Chapter 55: Front-line (3)
284 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max walked out of his room and headed to his mother's room to bid his mother goodbye. His mother gave him a big hug and her well wishes before letting him go.

His sister Alicia acted her age when Max bid his goodbye. She did not act like a child and persist to accompany Max.

"Please take care of Lyla. She seemed downhearted when I left," Max said to his sister as she was the only one he could ask this favor.

"Don't worry about Lyla. The mansion is safe so no one will pick any trouble here. You worry about yourself. Make sure to think before you act, don't be too hasty with your decisions." Alicia hugged his brother while giving her advice.

As an older sister, she was still worried about his younger brother going out in the world even though she knew how much her brother had improved his strength.

Max nodded his head as confirmation that he understood what his sister meant. He was not worried about Lyla because he knew his sister will take good care of her. It was one of her traits that Max knew well, she has always treated Lyla as part of the family since they were young, therefore her sister would protect Lyla the same way as she would protect him.

"Let's go Max. Dawn is upon us," His Master Evander spoke.

Max went beside his Master but was a bit lost as his Master did bring out a tamed flying beast that they can ride. Thinking about it, his Master appeared without any signs of a tamed beast with him.

"Don't tell me…" Max had a faint feeling in his heart that this was not going to be one of those sight-seeing and leisurely adventures on the road like what he had always read in his past life.

"Master…" He looked at his Master with hope in his eyes which shattered in an instance when his Master spoke.

"We will be running towards our destination. You will have to move at the same speed as me. I do not like delays." His Master said steadily.

"This is impossible, fast flying beasts take 4-5 days of flying to reach the frontlines from the capital. How in the world will they be able to arrive at their destination with the same speed by running?" These thoughts ran through Max's head.

As experience and common sense from previous mistakes told him, he should never ask, doubt or question his Master's words or he will suffer the consequences. He remembered how his grandmother only took 2 days to fly to him when he was unconscious, but she used a special tamed flying beast who did not take any rest to reach him.

"Don't tell me Master wants to travel with that same speed?" These thoughts once again crossed Max's mind but he never spoke them out loud. He just looked at his Master with pleading eyes.

As if being able to see the pleading gaze of his disciple his Master said, "We will be traveling for three days. Do not worry we will rest at night." His Master looked proud of the decision he had made as if the concession to provide his disciple to be always in peak condition was enough.

Max almost choke on his saliva as he heard this but seeing his Master's proud look, he could only swallow his words and give out a cheerful smile to show how appreciative he is to his Master's decision.

His Master, looking at the smile on Max's face felt that his disciple understood his good intentions and started to run. Once Max saw his Master's speed, he was left agape with his mouth wide open.

However, he did not have the time to gawk at his Master's figure which has already disappeared from his sight. He could not even look back at his family behind him, afraid that once he blinks his Master's silhouette would disappear like a ghost.

He started to run at the fastest speed he could muster. He started to direct his aura to his legs to induce running, it did not fail him as he was able to let him keep up his Master but he did not know how long he could keep up this pace.

Their surroundings turned as fast as a blur, Max was not able to appreciate the greenery as they pass by. He was not even sure of the locations or their bearings as his sole focus was the back of his Master.

Max did not know for how long they have run but his breathing had become haggard. This was the first time in years that he has suffered from lack of oxygen in his lungs. Even when he fought the demon, he did not feel this tired. He felt like he was running out of gas as his feet felt as heavy as lead with every step he takes.

"A couple more steps… Just a couple more steps…" Max kept repeating in his head, trying to motivate himself to take more steps to avoid thinking about the pain he was feeling in his lungs and body.

A couple of minutes later, there was a sudden "thud" as Max's body fell heavily on the ground.

"He lasted longer than expected. What do you think Preya?" His Master was looking at his tamed beast which was standing on his shoulder.

The monkey looked at Max with disdain while making "Huu huu" sounds. It was as if it was saying how he was not to its standard and could have done better.

"Hahaha… It seems my disciple has improved once again," His Master carried him to a nearby tree and sat him while he slept. His Master made a bonfire next to his disciple without fear of any beasts appearing in his surroundings.

Max did not even notice that the surrounding turned dark when he fainted. He had ran for a whole day without rest.

2