Chapter 58: Front-line(6)
299 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max came back with a boar-like beast on his back. This type of beast can be regularly found in large forested areas. They are similar to the wild boars found on earth, only bigger and more robust. It has the ability to ram its enemies with its tusk to death with one hit using its full body's momentum and dash skill.

Max put down the boar and started to remove the blood from its body, he hanged the boar with a rope on a branch of a thick tree to drain its blood before cleaning the intestines and removing the parts that cannot be eaten. He stood up and began to make a bonfire that he would use to barbecue the boar. Max had some spices and salt to season the boar in his ring and took them out.

While he was traversing the forest to find his prey, he noticed an abandoned village not far from where he was standing. It was full of wreckage and destruction like a bandit group attacked the place. He checked the houses to find it filled with dust which means the people have been gone for a long time.

The premises were without monsters as there was a perimeter to keep the villagers safe. There were high concrete walls and a gate with a watchtower. Although it was not as tough as the capitals, they should be able to survive beasts and monster attacks before they can breach the village inside.

Though Max was having these thoughts, he kept his vigilance around the monkey who was staring at him from the corner of its eyes. He learned his lesson and did not want to suffer from its hands. He did not stay idle and continued to make preparations for their food.

Max pierced the boar with a stick and placed it over the fire, there was a crackling sound coming from the skin once it had contact with the fire, it made the air filled with the scent of seasoning and meat being cooked.

His Master stood up from his mediation and approached Max. Max glanced at his Master and started to serve him with tea that he had prepared earlier.

Once his Master reached for the tea, Max asked his question. "Master, what happened to the village near us?"

Evander began his spiel, "That place used to be a small village, it was used as a relay point by merchants passing by which made commerce and tourism flourish for some time."

His master paused for a bit to sip his hot tea and said, "However the demon race was able to bypass the checkpoints of the kingdom and killed most of the people and villagers in its wake. The ones that they did not kill was taken in as slaves, while some were used for their rituals. It was around 15 years ago, this was the reason your grandfather was given the task to be the protector of this kingdom. He was known as a righteous man who did not hesitate to accept the job knowing how hard it will be for him and his family. Since he was assigned to the frontlines, the demons were not able to breach the defenses of your grandfather. However, it is unknown how many demons single-handedly entered stealthily at the borders."

"Although the King offered up the lands to the nobles, most of them did not want to leave their luxurious lifestyles in the capital for a location which could be attacked by the demon race any moment. This location is only 2 days away from the capital with a flying beast, it should not be considered too near or too far but unfortunately the news that these villages have been ravaged by demon's frightened the nobles and citizens to travel using this route. Since commerce was dead, the merchants did not want to take over these lands." His Master lamented on these facts as though he can see everything like it was yesterday.

Max finally understood why there were no people by passing the roads, though they were moving fast they should be able to come across some carriages or travelers.

"The soldiers of the kingdom are the only ones who use this road to travel. Their necessities are brought to them by flying beasts with the help of storage rings so the army does not go hungry at the frontlines." His Master added. "This place has always been known as a war zone but no one had ever imagined that the demon race would attack stealthily and kill most of the people."

Max thought that there was a flaw in his Master's story, "Master, how are they able to take the people from the villagers as slaves to their own territory without passing the checkpoints of the army. Although it may lack in defense compared to what grandfather is doing now, there should still be enough manpower to guard the frontlines. The number of people that they took should have been detected by the army scouts. It is impossible to move quietly even if it was in the dark with regular people who are unorganized and untrained people. There are dozens of villages surrounding this area till the frontlines it should be hundreds of people walking together as a group. Who reported this information 15 years ago?"

His Master, Max and the monkey all ate in silence after their discussion.

2