Chapter 57: Front-line (5)
277 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Preya had a sudden glint in her eyes when she noticed Max was not paying attention. She leaped from her Master's shoulder and headed for Max's face.

Max was still thinking of how he could probably ask Lumi to help him however there was a sudden silhouette in front of him. He was surprised by the sudden attack, all he could do was take it head on as it was too close when he realized it. The small silhouette suddenly turned into a big one, and with a swoosh sound Preya attacked with a straight punch to Max's face.

Max used both of his arms to cover his face, unfortunately, the attack did not come but a seeming shadow passed through his defense and hit him square in the stomach. Max went flying due to the force of the punch, he slid and left some marks on the ground.

Max tasted a metallic taste in his mouth. He spits the blood on the ground, he almost vomited the food that he ate. He immediately chanted a healing spell to heal his aching body. Preya was making "hek hek" sounds while hitting her lap as if she found everything amusing.

Sfx *whistle*

Both of them turned stiff as they heard the whistle. Preya turned back to her monkey form and ran as fast as lightning, heading towards the sound of the whistle, she did not even bother with Max.

It was their Master's call, it meant they had to head to his place without delay or both of them would suffer the consequences. Max followed behind Preya, he did not want to lose sight of the slippery and cunning monkey. He swore he'd definitely take his revenge and that there won't be a next time for her to sneak attack him.

Max's Master was waiting under the shade of a tree. It was his decision that Preya should attack Max when he was pre-occupied. Max has good perception and combat ability but there are times that he is too comfortable that he forgets his surroundings. He wanted Max to be always in a state of caution, he wanted to let Max know that there are enemies hidden everywhere who can attack you at any moment without notice.

Now that Max will be known as a Master class Light Magus, the extremists of the Goddess of Darkness believers would surely put him in their kill list. Once they obtain the information that Max can deal with high ranking demons, it was only a matter of time before they attack.

This was one of his grandmother's worry which is why he asked Evander to protect Max in their journey. The extremists from the Goddess of Darkness have been known to deal with potential threats to them. Blooming young mages murdered with cold blood, there were far too many examples which is why the Magic Tower made sure to secure mages with high potential. Their information is locked in their systems and only the higher-ups know of their existence.

However, for the last couple of years, there have been leaks with information which lead to the death of some young mages. One thing is for sure, someone was leaking the information and it was one of his grandmother's close confidante's in the magic tower.

Now that something happened to Max, she believes that it was not a coincidence. There are only a few people who knew their purpose in arriving in the Magic tower and those people are the ones who assessed Max's potential.

His grandmother was sure that it was not Verdi as she had made a pact in front of everyone that Max will be a friend to the elves and that he was always welcome to visit them. Verdi is well respected in the elven forest and considered part of the high council. She believes that if there was someone she could ask for help, it was from the elf mage Verdi.

This was also the reason why they did not let anyone accompany Max on his travel. It was very dangerous and full of peril. Protecting one person will be easier instead of many.

Evander did not hesitate to take it upon himself and protect Max in the journey. He might now show his emotions towards Max, but he has gotten close to the hard-working kid who never gave up. He was watching the kid grow up to be a man. He did not have a child in this life and Max was the closest to one he could ever have.

Not long after the whistle the two, monkey and man stood in front of their Master. It looks like they have used all their strength to run as fast as they could as both could be seen heaving and catching their breath.

Preya slowly moved towards her master and clung to his arms as usual. She did not have the energy to annoy Max as she just clung there like a koala not minding anything.

"We are only a day and a half away from the front lines if we continue without rest," His master paused and looked at Max while talking.

"…" Max

"Since it is almost sundown we will set camp here for you to rest," His master went back to his spot and sat there to meditate.

Max was glad he could eat and rest, he looked around and saw his unmoving master. It seems he had to take care of the food himself. He acted quick and prepared everything necessary like it was clockwork. He was used to feeding himself while he was training with his Master.

Looking at the horizon, he saw that he had perhaps an hour to catch a prey and prepare it.

2