Chapter 1: Venture
609 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On August 29th, XXXX, bright crimson pillars of flames erupted beyond the city's massive stone walls. Hoards of bony, bat-winged monsters could be seen from a distance, Wyverns. Atop a cliff, I stood only some kilometers away from the city's walls on my way back from gathering herbs for my friend, who's an alchemist in the city.

"What happened?" I exclaimed.

Let's rewind about seven hours ago. I was sitting on a bench in the middle of Tellure Park writing in my notebook about the number of healing spells I know. The bench was underneath an enormous Sequoia tree towering at 35 meters which shadowed the whole park yet providing enough sunlight to pass through in the spring or summer making the park a perfect place to study. Ever since I was in my second year at the Magic Academy, the building a kilometer west of the park, I always came here to prepare for my exams. It was relaxing and I could focus without any distractions. It has been a quirk of mine ever since I was young. I have always enjoyed the sounds of nature surrounding me, birds chirping, the eastward winds brushing past my hair, leaves rustling, they are very soothing sounds to my ear and it feels as though my fatigue disappears every time. It was a nice day until a sudden phone call broke my train of thought.

I glance down at my stack of notebooks on my lap, eight-thirty AM, my phone on top vibrating. I flip my phone over the identify the caller, it was my friend the dark elf Shrishadivit, Rishi for short. I internally sigh, reluctant as to whether to pick up the call or not. Out of my own curiosity, I still did, in the end, pressing the glowing green call button after it vibrated four times.

"You finally pick up!" An exasperated voice said.

"Sorry man, just studying in my usual place." I lightheartedly laugh.

"You and your healing spells...as per usual." He joked.

"Yeah," I responded in kind, "you know when you are a healer you've got to be prepared for the worst."

"That's right you are a part of the Savior's Adventurer Party." He recalled.

"Not really, I'm not the main healer. I just know Savior because we were classmates. Plus, I only serve as a busboy -" I frowned slightly.

"Hey," He interrupted, "at least you pay is better than mine, Mr. Sung Jin Woo 2.0. The life of an alchemist is spending money like water for resources."

"Hahaha." We both laugh.

"Jokes aside," he coughed, "can you get me some herbs from the forest?"

"Sure, that is if you pay me for my service fee of thirty kalas." I spoke indifferently.

Questioning my sarcasm he asks.

"Your kidding right?"

"What do you think?"

"I'm kidding I will do just send it to me." I laughed.

"Shut up man! I'll send you the list and the images!" With a hint of infuriation in his voice.

Another brief vibration could be felt. Looking at my phone, I scrolled down to open the message linking to a file with images of the herbs.

"Got it," I confirmed.

"Scram," Rishi joked with annoyance.

"Fine Mr. Alchemist."

"Same goes to you Mr. Busboy Healer."

He hung up and I packed my things into my leather bag. With modern technology, everyone is able to use inventory magic. Just by injecting mana into an object, one can make their bag infinite space of storage compared to the old days where people had to carry things by hand or carriage. It is rather convenient.

I pulled out my wooden staff, used to channel my mana, magic energy, and a small silver dagger out of my storage space. Leaving the park from the north entrance, I take a fifteen-minute transit ride to the Northeastern City entrance. With my identification card in hand, I leave the safety of the city walls and head into the forest. Most of the herbs on the list could be found on the outskirts of the forest within a radius of at most ten kilometers. However, a couple of the herbs such as Red Ginseng and Viscum Album, I may need to venture farther.

"What are you even thinking of concocting this time Rishi?" I muttered to myself walking through the forest.

Since the forest is dangerous as it is filled with many monsters and demonic beast, humans and elves created a trail that is supposedly safe but as they say, 'anything can happen'. Which is why people still equip themselves with weapons to assure their own safety. Especially myself, a healer from the city. Healers are rare and valuable so if a healer dies, an Adventurer Party might as well end their life. Most parties can only afford one healer but since I'm on the Savior's Party, which is backed the Church and the Holy Order, they can afford two healers. Unfortunately, I'm just a backup healer that only accompanies the parties on bigger raids but I'm mainly used as a porter since my assistance is usually not needed as the Savior can use healing magic herself.

Disregarding the thought of what Rishi plans to concoct, I search left and right, even jumping into trees, for the herbs with a basket in hand. Luckily, Rishi told me the location of the herbs and the specifics on how to harvest each one otherwise, I would have probably died at this point. After a few hours, I glance at the list:

Alright, so all that is left is the Red Ginseng. I didn't even have to venture more than three kilometers. How lucky! I can probably head back in a couple of hours hour.

Satisfied with myself, I transferred just enough mana to my legs to propel myself onto an adjacent tree branch. Leaning my back against the tree trunk, positioning myself comfortably and propping my exhausted legs onto the branch, I take my lunch out of my storage space. Today's meal is a wild boar cutlet sandwich with a bottle of cold water. Before biting into the sandwich, a small creature crawls on my lap. It was a small white dog with small beady black eyes and cotton candylike fur.

A white wolf cub? So cute. My heart hurts. 

The cub stared at my sandwich with its beady eyes begging to have a piece. Since I could not resist its cuteness, I split half of my sandwich. I held out my hand and it stared at me. I nodded saying it was okay and the cub grabbed the sandwich with its small mouth, placing it between its paws, happily eating it. I laughed and continued eating my half. It was delicious. The crispiness of the boar cutlet complements the white bread well. Top it off with the fresh tomatoes and lettuce making it a wonderful sensation to bit into. Finally, the freshwater makes the simple store-bought meal feel more satisfying to my stomach.

The little wolf cub finished its half of the sandwich also feeling satisfied. In my own curiosity, I asked the baby wolf cub:

"Where are your parents?"

The little wolf cub seemed to have understood me and shook its head with a crestfallen look.

"Did you get lost?"

Once again it shook its head.

"No way..." I gasped, "did they die?"

It finally nodded.

So its parents did die.

"Do you want to stay with me?"

Its face immediately lightened up. Jumping into my lap, it began rubbing its face against my chest (no you dumb lolicons, this won't be a trap). I smiled. Picking up the cub, I place it on my shoulders letting its fluffy tail wrap around my neck.

"Hey, that tickles." I laugh as it snuggles comfortably on my shoulder.

"Now, shall we go?"

The cub let out a small bark in agreement. Then I remembered. I take out my phone from my windbreaker pocket and show the cub an image of the Red Ginseng root.

"Have you seen this plant?" I asked it.

Pointing its chin to the sky, it paused for a moment as it tried to recall its location. Then it let out a cute bark and pointed its tiny paw in a direction. Northwest.

"Are there any dangerous monsters in that direction?"

It bobbed its head. Yes.

"Goblins?"

It bobbed its head again. Yes.

"Well, that's no good."

I'm the author. My English suck but I hope you've enjoyed the first chapter.

12