Chapter 17: Buying Someone(2)
469 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My mother was getting irritated at the hooligans who were trying to increase the price of the young girl. My mother, whose face was always plastered with a gentle smile, now looked solemn and cold. You can see how much she detests the slave merchants.

"I will give you 50 gold coins." She then looked at the people as if their only reply is accepting the deal. 50 gold coins is a lot of money in this era. A normal slave would normally cost 3-5gold coins. 50 gold coins are considered for high priced merchandise. Young elves are already sold at this price.

The men eyes lit up as they heard the amount my mother was willing to pay. They then removed the child from her shackles and handed us a magic contract. Using a simple incantation and drop of blood the contract was now bound to the owner. My mother was about to prick her own finger when I used the blood that was already flowing from my hands to seal the contract.

My mother looked at me wide-eyed, trying to scrutinize me, as this was the first time I asked for something and was so willful. She did not say anything as she kept the magic contract and threw away a pouch with the gold coins towards the men.

One of the men then hurriedly looked at the contents and made sure it was the right amount. They left as fast as they came, they happily went back to where they came from once they received the large amount of money.

My mother was about to walk away too was suddenly tugged on her robe, I looked up at her with dewy wide eyes and made me request, "please heal her she is hurt." I pointed towards the girl when I said this, the girl tensed up again when I said that, but with a simple, "it's alright." I was able to coax her.

My mother then used the heal spell on the child and called everybody to go back to the mansion. The girl was fidgeting as she does not know what to do, so I held her hand and lead her to where our carriage is. I wanted to heal her myself when I saw her injury, however, with all the secrecy my grandmother went through all the trouble with. I did not want to be the center of attention and put all her hard work and preparations for naught.

As I look at the girl again, I can see that her hair was black, although it was matted with dirt, mud and disheveled, you can still see a glint of black. Her face was covered by dried up mud, sweat, and tears. Her clothing, as if it could be called like that, looks like a much worn out sack of potatoes that you cut out holes for the arms and legs. From her body size, I guessed she was 2-3 years older than me. Her body was covered with scars, although the bleeding has stopped, it takes a higher tier of light magic to remove the scars. We can slowly do that at the mansion.

It was a shame that nobody in the carriage knows water magic as the little girls stink to high heavens. Although she smelled, my mother did not say anything while my sister was only looking full with curiosity. I really admire these two people who are not acting arrogant at all to this poor child. The child was now sitting at the corner of the carriage trying to shrink herself, making herself as little as possible. It's as if she does not want her dirt or smell to spread in the carriage. I who still was holding her hand did not mind her smell and still calmly sit beside her with a gentle smile, I did not try to talk with her but when she tries to look at the side of my face, I would look at her and smile. This seemed to calm her down a lot.

When we finally got to the mansion, my mother said, "Max, she is your responsibility now since you wanted to buy her. Do you understand?" My mother was serious when she said this, it was the first time she talked to me like that as if she was talking to an adult.

"Yes, mother," I replied. I then took her to my room and ask for assistance from two maids who are designated to my room. Hot water was prepared as they helped her clean up all the dirt and stains on her body. It took a while before they were able to get her cleaned up and remove the smell. The environment she was locked up into must be really bad, as I think about other people and races who have become slaves for the sake of the nobles fetishes, it angered me. It doesn't matter what race you are, as long as the nobles put their eyes on you, you will be taken as a slave. The poor and weak people are the ones who suffer first as they do not have any means to fight back.

I went out of the room, it seems it will take a while for her to finish up, so I decided to go to my mother's and ask her about incantations that are appropriate for my current level. Since I was not able to complete the set of tests, I would also like to ask her about her promise on learning swordsmanship. Although learning magic is said to be the most prestigious and respected trade, I still believe that learning hand to hand combat and swordsmanship will also be helpful when fighting. Like today, although I wanted to use magic to help the little girl, I couldn't, because I did not know what the consequences would be if I use any magic, whichever tier it might be.

Another glaring problem that I've realized is that light magic is not effective against other people unless I can come up with a type of magic that can make me immortal. One on one fight between a light mage and another type of element or aura user is impossible as our magic is focused on healing types and dark magic.

2