Chapter 50: Farewell Missionary Church of Vanquish and the Caleyar Orphanage (1)
85 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You children are leaving today right? That means we won't be seeing each other for a long time. I'm going to miss you children. No, us townsfolk and the nearby villagers will all miss you." 

"Mrs Brown, the trip won't be that long. I promise! We will return here again before you know it. I can't wait for my next meal here at Lavachena," Stilla said happily as she continued to take voracious bites at her marinated chicken fajita. 

"Hahahahaha. Stilla, I know you really like our cooking here and you won't be back for a while but . . . "Mr Brown left his words hanging before walking out from the counter and bending over to whisper in her ear, "the young lads beside you are wincing you know?" 

"Mmmm?" Stilla turned towards Dalis and Melvin. Looking at their expressions, Stilla blushed a little red. 

"The cuisine here is splendid as per usual. Much of the fare is abundant with various rich vitamins and proteins. Perfect for a growing gourmet such as myself. It is no surprise that Stilla is heavily engrossed with savouring her meal. There is no need to pay no heed to her small mess," Melvin verified as though he was talking to himself, turning away from Stilla. 

"Y-You didn't need to do that!!" Stilla shouted, embarrassed. 

"Ignoring his supercilious comment, the rest of what he said was true. Stilla we are setting off in an hour or so. Don't mind it," Dalis interjected. He too took bites of his exquisite meal without restraint. Albeit, he was much more presentable than Stilla and made sure to maintain his manners. 

"Okay!" Obtaining both of their opinions elicited her to not mind herself. She then ordered a couple of more specialities from the menu. 

Melvin felt a sense of apprehension overwhelm him. He began to ponder about what he should do.

(This girl . . . is her tummy a bottomless pit waiting to be filled? Should I intervene or let her spoil herself? Time is likely not an issue but . . . if she overeats it may risk some unpleasant happenings during the journey.) 

Melvin did not wish to see Stilla cause a farce and was genuinely worried for her. Thus, he gazed back towards Stilla to warn her, only to be frozen in hesitation as he watched her blissfully devour and nimble the next batch of food. 

"Perhaps it is fine to let things remain a little longer . . . " Melvin murmured. 

Tinkle Tinkle

A bell tinkled as the shop's door opened. It was a young male that the three were very familiar with- it was Halio.

"Oh, looks like Sister Edna was right on. You kids are here after all." 

Stilla was a little too preoccupied to notice, but Melvin and Dalis noticed Halio's entrance. Dalis was attentive to Melvin's countenance and discerned that it may lead to a bit of trouble. To avoid this, he promptly stood up and walked over.

"Were you looking for us?"

"Yeah, well . . . specifically for you mate. Though I have a message from Sister Edna for the rest." 

"Understood. The message from Sister Edna?"

"She wants you guys to come about twenty-five minutes earlier. If ya kids don't, then you kids will regret it."

"Could you elaborate?"

"Dunno. Ask her yourself if you're so curious. Nope nevermind. You're coming with me so ya won't get that chance bud, sorry."

"I see. No problem. I will notify them."

"Notify? Well alright then I will be waiting outside the shop," Halio stated as he spun around and gave a wave from the back. He had planned to drop in and say a few words to Stilla and Melvin, but the leering by Melvin made him dismiss his idea. Instead, he will choose to send them their goodbyes with the rest of the teachers. Perhaps when they return, he and Melvin would be able to properly talk things out. It did not go well the last time he tried.

Dalis then went to notify Melvin and Stilla. Afterwards, he and Halio set off on a walk around the Town of Vanquish. 

"Hotshot, ya didn't disappoint at all. I always knew you were a level above everyone else. It's not something that you would commonly see as talents. Rather, it's like your aptitude. Sometimes you bloody pull moves that aren't even taught. Seriously, who the hell raised you before Mama picked you up."

" . . . Thanks for the flattery." 

"No this ain't flattery. It's genuine praise. Don't be so modest. You ain't gonna score more ladies if ya keep this up. Be proud of yourself. You damn edgelord," Halio corrected as he gave a couple of manly pats on his right shoulder. 

"Edgelord? Screw off! How dare you describe me like that," Dalis angrily protested. He may be aloof, but could not be said to be apathetic. Being described as an "edgelord" was pejorative.

"Hahahahaha I'm just kidding. I know you ain't like that, though that's because I know you. Can't say the same for others I reckon. Maybe not an edgelord but edgy."

"Is that so . . . ?"

"Right on kiddo. Keep acting like that and you will get girls swooning after you. Although ya might wanna change the air around you a bit."

"I will keep the advice in mind."

In spite of what Dalis said, he did not. He had no interest in having girls swarm over him. However, he did agree with the change of air.

"You excited for your trip? You lucky kiddos even get the chance to participate in Cresuilge Kingdom's annual tournament. Damn, I wish I was a little younger. The glory is nice and all, but the real deal is facing the tests with the Knights of Majesty." Halio's eyes seemed to ignite with passion. Immediately, he began to discuss the famous Six Knights of Majesty from Cresuilge Kingdom. 

Dalis had heard of them before, but Halio's knowledge was extensive and detailed. He even felt a little sceptic halfway through the talk. The way he said things made it seem as though he was providing him tips and warnings upon facing them. Particularly when he brought up the Master of Halberd, Michael Griffith. Could it be Halio had his hopes in Dalis defeating one of the Knights of Majesty? 

"Anyways that's the gist of it. Share ‘em with the other kids if ya like. I see two fellows right up ahead there."

Following Halio's line of sight, Dalis's eyes rested upon two individuals he was quite familiar with. 

The young male had short, tousled, brown hair that appeared to somewhat spike out in a waved shape. Unexpectedly, those quirky spikes seemed to accentuate his carefree outgoing personality. It was Allen. By his side was a girl with smooth, straight, long, black hair. Most of her bangs leaned to her, covering one side of her frontal tails and revealing only one of her ears on the opposite side. To top off her beauty, a portion of her hair at the back was formed into a bun held by a green pin. It was Sun Hee. These Two were roommates of Dalis. 

"Do ya know where those kids are going?"

"Yes. They're likely going to the church for their final prayers before we set off."

"Have you gone yet?"

"No. I should depart as per instructions of Sister Edna."

"Mate, what are you doing? Go on and join them!"

With a nonchalant look, he nods and heads over to join the two.

(I swear that kid... He is responsible as long as it doesn’t involve Sister Edna. ) Halio couldn't help but let out a disappointed sigh. 

 

***

 

"Allen and Sun Hee are you heading to the Church of Vanquish?"

The sudden call from behind startled them; they didn't notice his presence.

"Oh it's you Dalis. You're like those infamous Swamp people. How do you do that? You gotta teach me man!" Allen said with a voice laced in surprise. "Seriously teach me!" he added. 

"I was just walking casually, what's the fuss?" Dalis replied a little flustered with a faint grin on his face. Whenever he was around Allen, he would enter into a good mood. Allen's charisma made him very likeable and was one of the few people, besides Stilla and Melvin, he was comfortable with. 

"Hello Dalis," Sun Hee greeted with a reserved smile. She was a naturally shy person. Although she was comfortable with many people since her move to the Orphanage years ago, she was still a diffident girl at her core. When it came to talking to Dalis, it wasn't much different from an acquaintance. 

Dalis turned to Sun Hee and gave a slight smile to her. 

As though the smile had a magical effect, she started fidgeting. With a look of realisation she piped, "yes we are heading to the church!!"

Momentarily surprised, Allen laughs. "You heard her. We are on our way to the church. Let's get going shall we?" He begins to start walking off in an easy-going manner. 

Watching him depart, Dalis and Sun Hee exchanged glances, and then followed after his steps towards the lush gardens of Vanquish. 

 

1