unfortunately, he was up against The Monster. Even with his athletic maneuvers and speedy leaps . . . he was unable to distance the gap at all. It was primarily because of the beast's physiology. Conversely, if this continues, by the next ten minutes or so the gap would close! Was The Monster playing with him?

Stilla was about a hundred meters off to the left side, maintaining the pace with him. She seemed completely in shape, which was no surprise, but Dalis knew that she was definitely not in top condition. He regretted not dismissing her earlier at the rendezvous. 

Her role was to be the runner up back up, in case he was unable to proceed onwards. 

(Should"ve made Sienna do it . . . but that girl keeps on insisting . . . Sigh.)

"Dalis!" Sienna could be heard, scant on his right. She was quite far in the distance with respect to Dalis. This was much more for Stilla. 

"Manage to shrug him off?!"

"Yeah! But it looks like we have to buy time for Melvin to catch up!"

"How much time?"

"Don't know! Hopefully not long!"

(Not good. It would mean the plan would need to be altered a bit. If he fails to come within five minutes of the forthcoming battle, then we may be somewhat in a pickle.) Dalis begrudgingly thought.

Fifteen minutes later . . . 

"Dalis! Switch with me! Don't push yourself! Don't worry about me!" 

Dalis ignored the continued calls of Stilla and pressed on. His puffs had become more rapid, and he was huffing as well. He had planned to let Stilla take over, but his stubbornness and care for Stilla had hampered him. The beast was now just fifty meters behind him! Dalis was thrusting his arms back and forth as sweat dribbled down his face. His whole body was practically soaked with perspiration, and his speeded-up heartbeat was accelerating by the second! Dalis felt as if he was a ticking time bomb due to the exhilaration of everything.  

(IT"S BEEN BLOODY FIFTEEN MINUTES WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU MELVIN?!!) Dalis felt as if he was about to lose his marbles. He cursed inwardly in his mind. Though they had not reached their destination, without Melvin he was absolutely positive that the plan was now thrown to the shredders.

"Daaliisss!!"

"A little longer! We"re almost there!" Dalis exclaimed with a ragged shout in response.

Two minutes . . . 

One minute . . . 

Up ahead a clearing could be seen. In the middle, a sizeable pond glistened as small beast critters, and other animals swam in peace. However, it was not long before the denizens had sensed the hard tramples of what seemed to be a stampede and scattered away.  

(It's right there!)

Dalis's eyes gleamed with delight, but before he could revel much longer, The Monster extended its neck and lunged a ferocious bite towards Dalis. Noticing the sudden lengthened shadow by the skin of his teeth, he hastily dodged to the side. Due to his weakened state, he was unable to maintain his momentum to evade the next strike. He was forced to use a nearby tree branch to accelerate himself closer to the pond! Gripping his hands deep into the wooden branch, he hauled himself with his utmost strength, upwards in mid-air! 

"Hnghhh"

The forest clearing stirred, as a young teenage boy emerged from the depths of the forest, accompanied by the snarl of a wild vicious beast. 

SPLASH

SSSSSPPPPPPLLAAAAAAASSSSSHHH

Billows of water spontaneously spouted from the lake's surface, dispelling the calm waters and transforming them into raging waves. As the shining sun radiated its light onto the surface, it appeared to accentuate the sparkles of the glistening sea, sprinkling the water with a magical drizzle. However, there was something else stark in view, the focal point. Half of the bodied water showed in full view a savage beast, breathing deeply within its jaws and glaring at the water's surface. 

Meanwhile . . . beneath the waters of the lake was the shark's prey; a four-limbed fish. It was Dalis. 

He had made sure to take in a deep breath before diving into the pond. Thankfully this pond was as he had estimated before, suitable to constrict the evolved wolf's movements. Though that was not the main use of this water with regards to the plan.

Dalis hovered his head side to side. He could see a few water animals and beasts here and there, but they had notably distanced themselves away from him. After all, just a couple of meters in front of him was The Monster. It was quite the marvellous spectacle to see. Dalis's line of sight took in the powerful grey thick legs which spread apart from the beast's abdomen. 

"Urgghh."

While he was in his train of thought for his next course of actions. He suddenly gargled. Struck with an upheaval of exhaustion, superimposed with a lack of oxygen, his body began to collapse.

(Not . . . good . . . )

1