7 – Pun-ishment
362 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You. Damned. Bastards! Always! Looking! Down on me!”

Yuu quietly filled out his form, pointedly ignoring the mayhem happening on the right side of the guild hall.

“Oh God! Stop it! He’s already dead!” That was a masculine voice. Probably another one of the adventurers that had been watching there.

Yuu shook his head. From his experience, trying to reason with women in that mood…

“Shut up!” Crack. “You’re next!”

Yeah, that was impossible. Yuu focused on the paper, reading over what he had to fill out.

After grabbing the paperwork, Yuu made his way to a table on the left, near the stalls. He managed to find a working pen, surprisingly a modern ballpoint one, and then started filling out paperwork.

Thankfully, it was in a language he was familiar with, so there was no problem there. A bit strange considering the sign was written in an unfamiliar scrawl, but Yuu decided to count his blessings where he could.

A muffled scream and a low gurgle echoed from the right side of the room.

That was troubling. Also somewhat disturbing. Then again, Yuu had dealt with worse stuff when working HR for Company X, so he ignored it and put his brain on autopilot to fill out the form.

The room, once filled with light-hearted chatter and jeers, was silent now. Only the sound of fleshy thuds and low groans echoed.

Yuu paused. He’d finished his sheet… which left only his companion’s to fill before they could register.

Eir’s. The one who was thoroughly pummeling the guy in the right side of the room.

Yuu considered filling it out for her. After all, she seemed to be in a bit of a rush too… and it wasn’t like they would actually be adventuring together or anything.

And then he remembered the last time he tried to help out a female colleague with paperwork and decided against it. Instead, he picked sheet up and stood, turning to finally check on the damage.

Eir stood before a bloody mess that couldn’t even be called a person anymore. Not only that, but there were bits of red staining her clothes.

…Was that guy even alive anymore?

[Inquiry MAX activated.]
[Analyzing… Target is alive.]

Huh. Seems like that musclehead was more durable than Yuu thought. Still, he couldn’t just let Eir keep wailing away at him. They’d be there all day in that case.

“Stupid! Musclehead! Idiots!”

Yuu watched Eir continue to kick the stupid man who stood in her way… and were those a pair of spiked high heels she was wearing?

Anyway, Yuu watched Eir for a bit and then made his way across the room, carrying the pen and her copy of the form.

Immediately, all eyes were on him, the other adventurers no doubt hoping he would put an end to the madness.

For a brief second, Yuu felt the urge to run. It wasn’t like he had anything tying him down here… besides, he could probably register as an adventurer somewhere else. But he had a feeling that was a bad idea…

[Danger Sense MAX activated]

…And that confirmed it.

It seemed like Eir was definitely one of those types.

And considering how upset she had seemed already in hunting down that person, Yuu didn’t feel up to adding himself to her short list.

Again, the room fell silent. This time, even the sounds of Eir attacking the man… or rather, the bloody punching bag on the ground had stopped. The blonde young woman was standing still, letting out long and heavy breaths.

It looked like she had finally let off all her pent-up steam. Which mean this was the perfect time for Yuu to step in. He cleared his throat and then stepped forward, waving the registration form. “Sorry to bother you, Eir, but I need you to fill this out before we can register.”

Eir slowly turned her head to look at Yuu, her crimson eyes shining ominously.

He remained calm. It wouldn’t be the first time facing down a woman’s murderous wrath, so he wasn’t bothered by Eir. Instead, he just waited.

After a few moments, Eir closed her eyes and then nodded. She let out a sigh and then deliberately turned on her heel to face Yuu. She smiled and said, “Thank you for informing me.”

Yuu nodded and turned around again, heading back towards the table.

The sounds of footsteps and heels clicking against the wooden floor echoed, and then the guild hall erupted into noise. Loud chatter, boisterous jeers… it was even louder than when they entered.

Despite that, Yuu could sense the undercurrent of nervousness in that noise. It was just like the office the day after the fiscal year ended and the boss was deciding on who to cut from Company X in the following few days.

Not a pretty picture. Especially when being cut from Company X usually meant a rather public conversation about your specific failings.

Granted, Yuu had never faced that situation considering how good he was at his job, but…

Eir took a seat at the table and then let out a long sigh.

Yuu grabbed the seat across from her and then said, “Long day?”

The blonde young woman shook her head. “My apologies for that… uncouth behavior. However, I have had to deal with people like that since leaving home to seek that person and…” She paused. “It has been stressful. Very stressful.”

Yuu nodded and then slid the form and pen across the table towards Eir. “I know how that is.”

Yuu’s first job had been working with HR and running tech support for clients. Needless to say, it wasn’t fun.

He shook his head and said, “Anyway, all you have to do is fill out your name and alias. The other stuff is optional.”

Eir froze and then said, “…Name?”

Yuu nodded. “That’s right.” He stared at Eir and said, “I don’t think it’s that big of a deal if you give out a false name, but you never know with these things, so…”

Eir kept quiet, continuing to stare at her form.

After a few minutes passed, Yuu spoke up. “Do you… need help filling it out?”

“I… Ahem.” Eir peeked over at Yuu and said, “Might I look at your form?”

“Sure?” Yuu slid his over for Eir to look at.

She glanced it over once, twice, three times… and then let out a long sigh before sliding it back. “I suppose if you filled out that much, the least I can do is… Hah.” She shook her head and started writing.

Yuu waited for her to finish, double checking his own form for errors… or rather any incriminating information.

There wasn’t much Yuu could do about his name, but from the laziness that Atella showed, he wasn’t too worried about information getting back to the King and the Guildmaster.

Yuu knew firsthand just how easily things could be delayed if the one doing the paperwork really didn’t feel like doing their job right.

“H-Here.” Eir shoved the paper across the table and then turned her head to the side.

“Hm?” That was an odd reaction. Curious, Yuu glanced down at the form.

As expected of Eir, who hid her face beneath that hood, most of it was blank. The only parts filled out were her name and her alias- Ah.

Yuu stared at the name and then looked up at Eir.

“W-What is it?!” Eir flushed and jabbed a finger at Yuu. “If you have something to say, Yuusuke, spit it out!”

Yuu nodded and said, “Your parents must really hate you, huh?”

Eir sighed and placed her face in her hands.

Yuu shook his head and glanced again at the name written down on her form: Eir Hed.

12