Chapter 151: One swipe, three swords.
122 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"A...sword, you say? You don't seem like a consciousness that escaped the host where you were born so I can't say that I see how you can be a sword. But more often than not, understanding and belief are the most important factors, even mere lingering desires can form life after all. But life tied to your sword? What extent does it reach?"

Hongzai accepted Yin Long's seemingly outlandish statement with relative ease, lightly resting her hand on her chin as she observed him. She had seen too many things in her long life, worlds and universes others probably couldn't dream of.

She had even met a couple that started out as nothing more than a desire to love, a desire so strong it gained sentience after the original body's death and continued to live on. If such a thing could exist then it wasn't too far-fetched that there could be a man who was a sword, a man whose life was tied to his blade. But when it came to the final question, Yin Long was actually as clueless as she was.

"I don't know, I only really understood the truth about it just now. My organs had indeed shut down, but what they stopped supplementing was given to me by the swords I had stored up instead. As for whether or not it can heal grievous wounds, I have no idea."

Yin Long's understanding could really only be called a moment of enlightenment, all that he had learned previously pushed up to the surface as a realization. So while he understood it, he simultaneously didn't, at least not its limitations and how it really worked. But he could guess what exactly it was that enabled it all, the parasitic aspect of his soul.

Energy became his swords, and his swords became his life, converted back into energy that he could use. From energy to sword and back to energy, that was the life-cycle of his weapons. But while Yin Long didn't know the limitations, there was a rather easy way to at least prod them, Hongzai knew that.

"Are you willing to... experiment to find out?"

She spoke rather slowly, enunciating her words heavily to get their meaning across. Xiao Yin Yu's expression cramped slightly as she understood exactly what sort of experiments it would be, but Yin Long still carried his excited grin, as if it would be nothing more than a new type of training for him.

"We're still going to be training, aren't we? When you spar against someone stronger, injuries are extremely common, no? So don't hold back, Hongzai, I still have much I want to learn."

Risk? Chance of death? Those were things you experienced the moment you left your own house, you could even experience them inside your own house at any moment. Yin Long had never feared any risks, any death, it would be worth it if he could use it to bring his sword, and by extension himself, to a higher level.

Hongzai had expected the answer, but hearing it from his upturned lips still made her unconsciously let out a breath. When they first met, he hadn't shown the least bit of fear that she might kill him in anger, he hadn't shown any fear that he might die while he showcased his moves. He kept striding forwards without fear, easily and eagerly accepting tasks that should be both impossible and lethal.

Whether he was a sword or not wasn't something she knew, but she was at least confident that no one else had a desire towards the blade purer than his, a dedication stronger than his. A man born for the blade, a gift to swords.

What sort of life had he led? What formed his pure desire and dedication? What road did he move on, both the one that got him here and the one he would take in the future? Her heart and soul smouldered with hatred, an extreme desire for eradication. But even that blackened heart bloomed with curiosity. She wanted to know, where he came from and where he would end up. His was a road that she wanted to continue on until it reached its end. And now, now she had become another brick in the path, so it was time to fulfil her role as one.

"You're right, accidents happen all the time while sparring. Rest for two days, eat and drink to recuperate as much as you can. Training will resume right after."

She felt a thud in her chest as she looked at that grin, tinged with crooked insanity and madness that couldn't be any purer. That which had seemingly died so many years ago started to slowly thump again, blood frozen by winter slowly flowing again in anticipation. Perhaps, even if she ended up failing in her final revenge, she would at least leave behind a blade that could cut apart even the seemingly eternal flood.

She turned around and left the cavern she had created, she had bought herself two days to alter the training scheme she had in mind. If there really was no need to fear Yin Long dying then she could take far more drastic measures. Yin Long didn't pointlessly insist on training again straight away, his swords would definitely need a bit of time to restore the drained energy. As such, he welcomed the rest, tilting his head towards Jin Wang and Yin Yu.

"Sorry, Goldie, Yin Yu. It can't have been pleasant to experience that, I'm sorry you had to go through it."

He didn't ask them any questions or give them any quick remarks, earnestly lowering his head and apologizing, even going as far as to place his fists on the ground to make it as formal as he could. As far as both of them knew, he had really died during that training, that spar would be the last moves of his that they ever saw.

Knowing the truth now was one thing, but the emotions they felt during those moments wouldn't just vanish, they would likely just become scars they wouldn't be able to forget. At least that was what Yin Long would feel if he was in their position, just thinking about it made his heart sink to the bottom of his stomach and chilled his blood.

His own death was one thing, he was willing to accept it if it meant strengthening his blade. But the death of those close to him? That was something he would never accept, something he would struggle against with all his might to prevent. To just have to sit there and watch it happen? That would be torment, the worst kind of hell he could imagine.

"It's a bit unfair if you lower your head like that, makes it hard to really dig into you about it. But I won't forget it, and I don't want you to either. To just watch someone dear to you die like that...it's painful, it's like a thousand dreams and desires shattering all at once, a future falling apart before your eyes. So be ready, Yin Long, I'll definitely dredge that pain up again one day and make you dance to my tune to ease my wounded heart."

Yin Yu wasn't shy about telling him how much it hurt, how she was definitely going to use it to make him obey her at least once. But that was one of the things Yin Long found enjoyable about her, that sincerity and honesty. It was the same with the pills she had given him before, she swore that she'd make him spit out all the value of the pills eventually.

It sounded greedy, but it was honest, it was also a subtle proclamation that they would be together even in the future. It was quite close to what Yin Long had taught Lan Yun, it was fine to be selfish and honest about it. It was something Lan Yun had learned quite well, it was part of the reason she was always so up-front about her desire and fondness for Yin Long.

Jin Wang's response was equally simple and straightforward, he lumbered over to Yin Long and simply laid down at his side, resting his maned head against Yin Long. Jin Wang was a fair bit larger than Yin Long so his mane obscured a good portion of Yin Long's torso, shrouding him in warmth as the golden strands brushed against him. Even a proud lion could feel hurt when the alpha he had chosen met his end, it meant that the lion had failed in even the simplest of his duties, protection.

"Sorry, I'd love to say I won't do it again, but I don't think I can promise something like that."

Yin Long stroked Jin Wang's mane somewhat apologetically, locking eyes with Yin Yu as he spoke. Would he stop that sort of training even if he got it under control? He couldn't honestly say no, it was an exhilarating feeling, a world he had never experienced before, he could definitely learn numerous things from it.

"It's fine, I've stuck close enough to you to know what you're like. And after all, isn't that determination and sincerity what keeps drawing people to you? We won't be thrilled about it, but some things we just have to accept, I'm sure Lan Yun would say the same."

Yin Yu's smile was a bit bitter as she shook her head. To follow someone and be by their side, while there were some things you could change, some directions you could bring them down when they moved towards a wrong path, you couldn't change everything. The moment you changed them too much, the person you followed wouldn't be the same anymore, they wouldn't be the one you had fallen for, it would be the end of your emotions, your bond.

Yin Yu wasn't Lan Yun, she had yet to enter a proper relationship with Yin Long. But she was still confident that Lan Yun would say the same. After all, hadn't she chased after Yin Long for even longer than her, knew him even better than she did?

Yin Long's smile turned a touch soft and gentle as he continued to sit there. He was truly blessed with good companions, to do wrong by them was definitely something that could be deemed a great sin, at least in his eyes.

Two days wasn't really a long time, at best it would feel like a minor interlude, at worst it would pass in a flash. And for Yin Long, the latter was the case right now, even if he was just resting alongside Yin Yu and Jin Wang. He ate and drank to nourish his body, the most training he did was mentally going over the things he had learned recently, organizing them and comparing them to other things he had learned to see where he could fit them in.

But in the end, the two days passed and the time for training resumed, Yin Long's lips curving up along with the sun as it rose. What would he experience next, what would he learn next? He had no idea, but he was looking forward to it all the same, coming here had truly been an excellent choice.

Hongzai beckoned him out of the cave and the two took up positions in the clearing outside, both holding their swords ready. Jin Wang and Yin Yu stood by not too far away, they didn't have the good fortune of receiving training, the best they could do was observe and learn.

"Prepare yourself, Yin Long."

Hongzai's voice was heavy, almost like a hammer against Yin Long's chest. She didn't mean that he should just prepare himself for the sparring match, there was also a chance that he would have to prepare himself for death. But saying that out loud didn't feel right, so she had resorted to that simple statement, perhaps in the hopes that death was not something either of them would have to prepare for.

"I'm always ready."

A simple statement in return, a solemn voice that was betrayed by the excited grin that uttered it. He didn't look the least bit ready, but Hongzai still nodded her head. And the moment her chin lowered due to the nod, Yin Long did indeed finish his preparations.

His world crumbled, 500 metres turning into 200 and then into 100, shrinking and breaking without end. In what felt like an instant, that great world of his had shrunk to a mere metre and a half, thousands of water droplets dancing in the air around him. And reflected in them all was just him, thousands of him all around, the only existence in that broken world of his.

But he didn't stop there, faint tinglings of music, both discordant and harmonious, gracing his ears. The figure of Hongzai appeared in his mind as a three-dimensional image, space reflecting her muscles and veins while blood formed a crimson light that flowed through her veins and showed the flow of her energy.

Time felt like it warped around him, it was much easier for him to utilize this miniature domain and sensory ability now that he already knew how to do it. He felt like he was ready for any move she might pull, he would at least be able to see it coming, blocking it would be a different question entirely.

The muscles he saw in his mind moved faintly, but he couldn't see any dissonance in the flow of her energy, it was harmonious all over without a single fault. He felt something pierce his world and his sword rose in response. But the only thing his blade touched was the handle of Hongzai's sword.

He had seen it coming, reacted faster than ever before. But the difference in strength was still too great, now that Hongzai wasn't going easy on him it would be borderline impossible for him to actually block successfully.

A flash of hot pain came from his throat, a terrible sensation of thirst swallowing his mind. But as that sensation threatened to devour his mind, another one also attacked him.

He was choking. His lungs tried to take in air, but all they received was a warm liquid, sticky and thick as it clung to the insides of his lungs. His mouth heaved, his nostrils flared, but no air entered his lungs. His throat was clogged by the thick liquid that continued to flow into his lungs, also filling up his stomach as it completely filled his throat.

There was no body of water around them, but right there, in that dry clearing, Yin Long was drowning. A single blade had sliced through his throat, opening both his trachea and his esophagus, and amidst the blood that poured out from the wound, a good portion of it flowed down those two tubes.

So Yin Long choked, his lungs and stomach flooding with blood. And in that broken world of his where time seemed warped, he felt it clearer than ever before, endured it for longer than he should have. His lungs filled until they couldn't even contract any longer, rupturing under the weight of his own blood.

He fell to his knees inside that broken world, his own dying body reflected a thousand times over around him. And in that clearing, so dry and peaceful, he choked on his own blood and died. In this whole wide world, perhaps he was the only one who had the poor fortune of having experienced their own death three times.

But then, in his soulsea, that deep blue sword he had formed using Hongzai's law of water, tinged with the emotion of thirst, exploded into countless pieces that sank into his soul. It became pure energy that flooded into his soul, preventing it from dissipating with his death.

The cyan sword formed from Yin Yu's wind and the crimson sword formed from blood exploded at the same time, but the bits of energy they became flooded his body instead. The rupture in his lungs was forced to close up, the blood pushed back up his throat and out from the gaping wound, which was then sutured shut by the energy.

It was death quite different from the previous one, it required much more to survive, the swords in his soulsea also had far less energy than they did previously. So one sword died to maintain his soul while two others died to maintain his body. One swipe of Hongzai had reaped three swords, leaving Yin Long with but a single blade. But in doing so, they all learned the grisly truth, they all understood just what sort of monster was currently kneeling with blood covering his entire torso.

4