Chapter 16 – Unexpected Turn of Event
163 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mu Cheng had lived in the city lord's manor for 3 months now. Mu Cheng never neglected his daily training, every morning at 4 am, Mu Cheng would practice Tai Chi for half an hour. Although the vitality was most abundant in the first 15 minutes, it would slowly dissipate, and only after another 15 minutes would all the vitality disperse.

"My attributes have increased by 0.1 in strength, agility, and vitality in 3 months. That makes 0.4 per year and in ten years 4 points? Hm... But Grandpa Fu had been practicing Tai Chi all his life and his attributes only average at 2 points. Does that mean training gives diminishing returns? Or is there a big difference between being a grandmaster or not? Grandpa Fu has trained all his life and his Tai Chi is level 8." Mu Cheng pondered. But what he did not know was that the memories and experiences of several decades of practicing Tai Chi were not simply the experience of practicing half an hour every day as he and Grandpa Fu do.

Instead, they were like a normal martial artist's experiences, they would train several hours every day. Thus what Mu Cheng received was memories and experiences more than Grandpa Fu's lifetime of Tai Chi practice.

At first, Wei Qianqian had been interested in Mu Cheng's morning practice, but Tai Chi was something very popular among the elderly on Earth. Tai Chi was not like martial arts training and required very slow motions and was more like morning exercise for the elderly to stay healthy.

Wei Qianqian easily got bored and tired of the boring practice, and especially after waking up 4 am with a cranky mood. Well, the biggest complaint she had was waking up so early. It only took three days for her to give up on Tai Chi.

The servants in the manor called Mu Cheng 'Young master', but Mu Cheng wasn't sure if it was because they thought he was a noble's son or due to the city lord's commands. But the city lord never mentioned about adoption and Mu Cheng never got to meet him again.

Mu Cheng was still being treated like a guest and he wasn't restricted in any way. He was also allowed to browse some books to read. Mu Cheng learned there are five countries named Blue, Green, Red, Gold and White Country. Mu Cheng now understood that Blue Haw Village and Blue Moon City were part of Blue Country. It seems to be the norm to add the country's name to any village and city.

And due to there being five countries, all the countries had to share territories so all the countries were quite small. But what confused Mu Cheng was that they were actually living on an island. The island was called Xiling Sealing Island. But there was no information about any continents or mainlands. Mu Cheng also did not find any books about martial arts. Therefore he was suspicious of whether the city lord was purposely withholding important information.

...

In the city lord's office. The City Lord, Wei Lifeng and his most trusted subordinate, the captain of the manor's guards, Shi Jiaxin were sitting alone in the room.

"Jiaxin, what do you think of the boy, Su Yihan?" The city lord took a sip of his tea and asked.

"During these 3 months, he has been quite interested in books and martial arts. But he's very clueless and ignorant of the world. He has also asked about learning martial arts." The captain was a very burly and muscular man, just looking at his strong body gave others a sense of security.

"That's not weird, the boy's just 6 years old orphan." The City Lord said indifferently.

"Lord, are you planning to let the boy be the heir? The boy is quite intelligent, he is still young with the right education, he will be steadfast and loyal to the family. But the heir should be of Lord's blood..." The captain said hesitantly.

"I never said Su Yihan would inherit my position. But his presence will ease the pressure from Li family and the branch family. They are like vultures eyeing my position ever since Fang'er went missing." The city lord explained.

"Lord intends to remarry then?" The captain said in surprise. Since the city lord intends to adopt Su Yihan but not let him inherit his position, it could only mean that the city lord remarries and have another heir.

"Enough! Ling'er isn't dead! I'll find her! Definitely! Then we'll have another child..." The city lord got agitated.

Seeing how agitated the city lord got, the captain did not dare mention about remarrying again.

Their discussion continued for some time. The city lord had no intentions for Su Yihan to inherit his position, but use him to put out the fire. Both the Wei branch family and Li family were coveting the city lord's position, bringing him great trouble already. If people were to stir up trouble, they would most likely target Su Yihan first, as the adopted son, he had the right to inherit the city lord's position. Another reason was that Su Yihan was really young, even if there were people wanting to stir up trouble, they would not feel threatened by the 6-year-old boy and could patiently wait. Atleast, by adopting Su Yihan, the city lord could gain a few years of peace.

...

Unexpectedly, Mu Cheng got adopted by the city lord and the news spread throughout the city.

"Congratulations little brother!" Wei Qianqian was joyous.

Mu Cheng's status changed, he moved into his own new room and even got his own personal maid and servants. The city lord also got him a tutor to educate him noble etiquette, history, and poems. He was also now allowed into his adoptive father's study room and freely browse the books.

"I did start getting worried after staying over 3 months, but to think it went so well even without me doing anything..." Mu Cheng still felt it was like a dream. He had originally thought he had failed and was preparing whether to move on to another city when he gets kicked out after freeloading for so long. But unexpectedly, he actually got adopted just like that.

Mu Cheng's schedule was now practicing Tai Chi early in the morning, then being taught swordsmanship by the captain of the guards. After that, his tutor would teach him for two hours, then it was free time. Usually, during free time, Mu Cheng would play with Wei Qianqian or stroll around in the city.

The servants in the manor now started serving lunch for Mu Cheng and Wei Qianqian. Originally, in ancient times, people only ate breakfast and dinner. But being the glutton, under Mu Cheng's insistence, the servants were helpless and could only follow his order as the young master of the house. Wei Qianqian also liked eating lunch and now the two of them would always each lunch every day.

...

3 Years later.

A young boy was running away from an old scholar with a white beard.

"Damn you! Young master Yihan! Get back here! You've already skipped lessons for 3 months now!" The old scholar yelled angrily.

"Nope, I'm busy. It's time to eat brunch!" Mu Cheng turned his head around and made a face.

"There's no brunch meal! I've never heard of it before!" The old scholar gave up chasing and panted heavily.

"Well, there is now starting from today." Mu Cheng said merrily after seeing his tutor unable to catch up to him.

The people in the manor had already gotten used to the little boy eating more food than his own body size and yet not getting fat at all. Mu Cheng did not know the reason either but felt like it was attributed to his strong physique. As such he had no worries enjoying lavish meals.

Mu Cheng had just finished his meal and walked out of the dining hall with a smile. He suddenly heard hurried footsteps approaching him, looking around he saw a servant approach.

"Young master! Young master! We've found a lead to a martial arts sect!" The servant reported and handed over a bunch of documents.

"What?! That's great!" Mu Cheng hurriedly received the documents and started reading them.

Mu Cheng had asked about learning martial arts before, but even in the city, the level of martial arts was pretty low. The best swordsmanship the city lord's manor had was Blue Moon Swordsmanship that the captain of the city guards personally taught Mu Cheng.

Mu Cheng had learned Blue Moon Swordsmanship for a long time and also shown how talented he was, the captain and his adoptive father had greatly praised his talent as well. Mu Cheng had also raised his request for more martial arts, but he only received a bunch of third-rated trash martial arts, none of which could pique his interest. Therefore he had ordered some servants and guards to help him find information about martial artists and their gathering.

Actually, Mu Cheng had a hunch that the strong martial artists did not mix with the common people, he had inspected the guards and servants. And their average physical attributes(excluding intelligence) were between 1 to 1.8 points, while the elite guards around 2 points. Only his adoptive father and the city guard captain had the highest attributes. His adoptive father's attributes averaged at 2.7 while the captain's averaged at 2.9

If the city lord's manor really had better martial arts, their physical attribute would atleast be much higher.

"In Featherbranch Cliff. I'll have to travel across Green Country." Mu Cheng muttered quietly. Featherbranch Cliff was located at the edge of Green Country's border. And Green Country was situated northeast of Blue Country. Since the five countries in Xiling Sealing Island were all quite small. Mu Cheng estimated his traveling time to be around two months if he also flew.

"Go prepare me a bag with dried food rations for traveling and also some clothes and daily necessities." Mu Cheng ordered the servant.

"Yes, Young master!" The servant bowed and left.

Mu Cheng also went to his room to prepare for his travel to Featherbranch Cliff. A few days passed as Mu Cheng finished his preparations.

During dinner, the family sat in the dining hall.

"Su Yihan, I heard you're preparing to travel to Featherbranch Cliff." The city lord said calmly.

"Yes, there should be traces to a martial arts sect there. I hope to join a sect and learn martial arts." Mu Cheng nodded.

"No! Yihan don't leave! Big sis will be lonely without you!" Wei Qianqian's eyes turned wet. The two of them played together daily and were like best friends. Due to her high social status, it was difficult for her to make friends. With the Li family and Wei branch family showing hostility, there really wasn't anyone she could befriend with similar status.

"Sigh. Big sis, you know how long I've been searching for martial arts. I really have to go. But don't worry, I'll come back and visit you." Mu Cheng sighed. At first he had only played together with Wei Qianqian to get close to her in hopes of getting adopted. But he wasn't foolish enough to just suddenly stop being friendly with her just because he got adopted. That would just make him too suspicious. So he got used to playing together with Wei Qianqian every day.

"Mhm. With Yihan's talent, it would be a waste to not learn first-rate martial arts. I'll have a squad of guards follow you." The city lord said.

"Father, I don't need the guards. You know how strong I am now. I'll be fine with some money and a horse." Mu Cheng had too many secrets and did not want others to follow him.

The city lord went silent for a few moments and pondered "It's been a few years. Those people must be itching to act by now. It doesn't matter whether I send guards or not if they really want Su Yihan dead. Sigh, I never imagined him having such martial talent, if he does manage to join a martial arts sect, making him inherit my position wouldn't be impossible..."

"Alright. I'll have housekeeper Wang bring you some silver for your travel." The city lord said.

Suddenly, hurried footsteps approached the dining hall. A flustered servant with an elated expression hurriedly ran up to the city lord.

"My Lord! T-t-the young master Fang is alive! He's back!" The servant hurriedly reported with joy.

"What?! Fang'er is alive?! He's here?" The city lord stood up with glee.

"Yes! Yes! My Lord, young master Fang just entered the manor!" The servant replied.

"Quick! Bring me to Fang'er!" The city lord ordered.

The servant quickly led the city lord out.

"Big brother is- is still alive! Thank god! Yihan, quick let's follow father!" Wei Qianqian cried tears of joy, she quickly pulled Mu Cheng's sleeve and ran after her father.

In the courtyard, the city lord was hugging a 17-year-old youth with tears in his eyes.

"Father! Your son has been unfilial and not returned home earlier." The youth said with tears rolling down his face.

"No, no, no. It's father that's useless and could not protect Fang'er. It's great that you're back." Wei Lifang shook his head and caressed the youth's face.

"Big brother!" Wei Qianqian jumped forward and hugged the youth.

"Qianqian! I missed you so much! Look how much you've grown!" The youth smiled and lifted the girl and spun his body once.

"Hahaha! Today is a happy day. Let's celebrate! I'll have the chef cook a sumptuous meal!" Wei Lifeng laughed.

"Father, we already ate dinner though..." Wei Qianqian said after feeling her full stomach.

"Hehehe! I agree!" Mu Cheng licked his lips. Although he was shocked that the former son which everyone had thought had died to suddenly appear. Mu Cheng never had his eyes on the city lord's position, so he did not care at all.

 

4