Chapter 41: Adventure (8)
352 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The girl opened her eyes and looked around her surroundings. She found the young boy lying beside her, asleep.

She checked her condition, and to her surprise, she was fine, to be truthful she was feeling better.

Two people in black cloaks can be seen talking in hush tones in a corner. She was afraid to talk with them, not wanting to offend the people that might have saved her life. The boy beside her started to move and open his eyes too. Same as the girl, he tried looking around, he also found the 2 people wearing black cloaks, he hurriedly checked the girl beside him, wondering if she was alright.

Nodding at each other as if confirming themselves, the slowly looked at the two people huddled in the corner, discussing something in hushed tones.

The young boy stood up and cautiously approached the two, he bowed his head and said, "Thank you for saving our lives." He was peeking at the reaction of the two people, however, their faces were covered in masks, which makes it hard for him to see their expressions.

The young girl also appeared near the boy and did the same thing, "Thank you for saving us. My name is Sally and he is Alex, we are bronze ranked adventurers." Sally said.

Max and Lyla looked at the two people when they introduced themselves. They both nodded at each other then Max spoke, "My name is Mark and she is my partner Lisa, we are both bronze ranked adventurers."

Sally and Alex both had a surprised look on their faces when they heard this, they thought the two were higher ranked adventurers, as they were able to handle the sonic bats and the jumping spider without any problems. "Thank you once again for saving us, uhmm, do you happen to have any food you can spare," Alex asked with a wry smile, while Sally tugging at Alex's clothes from behind, trying to stop him from saying more to avoid any unnecessary trouble.

Max tossed two sandwiches and a container of water to the two without any hesitation. Although he was still suspicious of the two people, simply giving them food was simple enough for him. He was not sure if they were bad people in the first place.

Alex fumbled with catching the items, he was not expecting for them to give them food and water easily.

It was known that once you step into the dungeons, you have to look after yourselves. Helpful adventurers are few and far between, most have ulterior motives for helping other adventurers inside the dungeon. But since He and Sally did not have anything with them, he thought of their help as kindness from fellow adventurers, with another bow Alex said, "Thank you very much sir."

Alex drank from the water container before passing it to Sally, he did the same thing with the sandwich. It was still better to be careful, he thought to himself. Although he appreciated their kindness, he could not understand why these two people had to hide their identities, which makes them highly suspicious.

Max was still observing the two peoples action, from how Alex handled the situation it seems that he has a cautious personality. He wondered how these two people got into trouble on the third floor with their cautious attitudes.

Lyla could not help herself and asked a question, "What happened?"

It was a simple question, Sally flinched when she heard the sudden question while Alex calmly looked at the person who asked the question.

Alex looked serious and said, "We carefully entered the third floor by scouting for the monsters. To be honest, this is not the first time that we have entered the third floor. We both used the highly sensitive senses of the bats to our advantage by luring them into a trap. I am a swordsman, so I used myself as bait by making noises, while Sally is a fire attribute magician and waits in ambush not far away."

Lyla was listening to Alex's explanation and thought she might be able to use the same tactic. She was a bit disappointed with herself for not using her knowledge of the monster to her advantage.

Max, on the other hand, nodded his head in agreement and thought to himself, that was the best thing small parties can do, by luring monsters into a trap, it would be easier for them to defeat monsters that way. One can always use one's environment and knowledge to his advantage.

Alex continued and said "While we were doing so, we were able to defeat the bats that were coming our way, however, to our surprise the jumping spider ambushed us without waiting for me and Sally to be paralyzed. It was a known fact that these creatures would only attack if their victims are in a stunned or paralyzed state."

"Using our number to our advantage, I attack in close quarters to cover for Sally's position as she recites her incantation for her attack. It took a lot of time and a few potions but we were able to defeat the jumping spider. While we were both tired from the fighting, another group of sonic bats suddenly appeared and paralyzed us. What is weird is that groups of sonic bats usually have designated areas per group. It was weird to have two groups near each other as the jumping spiders are very dominant and protective of their own areas." Alex was clenching his fists as he told his story.

Lyla was shocked internally but immediately calmed herself and asked again to confirm what Alex said, "Are you saying that there were two groups of sonic bats and jumping spider in the same area?"

"Yes." Alex said with a definitive nod.

Max held his chin, but all he could touch was his mask. He was thinking of a plausible reason why there was a sudden change of the ecosystem in the dungeon. Although it was not conclusive, it was better for them to be careful and look into it themselves.

2