Chapter 60: Front-line (8)
309 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Max was suddenly lifted high up in the air like a child. He looked down on the person who suddenly grabbed him. The person had gray hair, thick eye-brows with amber eyes, his nose was prominent with a crooked bridge, overall he had a strong square shaped face. His body could be compared to a young man's physique with his bulging muscles and sturdy body that can put any man to shame.

The person was having a laughing fit while playfully lifting Max. "You've grown so much. I can't believe my grandson is so big now," He finally put Max down while ruffling the hair on his head.

Max never thought that this energetic and enthusiastic person was his grandfather. He always thought his grandfather as a wise old man who led the people on the frontlines to protect the kingdom. Looking at him, he looked more like a warrior than an advisor.

Evander approached Max and his grandfather, "Domas my friend."

Domas, Max's grandfather approached Evander and gave him a big hug. "It's good to see that you are safe from your journey. I can't thank you enough for looking after my grandchild for all those years." Domas smile was one of appreciation.

"No need to thank me, my friend. It was my pleasure," Evander said with a smile.

"Once you two are done talking. We should all sit down and discuss our plans." Milana said to the side to remind the two of their purpose.

"That's right. We shall continue the family reunion later." Domas changed his expression into a serious one after hearing his wife's statement.

They all sat at the drawing table, on top was a map with details on attack and defense. Max found the map fascinating due to how huge and detailed it was compared to the ones he had seen.

"Domas discuss the important details for now. Look at Max, the poor thing is tired and looks haggard." Milana looked at Max with a doting gaze.

Domas gave his wife a nod and continued his speech, "The demons are currently positioned at the old Kertu Village just across the planes of Bien," he pointed on the location at the map. "The scouts have found approximately 50 demons but they haven't made any moves. They are the ones closest to our location. The demons' stopped their attacks two days ago and are only defending their current location. Another batch of demon platoons with their tamed monsters was found south of the village, judging from the scout's reports they are around thousands and will arrive in 3 days at their current pace." Domas looked at Evander as if trying to confirm something.

Evander gave a nod and left the meeting.

Milana stood up and took Max by the hand, "That's it for now. Let's go Max, I'll take you to your resting place."

"If there's anything you need, you can tell any of the soldiers." Milana would nod and smile at the soldiers who bowed and smile as they walk past them.

They continue to walk at the fortress while Milana, Max's grandmother gave him a tour around the fortress. There were thick walls that surrounded the whole fortress, the gates are sturdy with a mixture of wood and metals. There are designated locations where you can see barrier matrix placed strategically. There are watchtowers and soldiers that are stationed to keep an eye at the surrounding.

Across the walls, they placed magic cannons. These compact cannons use monster cores to be fired and are equivalent to a master class mage's attack.

Max could now comprehend how this fortress survived even with the relentless attacks of the demon race. The soldiers are all prepared and organized, they look ready to move out at any moment.

Compared to the soldiers that are being trained at the mansion in the capital, they were worlds apart. This was his first time seeing a war zone, even in his prior life he had not experienced firsthand what the frontlines looked like. He might have seen some records from the news or the internet, but nothing up close and personal like this.

Max was brought to one of the buildings that's near the infirmary. "This is where you will temporarily stay. We have prepared this place to be your lodging while waiting for the elven envoy." His grandmother kissed Max's cheek's and said, "You can rest easy here. There some food on the table and water to clean up. Come look for me when you wake up."

Max looked out the window after his grandmother left. This place was tight with security which makes the atmosphere intense. There are no young children wandering around the streets playing, nor the sounds of the busy streets filled with merchants and vendors. Instead, there are only the serious faces of the soldiers as they make their way to the battlefields.

Max ate some food and took a bath. It has been 3 and half days of travel without the chance of taking a bath. Taking a look at his body filled with grime, he decided to take a bath even though all he wanted to do is rest and sleep.

He touched the tub of clean water with his hand and felt it was cold. Unfortunately, he did not have the fire attribute. He could not heat up the tub of water to take a warm bath.

He removed all his clothes while dragging his exhausted body to the tub. Finally, he could relax and take a breather. The grueling journey reminded him of the transportation earth had. They were comfortable, relaxing and had air-conditioned. He gave a sigh while washing his body clean.

2