Chapter 47: The reward! No more Pre-Soldier Exam! For Real!
101 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The children had arrived at the Resource Chamber.

The Resource Chamber was, essentially, a large storage building where the Missionary Church of Vanquish stored their resources. Though it did not hold everything, the vast majority of assets were stored here. Resources included things such as beast materials, weaponry, and other miscellaneous supplies. Each of these were agglomerated and then categorised into several rooms, of which were further sectioned into compartments.

They were all stored in a variety of ways depending on convenience, importance, type, and several other factors. For example, some were neatly boxed and shelved, while other objects may be in locked display cases. It was very organised and could not be simply called a storehouse or a warehouse. Half of the items stored were even documented and regularly maintained. 

It may be a little surprising as there is a lack of guards within the chamber, but that is offset by the several security formations layered throughout the building. In the history of the Church of Vanquish, nobody has attempted to steal anything from the chamber. Although there were times the formations have been triggered, it was always an accident or a misunderstanding.

"This is the beast perseveration room?" Dalis asked.

"Yes. This is the place where several noteworthy beasts are preserved. A majority of them are dead, but some of them are still alive. Please follow us. Do not wander off. This is a very important location. The average Vanquisher is not even permitted to enter here."

(Well there was a steel enchanted door that one would need to breach to enter here. Not to mention a Vanquish guard with decked out equipment . . . ) 

The room the children were in was filled with many display cased beasts in cryostasis. They appeared to be frozen icebergs in tanks. Each display case was diverse in size, matching an appropriate shape to encapsulate the beasts, which were completely submerged in ice. Although the numbers were less than fifty, one could say it was a miniature museum. After all, the beasts kept here appeared as dinosaurs; each beast would cover a sizable amount of space. 

"Fascinating. All of these are beasts I have only read and seen illustrations of in books. In addition, they're demonised beasts," Melvin said in a hushed, awed whisper. He was very interested in studying the anatomy of every beast in this room. If it wasn't for Stilla dragging him along by the sleeve, he would have already been left behind at the entrance. 

"Melvvvviiinn. I know this place is very interesting to you, but you've got to keep up or you will get in trouble. We are only here for the big bad wolf."

" . . . I know that." Despite what he said . . . his feet were glued to the floor. He was busily staring at a ferocious-looking demonic beast. It was shaped like a lion, but with armoured skin, had two menacing heads, and three tails.

When Sienna followed Melvin's light of sight, she gasped and also became glued to the floor. If her memories were correct, that was a Jabberion. It was one of the legendary beasts in the Pedlar Continent. It was equivalent to a tiger, a lion, or a shark. It was a renowned beast that would make even a Vanquish General concede defeat in a couple of minutes. Although it was a powerful and respected beast, it was incapable of speech. 

(Hmm?)

Dalis turned around and found everyone stuck to the floor. Their lines of sight attracted to that frozen Jabberion. Even Stilla had unknowingly released her grip from Melvin's sleeve, likewise enthralled. 

(Oh. That's quite the specimen there. Indeed, it is worth admiring over . . . I assume?)

Dalis did not seem to be like the rest; his head was tilted. His complexion seemed to express “sure, but so what of it?" 

The assigned Vanquisher noticed that he could no longer feel the presence, nor hear the footsteps of the children. He turned around and discovered their awed state. The Vanquisher did not need to look towards the Jabberian to understand the situation.

"Yep, I was the same as you guys when I first came here a long time ago. Though there are many rare and exotic beasts here, this one definitely takes the cake," the Vanquisher said. She looked towards the majestic beast and then added, "awe-inspiring isn't it?" 

"Indeed," Melvin uttered. 

"Yup it's so coooool. I've never seen such an awesome looking beast."

"Just by appearance, the legendary beast lives up to its name." 

Everyone affirmed with coinciding understanding. Only Dalis did not say a word. Before he knew it, everybody was looking at him with a strange face. 

"Ah yes, the Jabberion. A legendary demon beast that is said to rule over the dark wilds of the Pedlar Continent. For myself to have the privilege to feast my eyes on such an exalted beast, I can't help but shed tears at its magnificence," Dalis said as he took out a handkerchief to wipe his eyes. Behind the covers of the sheet of absorbent paper, there weren’t even crocodile tears present . . . his eyes were extremely dull, leaking a tinge of derision. It was a contrast to his displayed performance. 

Fortunately, nobody could see behind the wall of fabric, but . . . 

"Fool."

"You really like to joke around sometimes . . . ahahaha."

"Dalis. It's not good to lie . . . big sister will punish you later if you don't apologise now okay?"

" . . . "

It was very awkward.

(Why the hell do I have to apologise? Damn it, I should've just been blatant with them. What is so great about this legendary beast anyways?)

 

***

 

The Vanquisher waved her sceptre artefact while chanting a spell briefly and gently, tapping the rim of the large display case which contained The Monster. In response, the case glowed with a pristine yellow light, forcing the clogged ice melt from the brim. As a result, water filled up the case as though it was a fish tank. Naturally, the beast's body began to plop. Mysteriously, none of the innards of the beast had fallen out, perfectly maintaining its integrity. One could even see the blood within the beast coagulate, but not drip at all. The whole process roughly took seven minutes or so. 

"There you go children," the Vanquisher said, as she gave a small smile. 

"Watching this with my own eyes was riveting. To immaculately preserve a dead body in perfect condition . . . how wondrous," Melvin uttered. He had gasped so much today that he had lost count.

"Oh? This evolved wolf doesn't have any trace of any demonic mana anymore. Could it be because of the ice?" Sienna conjectured. 

"Yes, that's right. All of the demon beasts here are in cryostasis. They are frozen in holy water, which not only preserves them, but in addition, overtime purifies them. Although it's not perfect, it's more than adequate."

"Is it that simple?" Stilla inquired. 

"No, of course not! But that's not something you children are allowed to know. Sorry!"

"Allow me to clarify. We are allowed the first serving, and as long as the amount we take is not far fetched, it would be acceptable?" Dalis averred. 

"Yes. Please concisely tell me what parts you children need. I will extract the parts for you."

The extraction of the body was a smooth procedure. 

If it were not for Dalis taking the remaining two upper canine fangs, Stilla would have almost taken the whole set of teeth from the beast. Melvin obtained an adequate amount of fur to create a steel coat. Whilst Sienna settled with a part of the plume spiked tail material.

 

Author Note: We are back for Monday's release. Sorry! It's quite a short chapter. Next release is a very important chapter. 

2