Chapter 38 – Finalizing the Travel Plans
2.6k 9 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Penny points at the area on the map across from the mountains. “I know you said no to the forest but the first part of your trip is to get through the forest. Just follow the path to the newb boss and keep going straight on through. Oh, and obviously you know this already but if you find a boss there, leave it be. Anyway, once your past the forest you have a choice. This middle region is just plains with rabbits. Mind you, the center region has queen variant rabbits, but it isn’t what you are looking for.”

She then traces a path going left around the plains. “This way will be annoying to travel but the enemies are good. This route will take you next to a swamp which forms from this offshoot of the river. While most of the enemies are ambush predators, they are easy to spot and relatively weak. Because the land is changing from swamp to plains, the ground firms up and forces the weaker animals into regions that are hard to hide in. Basically, you can see a bunch of alligators and giant frogs sitting on some damp land. Some people find it funny. Though that tends to be more of a gallows humor by those who have traveled through the swamp proper.”

After noting some points on that path Penny traces the other way. “Now this path is more dangerous but you don’t have to slog through swampland. Since long ago the area has been barren with spikes of stone all over the place. Though after meeting the creatures that inhabit the barrens you might wish for the swamplands. Some people think there is demonic corruption. However several churches having explored it and said otherwise. I personally think some crazy magical battle happened long ago as the creatures seem like something from a wizards experiment. Now any questions?”

Jason blinks a couple of times before answering. “So first of all, info dump much? It felt like you went on for a whole week or something! Next I can mostly agree with your opinion on my options. My only real choice is to head out through the forest. Though I assume the path will mostly be conflict free?”

Penny nods, “Adventurers keep the path clear. The plains are a popular hunting spot so the road sees frequent travel.”

“Okay that won't be much of a problem. As for the path I will take? The swampy route does not appeal to me. First, marshy ground is no fun to travel across. Though the real reason is I don’t feel like dealing with ambush predators. Not that I couldn’t but that isn’t really the sort of fight I am looking for. However, before I finalize my decision can you describe the monsters on the second path?”

Rubbing the back of her head Penny avoids Jason’s eyes. “That would be helpful, wouldn’t it? Don’t get me wrong. I would love to tell you what to expect. However, that would require me knowing what is there. The monsters that venture out from the core of the region are varied and random. If not for a couple of churches going through the whole area, I would half suspect a mad wizard was experimenting out there. Even after they finish such expeditions, we can only predict what will come out for a few months before new monsters show up. This is quite vexing for the guild. We send out a team of melee fighters only to have them find a bunch of armadillo-like creatures. They come back and we send out some magic users to deal with the armadillos but they find mobile plants that eat magic. It is quite frustrating and the only thing that seems to get anywhere is brute force through numbers.”

Hearing about what to expect Jason becomes conflicted. “So basically I can’t plan for anything except that the terrain will be barren? Are the level ranges for the monsters random as well? I should be able to handle or at least escape from most things within a certain range. However, if I could just stroll in and accidently bump into a level 99 nightmare, there wouldn’t be much I could do.”

Shaking her head at this Penny explains further, “No the barrens isn’t that bad. The high level monsters stay towards the interior. Most you will find on the edge is around level 10 to 17 with the occasional level 24. Once a monster breaks through the third bottleneck they will either head further in or leave the barrens entirely. We had  scholars check it out and there seems to be a strange aura to the place. This aura seems to support the monsters and most of them become dependent on this aura so at higher levels they go inward. However, the occasional oddity will end up allergic to it and leave. Luckily most of the time they head straight into the rabbits because of the easy prey and eventually fall to the rabbit queens. Some don’t and that is how we end up with things like owlbears. Though that only counts for the local owlbears. I don’t know what it is about crazy wizards combining owls and bears. Anyway, with your skills you should be okay if your careful. I wouldn’t advise this route but as your a Traveller a bit more danger will help you progress faster with no permanent consequences.”

“Right, I got it. More danger and if I die try again. Not exactly the most original plan but then again if it works why change it. Hopefully, I get to fight something that challenges my skills and not just my speed. Though it would be just my luck to show up there and all the monsters are alligators and frogs. Rosha and James would get a good laugh out of that. The very monsters I wanted to avoid only for me to show up at the random monster hotspot and have the barrens covered in them.” Jason just sighs after saying that.

Giggling at the thought Penny packs up the map. “Well, that is as much as I can help you. While I would love to do more, there is a limit on what I can do because of my position. Can’t be shown to have too much favoritism as the local guild master. You seem packed already so let me congratulate you on having gotten out of a tricky situation and wish you good luck on your travels!”

“Thank you, I will take all the luck I can get. Have a good day.”, and Jason shows her out of the room.

Things I wanted to mention but didn’t:

I didn’t do a good job of describing them here but my inspiration for the rock spires are the mountain land cards from Time Spiral. Though in this case they are more grey and tan rather than a reddish color.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=118921

56