Chapter 41: Pre-Soldier Exam (28) Haven’t you wondered why our birthplace is named Feeria?
112 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stilla was handed over to one of the medics after a brief examination. They were told that Stilla would be in a coma for a couple of days. The group was worried but was assured that she had only overexerted herself, so she was soon to recover. This piece of good news rested their anxious minds and hearts.

The body was then carried off by the dispatched unit. Although the body was, to a great extent, a shell of its former self, it was still valuable. Evolved beasts were rare and are usually only inhabited within the most dangerous locations of the Pedlar Continent. This evolved wolf was an arbitrary exception.

Dalis, Melvin, and even Sienna complained that they deserved to have a fair share of the beast as they were responsible for slaying it. However, they were refused. It is important to remember that many candidates had participated in the downfall of the beast. Even if one was unable to even leave a scratch, the very fact they had assisted in wearing down the beast is considered as a contribution. 

Fortunately, one particular woman from the dispatched unit appeared to empathise with their discontent and attempted to aid them. She contacted the organisers and managed to provide a reasonable concession for them. The trio was satisfied and expressed their thanks. 

"There's no need to thank me. I just empathised with how you guys felt. That is all."

(Weird. I have the feeling that her smile is centred towards me? Am I acquainted with her?) Dalis mused with complexion written on his face.

Thus, the cult was disbanded, and the ordeal with the wolf had been resolved. Many candidates left the area and sought to scavenge more points just before the approach of dusk.

Though, there were quite a considerable number of participants that inquired about the specifics of what had occurred with the evolved wolf. They wanted to know the answers to the questions that have been running in their minds the entire time. 

Was that really the so-called The Monster the organisers harshly warned about? 

How did you guys get so bloody?

If it really was The Monster, then how did you manage to kill such a powerful beast?

The candidates did not have the opportunity to ask these before. After all, the group was immersed in their absorption of the wolf, and the oppressive ominous atmosphere made it very difficult for anybody to approach. Moreover, they were practically clad in blood! 

Melvin concealed his overweening attitude and please. He exuded his disdain for such a "trivial" matter and spoke a few words of what had occurred. In his short words, he was very ambiguous, intentionally leaving out the details of the most intriguing parts and making it seem so vague, yet somewhat cryptic. 

This incited their curiosity, forcing them to elicit a response from the group. Sienna was stopped by Melvin before she could clarify for them. When a couple of them turned to Dalis, he just gave them a look that said: "There is somebody readily here to tell you about it. Why not ask him?" Dalis was not inclined to speak as he had other thoughts in mind. Most importantly, he couldn't be bothered.

Thus, everyone had no choice but to obtain answers from . . . Melvin. Although he maintained his posturing of "what a drag," he explained with great detail of the transpired events to the point he was over-elaborate and ostentatious. There were many exaggerated lines and some bullshit here and there. Yet, he was so profound that it all seemed believable.

However, his bragging and swaggering were at threat as Sienna had reached her limits with him. Furthermore, the silent Alexia, who had been remaining low key up till now, had teamed up with Sienna to thwart him.

"Melvin, the only thing you did was cast a shield spell to save Stilla. There really wasn't much else you did . . . "  Sienna affirmed bitterly.

"You bastard Melvin. What do you mean you were the "pivotal factor for the beast's demise"? You and freaking Hayate were throwing spells at each other to see who was more "qualified" to take on The Monster, and the "unqualified" would stay and watch over me. Am I a runner-up prize?" Alexia fumed, glaring at Melvin with burning anger filled in her eyes. 

"What?! So all of that boasting of how he tricked the monster into triggering a magical circle was a lie? What "family hidden technique"? What "lightning that could give ancient beasts a run for their money"?" a female Orphan cried.

"I knew this guy was exaggerating things. But to think he took it that far . . . how can somebody be so shamelessly arrogant?" The Swamp boy was left astounded. 

"You must be looking down on us on the inside eh? Damn snob. You may be from Feeria, but you don't have an ounce of shame. Other Feeria citizens are not as unscrupulous as you are!" a bulky male criticised. 

"What did you say Gigan muscle head? You are comparing an embarrassment low-born like him to us? Tsk tsk tsk. We Feerias don't need to lie. Our strength is apparent to all eyes of heaven and Caleyar. We have the right to be arrogant. He is just an exception."

"That's right. We only need to wave a hand, and you would understand our power. There is no need for us to flex our muscles as a display of strength. So barbaric, so distasteful."

"Kid, all you Feerias can do are a bunch of magic tricks and flashy moves. One fist is enough to knock your face back into place," the bulky male retorted.  

"As expected from those inferiors, they don't understand anything and talk with their fists. Even at the most basic level of communication their eyes and ears are blind."

When that sentence was dropped, the world became silent. Even the sound of a pin being dropped could be heard.

"By "inferiors" are you including us?" a boy asked with coldness in his eyes. This boy of Zetral ethnicity was named Benito Carter.

"Of course. Haven’t you wondered why our birthplace is named Feeria? It's so when bumpkins like you enter our high mountains, you will truly know the meaning of being “in-feeria” [inferior]" Clasping his hands behind his backs, he nodded to Benito. Not even a glance was given to the rest of the “inferiors”. 

The seething resentment within the crowd had finally reached a boiling point.

"What gall!! You Feerias are future Vanquish soldiers of the Church, yet you act so impudent and lofty! My fellow future comrades of non-Feeria. Let us band together and discipline these snobbish fools and teach them how one should conduct themselves under the bannered allies," Benito orated. Solemn justice vibed behind his words. 

"I Li Jun, concur! My swamp friends, let us join hands under the united banner to punish and teach these snobs their place! Exhibit the mystifying techniques of our land—The Swamp of Hidden Arts!"

"Whether you are Gigan or not, there is no difference between us. Anybody who feels that these Feerias need some proper smacking, follow our lead!" Raghav Babu rallied the rest.

The candidates that were supposed to be competing with one another had suddenly become integrated. What Pre-Soldier Exam? These men and women had a duty to fulfil. Although a little less than half of them have originated from different backgrounds, they had their dignity and pride in being future Vanquishers. They were not gonna let these ungrateful sinners disdain their loyalty. 

This was more so for the genuine orphans who have been picked up. Many of them are very faithful to the Church and would not tolerate disrespect directed to their saviours. In fact, they're considered as family. They're essentially ridiculing their own mothers, fathers, sisters, and brothers. It was for certain that their vexation was even more heartfelt than the internship boarding students. 

Soon each and every non-Feeria, with the exception of Dalis and Sienna, had surrounded the Feerian candidates. The organisers and overseers watched without batting an eye. They seemed to have no plans with interfering with the mob. A minute ago they had been contacted by a member of the dispatched unit who had explained how the Feerias had humiliated them. 

Making the comparison between a Feeria and a non-Feeria as a "Feeria" and "inferior" was considered a tacit taboo. Historically throughout the Pedlar Continent, if a Feeria dared to utter such a comment, they would be heavily reviled by the masses. They were at the mercy of being attacked or even be killed sometimes for such a comment. 

It was due to this that the Feeria authorities of two hundred years ago were forced to issue a grave decree. If one were to utter such a comment, then it will be your responsibility, and nobody will defend you. 

Despite this decree, many powerful individuals continued to whisper this comment in secret. In fact, the infamous bearing of Feeria endows this notion through sheer physical mannerisms, and this has been perpetually passed down in every generation. After all, it was by all means not against the law in any of the nations. Mocking remarks using the word “inferior” was just considered immeasurably intolerable to the degree that could stretch capital punishment.  

 

3