Chapter 18: Asking
454 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sfx * knock knock knock*

"Mother this is Max, may I come in," Max asked after knocking on the door. He straightened his clothes while waiting for his mothers' response.

"Come in."

I walked inside the room as I found her sitting on a chair while holding a magic book of incantations on her hand, she then closes it, put it down on the table and looked at me. "What's wrong Max?" she asked.

"Mother, I would like to learn swordsmanship," I said seriously while looking at my mother.

"Why so sudden Max?" she asked while looking at his sons' expression.

"Today, when I was faced against those people from the slave merchants, I've realized that although I had light magic, it wasn't enough." I've tried to explain myself as much as possible.

"Why do you say that?" Mother asked questioningly.

"I cannot protect myself from their swords if they attack," I said.

"Then do not provoke people who are stronger than you, the strong rule while the weak follow. That is human nature. The strong are looked upon while the weak look down the ground and show respect." Mother said.

"They might be strong, but there will come a time where I need to protect myself or the ones I love. It does not mean that the strong is always right, sometimes they do bad things to the weak." I said full of determination.

"Do you mean like the little girl on the streets that the slave merchants were after?" Mother asked seriously.

"Yes, she is weak, however, she wanted to fight against the strong for her freedom," I said.

"Tell me, Max, what do you think would have happened to the little girl if you did not interfere? Do you think other people will help her if she begs?"

"I do not know, but even if it means death, one should not yield especially if they are not wrong."

"Then Max, if you become strong, are you going to save people like her?"

I wanted to say yes, however, the people have followed the rules of the kingdom for decades. Change is not something that can be done in a moment. It will take simple steps yet the person spearheading this will carry a heavy responsibility. I kept quiet and just look at my mother's eyes full of determination. I thought about my words and said, "Yes, if I have the power. I would have done something."

"But Max if we and the other mages were not around to support you, what do you think would have happened? You might have died without being able to take a stand, do you think the strong will listen to words when they can use their powers to make you obey?" it felt like mother was not asking but implying with her words.

"Son you are still young." Mother sighed, however, her next words surprised me. "I will find a teacher for you who will teach you proper swordsmanship. You're kind Max, however, that kindness might lead you to trouble in the future. You want to meddle in affairs that you should not. Don't you want to live a peaceful life, away from troubles and hardships?" Mother asked once again.

"Is it not hardships that makes a person stronger?" I said while grinning.

"Fine, go back for now and I'll tell your father when he returns." Mother said while shooing me away.

As I left her room and walked down the corridor, I was replaying the words that she had said. I also agree with her when she said that I was a meddlesome person. If I kept my mouth shut and did not move, then no trouble will come to me. If I stay inside the mansion then I will be safe, but that is for now. From what I have heard today, trouble will come my way whether I like it or not. It is not just the little girls' situation that triggered my decision to learn as fast as possible. It was also the way the 3 grand mages looked at me when they have learned my potential and my spirit partner Lumi. It seems my magic will cause big waves once it was found out.

Inside of Anna's room

"You taught your son well Anna." A person suddenly walked out from the shadows.

"Thank you, but he had always been well-mannered inside the mansion. I never expected him to act that way once he gets out of my sight." Anna said.

A hearty laugh was heard from the person and said, "It does not matter if he acts recklessly from time to time, boys are like that, however, I would not have seen him in a better light if he was some spoiled rich kid who does not show compassion to his fellow men." The man said in a dignified tone.

"He has the guts to face hardships and he is willing to learn. Most kids who learn they have potential in magic would tend to focus on magic entirely, however, his situation is different Anna." The person from the shadows looked Anna in the eye seriously and said, "The results from the test will be kept a secret for now, but, we cannot always protect him. Once he grows up and sees the world he will experience dangers. You too have experienced it yourself so you should be aware of this."

"Light magic is different from the attack base styles of the other elements, him learning swordsmanship and self-defense will help him survive." Said the person who was hiding from the shadows.

"That is true, once the demon race finds out Max's ability, they might come to kill him before he develops into a bigger obstruction to their race," Anna replied.

While Max was going back to his room pondering about the words her mother said, the two people talking with each other were making plans on how to make Max improve on both light magic and swordsmanship.

2