Chapter 161: Second meeting.
105 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Space around Yin Long twisted for a bit longer than previously, several handfuls of seconds actually. It seemed like the fourth arena was located a good bit away from the third arena, it probably meant that you got access to more than just a few new locations upon passing through the halfway point.

He didn't extend the time it took for the twisting space to spit him out this time, he had used comparatively less energy in the previous fight so there was no real need for him to rest. As a result, the warping ended before long and the world around him returned to normal as his feet landed on a soft blue carpet.

The fourth arena was evidently all the more luxurious than the third one. Here, all the cold stone had been covered by a soft blue carpet, even the seats were covered by a fine layer of fur and then further adorned with a cushion, it was a stark contrast to the previous arenas. Yin Long instantly felt several new gazes land on him when he arrived, a prickling sharpness following one particular gaze.

He moved his head before he even heard or saw anything, tilting it to the side while maintaining his cool exterior. By the time he actually heard something, the sound of something cutting through the air, a spear had already passed right by his head. It cut a small wound into his cheek as it passed by him and embedded itself into the decorated seatings behind him, vibrating violently even after it dug itself into the stone.

Yin Long slowly raised his left arm and placed his finger against the spear, bringing its vibrations to an abrupt halt and silencing the droning sound they produced. His gaze ran along the trajectory of the spear and landed on the private booth that now had an additional hole in it, a pair of black eyes interlocking with a crimson pair filled with furious sharpness.

"You know, I'm pretty sure we're actually supposed to fight on the stage down there, not up here. Tao Tiankong, I don't think even you are exempt from those rules, correct?"

Yin Long's voice hardly carried any emotion as he spoke, not even as blood started to slowly drip down from the cut in his cheek. Tao Tiankong breathed heavily, his chest heaving slightly as he stood in his private booth. But Yin Long could see him quickly control his breathing, stepping out of the booth and slowly making his way over with a dark expression.

"Dear Yu, where is she?"

Strangely enough, the first thing Tao Tiankong spoke about wasn't the fact that Yin Long had used Netherworld Energy in the past, nor was it their previous scuffle. But after giving it a bit of thought, Yin Long reached a somewhat reasonable conclusion.

Strong people had their pride, the stronger they were the stronger their pride would be. And Tao Tiankong wasn't just strong, he had an exalted position, in the future he would be above ten thousand and beneath only one. Would a man like that be willing to let others know that someone much weaker than him had managed to not only slip out of his grasp but also wound him at the same time?

He had covered up all the wounds from back then, the molten half of his face had returned to normal and the blotches of raw flesh on his legs had probably also been healed up properly. But while the wounds may have healed and gotten covered up, the knowledge about them would forever be a stain on Tiankong's pride. But it was a stain he was able to bear, at least for as long as he alone knew about it.

So a stalemate appeared between them, he didn't think that Yin Long wanted others to know about his Netherworld Energy, and he didn't want others to know about their previous battle. But of course, he would have a myriad of ways to deal with Yin Long once this championship ended, he could get rid of him before he spread the news, right now there were just too many eyes on Tiankong for him to act freely.

"I'm fairly sure that she was quite vocal about you not calling her that, so how about you don't?"

Tao Tiankong's steps halted momentarily when he heard Yin Long's reply, his eyes narrowing faintly. He had only met Yin Long once, but he was someone that Tao Tiankong designated as dangerous, a man worth remembering. So he had kept all of Yin Long's previous actions in mind, his mannerism and the way he spoke, everything was placed into his mental archive so that it could be saved for the future. That was his way of showing respect for Yin Long, the man who managed to make even Tao Tiankong feel wary.

And it was due to this respect that he could tell that something was strange. This wasn't how the Yin Long in his memories acted. He spoke grandly back then, but it hadn't been due to any arrogance or the like, it was more akin to carefree freedom and determination. This calm and collected mannerism, as if he was trying to provoke Tiankong by showing off, wasn't something he should have, it didn't mesh with what he had already shown.

"You...You... I'm not in the mood to play games right now, you should understand that. Where is she?"

Tiankong's expression sank slightly as he spoke, he had to repeat himself at the very start because he realized that he actually didn't know Yin Long's name. His group of 180 people hadn't received any reports on the other 180 people that had earned the right to participate, and Yin Long hadn't introduced himself during their previous meeting so he didn't even know this one fundamental fact about this enemy. But what a shame it was for him that Yin Long had no intention of going along with Tiankong's plans, his gaze roaming across his body for a bit before he spoke up.

"You fixed up your face and legs, it must have taken a fair bit of effort to restore that much melted and dissolved skin. But I won't say too much about those wounds, I can't really claim that I caused them after all. But what about your waist, does it still hurt where I stabbed you? Does your soul still feel it?"

Most of Tiankong's wounds had been caused by Yin Long detonating his own swords, especially the swords he made using Bai Mu's laws. But there was one attack he managed to land on his own, that one single stab where he had driven his soul-formed sword directly into Tiankong's waist, and from there into his soul. That was a wound he could claim on his own merit, born from his own strength.

Tiankong's expression darkened further thanks to Yin Long's question, the sensation that something was wrong growing all the more thanks to it. But that sensation was only born from Tiankong's lack of understanding, he had no idea what Yin Long was thinking right now, what determination had been born.

Tiankong may be just fine with hiding everything for now until he could find the perfect chance to take down Yin Long later, but there was no guarantee that Yin Long was the same. No, to the current Yin Long, Tiankong was the perfect target. A famous name, a grand position, an existence that would always draw the eyes of the world. Tiankong was the perfect target for Yin Long to carve his name into, the perfect fertilizer for the fear he wanted to sow in the hearts of the people that wanted to target his sister.

"I don't know what you're going for, but don't forget that I know as much as you do. Some things should be kept hidden, don't you agree? After all, some truths are too heavy to bear."

The title of Netherworld Denizen was a title few wanted to bear, it was a stigma that would brand you as the enemy of the world. It didn't matter what position you had, if you received that stigma then you would be hunted by the world. Tiankong's way of talking also quietly revealed one thing, he had probably reached the top 50 by now so everything around him would be broadcast to the rest of the Dominion.

All he had to do was mention that one simple fact about Yin Long and he would be branded, hunted. But still, what a shame it was that the logic and reasoning that was so perfectly acceptable wouldn't work in this situation. To be hunted was what he wanted, to be feared is what he sought. Only when all the eyes in the universe were on him and him alone would he be content, because only then would no one even think to look at his sister while she quietly grew, no one would even have the presence of mind to lay a hand on her before she grew strong enough to take care of herself.

Yin Long wrapped his hand around the spear, pulling it out of the stone and holding it horizontally, the blunt end of the shaft pointing towards Tao Tiankong. He could feel Fang Yau's gaze on him, he had stepped out of his private booth at some point but had chosen not to interfere. He could tell that Yin Long was planning something grand, a great show that would let Fang Yau see how much he had learned.

And indeed, Yin Long had his plans. He held the spear loosely as he started to walk, the carpet sucked up the sound of his steps so the entire arena was as quiet as the grave. But he arrived in front of Tao Tiankong before long and stretched out his arm, presenting the spear to him as the corners of his lips turned up ever so slightly.

"Smile, won't you, Tiankong? The whole world is watching, so why don't we give them a show? This time, I'll reach you at least twice by my own effort."

6