Chapter 19: The Mandell Library
195 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leaving the Adventurers Guild, I pick up Hatsu from the receptionist's desk. The little furball barked with the joy of seeing me. Sitting on the desk, he awaits my arrival wagging his fluffy tail. Approaching Hatsu, Hatsu immediately leaped onto my shoulder and fixed himself into a comfortable hanging position. Thanking the receptionist who was adoring Hatsu, I exit the building to the transit station adjacent to it. My plan was to head to the Mandell Household to increase my knowledge of magic. With the Hero Game System, as long as I skimmed a book, I could gain its skills. Even if I gained the skill, the rest is up to practice in order to master it completely.

>>>

You are probably wondering why I didn't have to take two exams for my Ranking Exam. Here's the thing, the Guild assesses Adventurers only on their Main Position, and any other positions are listed as secondary until one takes their exam to advance to Silver Rank. Most Adventurers spend their time in Green, Iron, and Bronze Ranks trying to figure out which position they are suited for. Thus, these Ranks are what many call the Shallows. After everyone was discharged from Royal Cross Hospital, Ray told them about my spearmanship, and with some persuasion, they made me change my main position to Spearman and put Healer as secondary. Of course, I had to go through a full license change in the meantime which took three hours. On top of that, they also wondered why I didn't say anything about it earlier when I first joined. Truth is, I only told Eren but then she told Ray from which I assumed Eren told everyone but apparently not. They were extremely pissed. Some of them were even sending long apologies about putting me as a porter. To be honest, I didn't quite mind the porter job because it paid well and if I wasn't one, the Party may have died a long time ago.     

>>>

The rickety train sped off into the dark tunnel and I would disembark it in four stops. The Mandell Family, since the beginning of the Dark Era, has always been loyal to the Church. According to history, the first Pope, Iris von Chatelier first companion was a Mandell and at the time, the Mandell's were a small merchant family with no connections to a larger Family. Surprisingly enough, Chatelier's first companion was from the Mandell's Branch Family as a result, once the Dark Era ended, he became the family head and his Branch Family became the Main Family. Four years later, the young family head had changed the Mandell's from the lowest of merchants to the most prominent Noble family in the Eastern Continent emphasizing education for all and building large estates for that purpose. The one in Shorelock became the largest library in the Eastern Continent containing every book one could think of. From cursed grimoires to books on cooking or even entertainment, you name it and they would have it. However, only certain sections were available to the public and the rest would require you to get a special card. This special card can be obtained in three ways: taking an exam, having a connection to a Mandell, or paying a large sum of money. In my case, I obtained mine via the second method. Ah, the benefits of knowing a Mandell were absolutely amazing. Sorry, Eren.

After ten minutes, I finally reached my stop. The moment I stepped outside, I was roasting. It was already one in the afternoon and the midday sun shone brightly over Shorelock. Coupled with the humidity, it felt like an oven. Fortunately, the Mandell Household was only a couple blocks away from the station and one could see the enormous estate just by standing outside the station thus making it easy to navigate there. Taking the shortest route possible, I arrived at the estate in no time. Because the Mandell Family's libraries are so valuable, it's not rare to find someone who's willing to steal a book or two from the prohibited sections. Thus, guards of at least Gold Rank guard both the exteriors and the interiors twenty-four–seven to prevent such crimes.

Standing in front of the estate, I realized it's not called the largest library in the Eastern Continent for nothing. A large black iron gate stood at about ten meters preventing anyone from being able to jump it. Guards were stationed every two meters leaving no room for sneaking in or escaping. Behind the gates, a five-story mansion, encrusted with gold engravings stood, some two hundred meters from the gate encircled in a flowering garden. Showing the guard my card, he waves his hand signaling to go in. On the other side of the gate, a female figure with mid-length black hair leans against the gate, her back facing mine. It was Eren.

Sensing my arrival she smiles. 

"Good afternoon." She bowed with politeness.

"Good afternoon," I said in turn.

Gesturing with her hand to follow her, I obey. As we cross a small bridge to the main entrance she asked,  "What's business do you have here today?"

"Just some studying and training. What's new for you, Savior?" I said scratching my head.

"Nothing much," she replied, "just returned from a press conference."

"Ah," I pretended to show interest, "Silver Knight if I'm not mistaken?"

Turning her head away from me, she looks down at the ground with a sad expression, "Yes, the media was pressuring me to tell them the 'truth'."

"The 'truth'?" I cocked my eyebrows.

"They believe, now with the appearance of Silver Knight, that he's the true 'Savior' and I'm just a figurehead of hope to the public. As such, they and the people are beginning to doubt the Church's credibility. They wanted answers, especially from the Silver Knight himself."

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. With the appearance of the Hero Game System, I basically made the sun rise to the west instead of the east and now, the whole world is hunting me down to the end of the world to interrogate me.

"How would you know? You've only seen him once!"

Lifting her head, she places her hand on her chin.

"Fair point."

"Then again, the Church wasn't the one that selected you to be the 'Savior' but the Heavens so there must a reason behind their judgment."

"Another fair point, indeed." She scoffed, "but I get the feeling that he's someone I know." 

After talking a bit more, we finally arrived at the main entrance of the library. Two guards were stationed at both sides of the double doors with swords ready to be drawn at any moment.

Turning around, Savior smiles at me.

"I guess this is where we go our separate ways."

"Yeah," I nodded, "I guess so."

Turning her back to me, she waves to me as she leaves.

"Well enjoy your time here."

"Will do."

Then, she was gone. I walked up to the guard and handed him my card.

"This way," he gestured.

Opening the double doors, both of us walk inside. The library was huge! I'm only on the first floor and there were hundreds of wood bookshelves lining the walls and this was only the area limited to the public. Between the bookshelves, cubicles gave visitors a place to immerse themselves in their books without being disturbed. In the center, old cedar wood long tables extended from one end of the library to the other. To the wings, spiral staircases ascended to the next floors, while above, a glass dome portrayed a detailed mural of the Four Gods laying in a circle, allowing for the light to filter into the library, illuminating it in various colored lights.

>>>

So who were the Four Gods? They were the four Gods who formed a temporary contract with the Chatiler during the Dark Era and the overseers of the Heavens. These Gods include the God of Speed: Eagle Eyes, the Goddess of Support: Radiant Sun, the God of Power: Night Blade, and the Goddess of Defense: Titanium Fist. With their assistance, they were able to push the Central Continent forces back and access the gate to Heaven where Iris von Chatelier supposedly ascended to Godhood. Of course, this is just a legend. No one knows what truly happened during the Dark Era as most records from that time were lost. 

>>>

After ascending three floors, the guard leads me to a door with the number '408'. He opens the door to the room. Inside, a wooden desk with a leather seat behind it stood in the center of the room. Two, large glass windows brought in natural light and four wooden shelves lined the walls. Above, a glass chandelier hangs by a small chain. On top of the desk, all the necessary stationaries for a work area, including a charging dock for electronic devices, were provided. 

 Getting accustomed to my surroundings, the guard hands me a golden badge shaped like a bird's wing.

"Pin this onto your jacket. It's your key to access all the floors without taking out your keycard. By imbuing mana into the pin, you can make the pin invisible to the eye. Other than you, only guards and other employees will be able to see the pin and will grant you all services of a first-class VIP member.  Enjoy your time here." 

With that, he left the room, shutting the door behind. Hatsu lands nimbly on the desk while I take a seat in the leather chair. It was comfortable. With no time to waste, I open my storage space and remove the goblin pouches I obtained five days ago. Opening the crate, I grab a pouch and open it. Inside, there was a translucent blue crystal about the size of a baseball. This was a high-grade mana crystal, perfect for training! With any magic-related class, there were two ways to train. The first method, the most conventional one, was to use the same spell over and over again until mastered. The second, the more expensive method, was to absorb mana crystals. By absorbing mana crystal, one can select a spell they want to master and absorb the crystal to increase their mastery. Additionally, this method can also increase the quantity and quality of the mana meridians. I've only used this method during my last two years at the Magic Academy, but they only provided one mana crystal per semester, and this has proven to be extremely effective. Now, with an abundance of mana crystals, I can advance my skills to the next level!  

I haven't checked my stats in a while so I opened the Hero Game System. I was satisfied. 

[Name: Andrew Halycon

Gender: Male

Age: 17

DOB: April 19th

Current Class(es): Spearman/Healer Hidden Class: Silver Holy Knight

Current Level: 38

Attack: 312 ~ 314 (Low Iron Rank)

Defense: 295 (Low Iron Rank)

Speed: 290 (Low Iron Rank)

Intelligence: 304 (Low Iron Rank)

Wisdom: 294 (Low Iron Rank)

Dexterity: 299 (Low Iron Rank)

Mana: 313 (Low Iron Rank)

 

Abilities/Skills:

[Eagle Eyes][Lv.Max] This is the skill used by a legendary hero before he ascended to the Gods Realm. This eye allows the user to perceive events a second into the future. Every level you increase it, the duration gets longer. It also allows the user to see everything within a ten-meter radius.

[Special] The gods have found you to be a worthy candidate for ascension. [Eagle Eyes] is granted a second ability! The user can copy Skills the same Rank or lower just by looking at it once. Along with the Hero Game System, the user can copy Skills a Rank higher than the user's Rank.] 

[Special Move: Hundred Strikes][Lv.Max] Only works with Daggers. [Special] Because you possess the [Eagle Eyes] Skill, this skill now works with all weapons.

[Intermediate Spearmanship][Lv.7] Please look at [Skill Details] for Subskills. 

[Intermediate Heal][Lv.1] Can heal broken limbs and organs.

[Intermediate Mana Control][Lv. 7] Can control mana to enhance a body part.

[Basic Aura][Lv.6] Basically, blade intent or killing intent. Works the same way as [Mana Control].  

[Intermediate Flame Magic][Lv. 7] Can use four flames at once and fire them at the enemy. 

[Basic Petrification][Lv.8] By locking gaze with the enemy, the enemy will be intimidated then turn to stone. 

[Intermediate Poison][Lv. 1] User can stab the enemy and the enemy will suffer poison's effects immediately. 

[Intermediate Wind Step][Lv.3] User can transfer mana and move as fast as the wind. 

[Intermediate Wind Blade][Lv. 5] A blade of compressed wind can be formed with mana. 

[Basic Fencing][Lv.1] A branch of swordsmanship. Swift and sharp strikes.

[Basic Steal and Heal][Lv. 1] User locks onto a target and steals their energy. The energy can be transferred and used to heal those who the user considers an ally.

[Growth][Passive][Lv.Max] As the user gets stronger, so will the armor. 1/2 of all stats will be invested into the armor. Skill can transfer to user when armor is not in use.

[Absorb][Passive][Lv.Max] If the armor consumes weapons, armors, or monsters 30% chance user will gain one skill from the item consumed. Skill can transfer over to user when armor is not equipped.

[Getting Stronger Every Day][Passive][Lv.Max] When the user levels up a skill, all stats increase by 1.

 

[Armor] Lv. 15

[Status] Inactive. 20 day Cool Down.

[Upgrade] Armor Lv. 20

[First Seal: Unlock when complete Seal Quest in [Quest] tab]

 

[Contracted Pet: Hatsu (Male) White Wolf Cub [Lv.40]

[Notice: 5 Levels until [Hatsu] can evolve into [White Wolf]] 

[See skill set in [Contracted Pet] tab]

System Extra: Still Weak. Your ancestor can beat you with his finger alone.]

One thing I learned after possessing the system for a week is that the Stat classification is different than the real world. With my current stats, I would be considered a Bronze Ranked Adventurer, however, according to the System, I'm only considered a Low Iron Ranked Adventurer. As such, one of my suspicions were confirmed. The Adventurer Rankings of the System were the same as back in the Dark Ages as the Dark Ages was the peak of the Adventurers Age, where most of the legendary heroes in history came to be heroes. After the Dark Ages, the quantity of Adventurers grew but not the quality, as a result, the ranking system has become more lenient. But that doesn't matter. For now, I should focus on improving my stats. I need to complete the [Hundred Quest] list as fast as possible. 

Emptying out all the goblin pouches, I found half of them to have red mid-grade mana crystals while the rest were blue high-grade ones. How lucky! Suddenly a notification from the system emerges. 

[Notice: System senses an abundance of mana crystals. If the user absorbs the crystals, the user will have an increase in stats and a 10% chance of gaining the crystals skills. Would the user like to absorb the crystals?]   

Yes! 

[Confirmed]

Suddenly, a blinding flash appeared before my eyes and engulfed the mana crystals. The next moment, the mana crystals that were on the table were gone. 

[Notice: Mana has increased by 200]

[Notice: Because the user has absorbed an abundance of mana crystals, the system will now unlock the second form of the [Silver Knight's Armor]] 

[Notice: User has gained Skill, [Dagger Art][Lv.Max]] 

[Notice: User has gained Skill, [ Advance Mass Healing][Lv.Max]] 

[All Stats increase by 60] 

Holy crap, just by absorbing mana crystals, I gained two maxed leveled Skills and a total of a 620 stat increase! If I keep hunting goblins or other intelligent monsters, I can complete the [Hundred Quests] in half the time I planned. Feeling excited, I take out the Lifestyle Magic Book that Savior gifted to me and began immersing myself in all the spell. Within ten minutes, the System completed copying the spells in the book and for two hours, thanks to my high comprehension, I practiced all of them and brought each one to max level. As a result, my stats skyrocketed. What a productive day! 

It was only four o'clock and the library closes at six so I still had two hours. On the side of the desk, there was a button. Pressing it, immediately, a guy with a black tailcoat and a monocle barges into the room, slamming the door against the wall.

"How may I help you?" He asked. 

"I would like to borrow a couple of books on Energy Magic. Specifically the basics."          

"What type of book?" 

"Just textbooks on the fundamentals not anything fancy like a grimoire." 

"Understood."The guy bowed and left the room. 

Less than a minute later, the guy barges back into the room with two books in his arms. 

"Here you go!" He smiles and drops them in a nice stack next to sleeping Hatsu. 

Hatsu, startled by the books, wakes up, briefly, then falls back asleep. On the other hand, I pick up one of the books and begin reading it. As I thought, the complexity of Energy Magic was a lot more complex than Elemental magic. 

>>>

Energy Magic was attributeless magic meaning there were no noticeable weaknesses or characteristics to it. It was a magic created by the Heavens and the most difficult one to master. According to the records, it didn't us mana or any other common energy but new energy called Otrio; however, because the Otrio concentrations in this realm are lower, there are very few Energy users and if there are, they were usually proficient in mana control which can contribute towards learning Otrio. No one knows the exact process to sense Otrio in one's body but those who do awaken it have their abilities double! 

>>>       

[Notice: System cannot comprehend [Basic Energy Magic]! User's comprehension is too low!] 

From this experience, I learned that the System is not omnipotent, well, I should have figured that out a long time ago with the armor cool down. With a hint of disappointment, I picked up Hatsu and left the room. On the way out, a guard escorted me back to the entrance and from there, I took the transit system back home. The sun was setting earlier than expected. 

Author here again! You may have noticed that I mentioned Otrio! If you have read HDW you should know that both novels are written in the same Universe. There is another story that connects these two Universes and some of the characters from that Universe have been referenced. I will be publishing the other story after I do some editing. I'll see you all soon.

3