Chapter 20: Little Slave’s thoughts (1)
465 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A child bought me today. From the hundreds of people that I begged for help to save me, this child was the only one who approached me. I who was dirty, filthy and a slave. Most people avoided me, while others look on with disdain.

The slave merchants were busy that day as there was an auction for the nobles on the afternoon. While they were busy preparing the "merchandise" that will be shown at the auction, we the lowest kind of merchandise was left unattended. While I was hugging myself at the corner, the other children were planning as they want to escape this shit hole. I who had no place I can return to was not interested in the slightest, however, the other kids were different. Some of them have families, while others have places they called home. I do not have one, a place called home, a place where I can return to, a place filled with love.

I have none.

When the child asked me, what was a name?

I have none.

If asked why? Then I myself do not know. I do not have any memories of my parents, only the ramblings from the people of my old town. As young as I can remember, the people who were supposed to be my kin have detested me. The story of my family was well known in our town as I was considered as an abomination. My mother is from the demon race, she was a succubus. She was a former soldier who fought on the front lines against humankind, however, she was captured and was used as a plaything by her captors. As succubus are known as beautiful, seductive and possess what men like, she was not killed instead was used to relieve their stress.

She then escaped her captors when they were in the midst of an attack and was able to return to her small town and live in peace, away from wars. However, she was already pregnant at the time. The town's people thought that her child was of their race so they accepted her back with open arms like a hero. She did not tell the people what had happened to her, she was scared of the consequences.

Although she kept silent, the time for the baby to be delivered came. And that was where everything fell apart for her and for me. The baby was different, the features were that of a human rather than a succubus. Although succubae look the same as humans, they have horns, wings and a tail. It was a glaring problem as I did not have any of that.

I said to be mother tried to explain but her people did not listen. They had a public execution that same day as they beheaded her, while her remains were burned and nothing remained but ashes. They did not give her a proper burial as that would be considered blasphemy. This is how the demon race view having relations with humankind. They detest the humans, therefore me looking as one was not considered one of their own. They too wanted to kill me however, one of them decided to sell me to the slave merchants telling them I was captured and not one of their own.

While I was waiting for that dreaded day, the demons in that town reminded me of my situation every single day. It was as if it was a daily ritual. They would rain curses at me, throw stones, kick me. As far as I can remember, I was abused by them. They never forget the reason as they would always relay the same story, over, and over, and over again. They hurt me but never to the extent of killing me.

One day the slave merchants came, I was 6 at the time, as much as they detest humankind, once it was for their own benefits, they would accept them with open arms. The merchants and townspeople had an agreement. I was sold for three silver coins.

Yes, that was how much my life was worth.

We traveled away from the borders of the demon race, beyond the dunes of Asynth, to the land of the humans. I did not have any feelings about leaving that place. I was not expecting much from being a slave as everyone was cruel. They were all the same.

And now we are back to where the children in the same situation as me were talking. Our hands were tied but our feet were not shackled. The slave traders wanted the merchandise to be able to move at once when the deals are done.

One of the children was a son of a blacksmith, therefore, he knew where to find the weakness of the chains. This boosted the confidence of the children in escaping.

Sfx*snap clink clink*

Once the chain that was tied to everyone was removed, the children all ran in different directions. I was the last person at the end of the chain, as I saw it fall down the floor, I looked up and saw the backs of the children running everywhere. The light shining on their backs look magnificent, while I was huddled in darkness they were facing the sunlight, trying to regain their freedom.

"Freedom"

It was such an unfamiliar word to me, as I was always a prisoner. The people from that town were my captors, the slave merchants were the same.

How does it feel to be free?

As I was thinking, my body had finally gotten the strength to run towards the light. As I was running, there was already a commotion from the outside. Some children were caught, some killed while a lot were hurt. However, I did not stop my steps as I continue to run.

I was shouting for help.

For the first time in my life, I begged for help from anyone.

I was in despair as I looked at the people full of disdain looking at me. They walked away, moved aside or looked away. As I was losing hope, I fell from all the running, all the strength that was in my body disappeared. The sounds of the angry guards of the merchants were getting nearer while the people were panicking and running away, someone stepped on me and I can't stand and move any further.

It was the end, I thought to myself.

I did my best, but sometimes your best is never enough.

2