2. Analysts
3.3k 10 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: Analysts

 

Analyst. They are one of the five main crests of the demon folks, the Ak’him race. The other four crest being Warrior, Cunning, Saboteur, and Succour. 

Unlike the other crests, those of the Analyst Crest are different in that they're rather humanlike. They don’t have the scales, the muscles and the horns of a Warrior. They don’t have the long sleek tail and fangs of a Cunning. They don’t have sharp claws and strong drill tails of those of the Saboteurs. Nor do they have the wings and flight tails that Succors have. They have no physical traits other than their crimson red eyes that they can use to differentiate themselves from the humans that they’ve been at odds with since the race incarnation, the age of the First Demon Lord. 

Thanks to that, the Analysts are often looked down upon. They were seen as a crest that could not offer anything of use to Ak’hims. Anything they can do, the other four crests could do better. Physically at least. 

Magic wise, although often compared to the Saboteurs and the Succours, the Analyst holds an advantage over the other members of their race. Their vast mana reserves. The Analysts are also good with tinkering with stuff, though it is unknown if this is related to their crest or the fact that they have hands rather than claws and are better at this kind of stuff.

A very certain group of Analysts were gathered on that day. All of them were standing in formation and at ease. An order was given out to them to gather up and so they did. The occasional odd stares from the other Ak’hims would graze them but they are merely ignored as the Analysts await their commanding officer.

“She’s coming," A shorter than average person called out, a pair of goggles on the top of his head. He wore an officer's military uniform, albeit heavily customised with extra punches. One glance at him and one could tell that he was a combat engineer.

Everyone then went on alert as they waited for their commanding officer to address them. Said commanding officer walking groggily towards them, shifting left and right, looking like she was about to fall to the ground at any time. Everyone just saw this scene and gave a multitude of complex expressions. Mostly wry smiles, as if this was a normal occurrence to them.

Klauna walked up to the small elevated podium and looked upon the men and women under her command. At her side was the demon who ordered everyone to gather, Harbin. On Klauna’s other side was another person, the male with shorter than average height with the goggles on his head.

“I did the roll call. Every single Analyst under the Seventh Army is gathered here. All one hundred and fifty-three of them. Including you two, that would make one hundred and fifty-five.” The man said to Klauna before handing her a piece of paper.

“Thanks, Senior Yuupiecca.” Harbin gave a bow towards the young-looking man.

Yuupiecca dismissively waved his hands towards Harbin before asking: “So what’s the deal? Why are we gathering everyone? Has the Lord General given his order?”

Harbin could only shrug as a response. Seeing her response, Yuupiecca focused his attention onto Klauna who was reading the paper that he passed with great interest. It wasn’t long before she crumpled up the paper and threw it to the ground. Yuupiecca felt a little hurt when Klauna did that, but he’s already used to it by now. It was just a report of the budget and equipment under Klauna’s company.

“Are we sortie ready?” Klauna asked.

“We are ready to execute actions at a moment’s notice,” Yuupiecca replied.

“Harbin,” Klauna called out.

“Um? Yes?”

“Pass me the book, I need to find something in it.” Klauna pointed at the Grimoire of the Analyst within Harbin’s hands.

“Ngehhhh, don’t wanna,” Harbin backed away and hugged the grimoire tight.

Klauna gave Harbin an expressionless look.

“Your hands are dirty, and you reek of alcohol. You’ll just get grime on the relic.” 

Letting out a sigh, Klauna then asked: ”Is there any long-range bombardment spell inside the book? One that can cause the ground to corrode?”

Harbin responded that she will check on it and flipped through the grimoire. A few minutes passed as Harbin just flips through the book before stopping on a certain page. She then took a few more minutes to read the content of the page before closing the grimoire fully. Not before putting a bookmark on said page.

"There is a spell. It’s not exactly corrosive but it will turn the ground into mud, a bog of sorts. With proper adjustments, we could probably weaponise the spell. I think.”

“I see. Harbin!” Klauna called out to Harbin. Unlike the plain and uncaring tone that she used up till a moment ago, her voice was loud and charismatic. It was likely that she was trying to convey her voice to everyone that was gathered in the area.

“Ah? Yes!”

“I need you to organise a platoon. About twenty to thirty personnel will do. I leave the selection to you, just make sure they are good at sneaking around and foresting. Yuupiecca, you’ll be in charge of whatever people are left here.”

“Alright!” 
“Roger.”

Harbin and Yuupiecca both replied. Their answers were rigid as their stance.

“Also, one more thing,” Klauna asked.

* * * * *

A group of about one hundred and thirty Analysts were running about and doing their last preparations. On the ground were several large magic circles, all glowing dark and red. Several Analysts were sitting outside the circle, chanting and supplying magic to the circles.

They weren't at the encampment of course. No, they were hidden within the woods that border their encampment— away from prying eyes of their peers. What they were doing was not exactly something that the others will appreciate after all.

"Are we really doing this?" One of the men under Yuupiecca asked.

"Yeah, we don't have permission from the Lord General and the other captains." Another demon spoke.

"We got our orders guys. You know better than to doubt Captain Klauna. I'm sure she knows what she's doing," Yuupiecca answered.

"What if the enemies do a counter-attack? The encampment will be in danger," a female demon asked.

"Then the enemies will waste their advantageous position to attack us. They won't be that stupid. If they are then I assure you we will win. I'll take the blame. Is what she said when I asked that same exact question," Yuupiecca said while impersonating Klauna.

"What if the enemy does their own long-range bombardment at us?"

"They won't. If they had such a spell they would have done so earlier, we've been in this stalemate for days now and our encampment is much more vulnerable to bombardments. If they do have them then the enemies are fools. That's what she said when I asked," Yuupiecca said while impersonating Klauna again.

"Lord Klauna really thought it out huh," the first demon said.

"I mean, she always does. She always says she doesn't care but she always think things through." The second demon said.

The female demon only folded her arms and hung her head, "Why can't I feel anything but worry about it though? She being drunk doesn't really fill me with confidence."

*Clap *Clap

"Enough talking. We got our orders. Get back to work guys. Yuuka, Yuuki, Yuuko, give the orders to the others. We are beginning the bombardment now."

The three demon triplets gave their salutes and went to their respective magic circles. They gave out their orders and everyone got into position. A large choir was sung and the air flowed heavy with magic power.

"Begin the bombardment!" Yuupiecca shouted his orders.

The ground rumbled and a roaring sound rang out as the earth hollows itself. Streaks of red flew into the skies before disappearing from Yuupiecca's sight. Block by the sight of tall trees.

*Boom *Boom *Boom

A few seconds later, exactly three explosions were heard. A good twenty seconds after that was a man who came into their position, coming from the forest nearby.

"First two are direct hits! Third one missed far off into the woods. Two were intercepted and the rest were duds!" The man shouted.

"Yuuka, Yuuki! Prepare for a second bombardment! Yuuko aim better! The others readjust! We got our orders! Level that trench line!"

The Analysts replied with a vigorous 'Yes Sir!' and prepared for the second bombardment, taking themselves up to a minute or so. Once again, roaring sounds were heard as the second salvo was launched into the air.

This time multiple explosions were heard. 

After a certain amount of time had passed, another man came into their position. The first man had already run back to the front. "All direct hits other than the third one. No interception on this salvo!" He shouted.

"Yuuko, aim better! Everyone third wave!" 

"Wait!" The first man who was supposed to run back to the vantage point came back. His breath ran wildly. "The! The enemy launched a counter-attack! They are sending men towards the encampment!"

"What?!" Yuuki shouted.

Yuupiecca was shocked by the news, but not that much. He kind of expected it to happen.

“What do we do Senior Yuupiecca?” The demon who brought the news asked.

Yuupiecca took a few moments to think about his situation and his orders from his superior officer.

“Continue the bombardment. You two, I want you to watch the perimeter. Make sure they don’t sniff us out,” Yuupiecca replied after a few minutes of deliberation.

“What about the encampment?” the scout asked.

“Leave it. We go according to plan. Captain Klauna will take the blame.”

As Yuupiecca gave the orders to continue the bombardment, a small thought entered his mind. The thoughts that reassured him that Klauna knew what she was doing. 

“Get a messenger to Captain Klauna, let her know about this. Now!” Yuupiecca shouted to the men and women of the Seventh Army.

* * * * *

 

*Boom *Boom *Boom *Boom...

“Looks like the bombardment is going well,” a female demon wearing light clothing—made for espionage spoke.

“Quiet you! We are in enemy territory.” An older much more experienced looking demon chided her.

“Yes... Sorry…”

Klauna, Harbin and about twenty-five Analysts were currently in the woods, within enemy territory. Their orders were simple, to find Lord General Lionel and his group of elites. Klauna had deduced that Lionel will most likely visit this flank— in this forest near the edge of the trenches to find a weak spot on the enemy's position. They had no idea how the drunk captain knew that, but none of them questioned Klauna. They’ve been through a lot to doubt the captain now.

The Analysts with light armour moved swiftly across the woods, jumping across the trees and branches like they belonged there. They moved in a wide perimeter around a detachment of mages, including Harbin, that were moving through the woods normally. Klauna was nowhere to be seen within the group. No, she was at the backmost position of all the Analyst in the woods. Just walking slowly and wobbly. 

Suddenly, an Analyst wearing light armour, much like the two demons earlier came in from their side. “Captain Klauna, report from the recon squad,”  He said as he arrived at the captain.

“Go ahead,” Klauna said, not stopping her movement.

“The enemy launched a counterattack on the base. Senior Yuupiecca wanted me to let you know about it.”

“Noted,” Klauna replied and moved forward, her pace faster now. She didn’t say anything else.

The recon simply nodded and ran back from where he came from.

“Aren’t we going to help them, Captain Klauna? The people at the encampment?” Harbin asked as Klauna caught up with the other Analyst.

“There’s no need. They will win. Our job is much more important. Tell the rogues to double the perimeter. The general is somewhere in this forest and so is theirs.”

“Theirs? How would you know that?” Harbin asked.

“I don’t believe that someone who was smart enough to build trenches will just waste away their men just because of a small bombardment. The enemy’s general was probably not at the encampment. But then again, I have been proven wrong before. Just keep your eyes open.”

“Alright,” Harbin replied before giving the orders to the rest of the Analyst. They only saluted and executed the orders. None of them questioned back.

 

 

 

Thanks again for reading!

 

82