Chapter 29: Rumours
394 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max continued his training

In the mornings he would run on the training grounds

After which his master will get him and they would go to the forests to run some more.

In the evenings he studied light magic and spent time with his family. The process was a repetitive one but it did not mean it was easy.

He still persisted to finish the training course without using his aura. He still practiced using his aura to help his eyesight and he started learning healing magic that could fully recover from fatigue.

The damn gorilla monkey has some impressive movement skills and could slip like an eel. For a gorilla monkey to know how to use feints was definitely an eye opener for Max.

Although he was facing difficulties, he did not bother his master from his meditation and continued on relying on his own understanding.

At Max's room, night time

Alicia suddenly barged into Max's room without knocking.

Max who saw Alicia smiled and said, "How are you sister?" He put down the book he was reading and looked at his sister. She was now considered as an adult in this world, however, to Max she is still a teenager.

Alicia went straight to Max and gave him a hug. She looked straight into Max's eyes and said, "Max, it's about time. I'll be starting to go to school when I turn 15."

"We have to go to a school. Why?" Max asked with a questioning look. He always wondered about schools in this world but since his sister did not go to one, he thought it wasn't necessary. He did hear from Lyla that commoners have schools they go to.

Alicia stared at her cute but ignorant brother and said, "You see Max, we as nobles learn everything at home as we can afford private teachers, however, commoners do not have that option so they go to schools at younger ages. For nobles, it becomes mandatory to go to one when they turn 15. It is a way to build relationships with other nobles. In other words, it's just for the status symbol. You think I want to go to one with the kind of immature bratty nobles around? I'd rather stay at home and train with the soldiers here."

"I see. So where is the school at?" Max asked.

"It's here in the capital," Alicia said with her charming smile.

"So you won't have to go far," Max said.

"Yes," Alicia answered.

"Then why are you telling me this like you have to go to some faraway place?" Max asked with confusion.

Alicia wanted to say something but closed her mouth instead. She then said, "won't you miss me when I'm gone?" with her usual prideful voice.

"Will you be staying there on the weekdays?" Max asked.

"No, I'll still come back after school," Alicia answered. She was starting to feel lonely and defeated as her little brother seems to be pulling away from her. Unlike before who used to follow her like a dog. She looked sad and downcast.

Max noticed her sister's reaction and said, "I'm not going anywhere sister so we can still see each other every day right?" He said with a gentle smile and looked at her with sincere eyes.

Alicia hugged her little brother tightly and said, "That's right."

Max hugged back her sister while patting her back saying, "There, there."

Lyla who was looking at the spectacle couldn't help but smile. She was wondering if Alicia was really the older one with the way they are interacting. She also wondered if Alicia will be able to find a husband for herself. Alicia looked like the child who did not want to go to school and be separated from her brother.

Alicia finally stopped hugging Max and suddenly said, "Don't bother about the people talking things behind your back."

"Huh, what do you mean?" Max looked confused again as if Alicia said something alien.

"Erm, you know." Alicia's eyes were swirling about looking for a way out. She looked at Lyla as if asking for help but Lyla ignored her and giggled. Her eyes as if saying,"You dug your own grave."

"Well, you have been too focused with your training and you haven't been going around the capital right?" Alicia said.

"Yes, I'm too busy and I'd rather spend time with you guys than go out," Max said.

Alicia felt warm in her heart when Max said that, but she was still having a hard time on how to explain what she said. She gave a sigh and continued, "You see there are rumors about you." She looked at Max and from his reaction, it seems he doesn't know about it.

"And you haven't been interacting with the other nobles or even the people so they are saying you are lacking in the head and you have a disability." Alicia tried to say it slowly, carefully even. She was trying to see what Max's reaction would be, but it was still the same calm gaze as if he didn't care.

"Well, grandmother and mother did keep a tight lid on what's going on in the mansion so I guess that's about right," Max said like what he heard was not relevant to him.

It was now Alicia's turn to be confused and said, "and rumors say that you are talentless with no talent in magic since you did not pass at the age of 5." Alicia saw that Max still look calm.

"And you were not betrothed to anyone because of this." This time there was a little reaction from Max.

"You mean because I'm stupid and talentless so I don't have a fiancé?" Max said.

"Yes." Alicia was starting to get bothered at his brother's nonchalance so she asked, "Are you not worried at all? This is your reputation you know."

"I was only wondering why I don't have a fiancé but you already answered the question. I think it is for the best, I'd rather not be betrothed to a superficial woman who only desires my family wealth and status." Max said this without a care in the world while the two ladies were surprised at his answer as he was not even 10 years old.

"You're not worried that you might not be able to marry any noble in this kingdom?" Alicia asked again.

"Don't care, someday someone will still love the stupid and talentless me." Max laugh out loud with his answer. The two saw his reaction and they felt that he was saying the truth about the matter.

3